SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

View Poll Results: Which form of HDTV support in Sage would you be MOST LIKELY TO USE.
ATSC (OTA) 100 46.08%
QAM (Cable) 66 30.41%
Firewire 51 23.50%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Sage User

I'd also like to see Sage and Sasem work more closely together so that I can stop worrying about whether the two programs are going to try to record at the same time (big no-no - at least with the current software).

Later,
Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Sage Expert

Now that I've gotten my HTPC to actually record something from my Comcast Motorola HDTV box, I would really love to see firewire recording added to Sage
Old 10-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Sage User

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I vote for Sage to support ANY HD card, and I just wanted to keep this thread on the front page to remind the developers how much we want it . Does anyone know if they are even working on it, or thinking about it. The last time I saw any real talk about it was before 2.0 came out. If they could just let us know if they have any future plans or not, I could sleep much better
Old 12-01-2004, 01:46 PM

Ditto to Ja'Mans comment about keeping this active. I myself have a fusionhdtv III card and would love Sage support for it.

samgreco, I am also a Comcast HDTV box subscriber. Could you go into some detail about what sorts of things you were able to record?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Sage Expert

I've only done some basic testing. Haven't had time to get deeper into it. But all of the info I used was from the AVSForum's HDTV Recording section. Works well, but very kludgy. Which is why it would be great to use Sage.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:17 AM

Just throwing in my vote for ATSC support. I've already got (for better or worse) the ATI HDTV Wonder. I've recorded HDTV with it already (using ATI's sw), and the picture was awesome. I'd love to have it integrated with Sage though. Til then...
Old 01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Since Conexant has introduced a new HD chipset recently, what do you think are the chances of Hauppauge coming out with a new HD card that Sage would support?

Just a thought.
Andy
Old 01-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370
Since Conexant has introduced a new HD chipset recently, what do you think are the chances of Hauppauge coming out with a new HD card that Sage would support?

Just a thought.
Andy
Please, more info on the new Conexant HD chips. Links?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're talking this:
http://www.conexant.com/servlets/Dow...df?FileId=1824

It's nothing special, there are similar things available on the MyHD, AccessDTV, and HiPix HD cards.

-edit

To clarify, this is basically just an HD MPEG decoder, it is not what we are all waiting for, which is an HD MPEG encoder chip.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Since I can't change my vote on the poll, I'd like to request QAM (Fusion III) support. I tried the ATI HDTV wonder in MCE2K5 using a variety of indoor antennas. Unfortunately, for my location, I really need an external medium directional - something I'm not too keen on mounting to my roof. Others in my area have already reported success receiving HD over QAM cable, so if I could have that pumped into Sage (3.0? 4.0?), that would be awesome!

FWIW, when I was able to lock on a signal with MCE, the picture quality was amazing. MCE is also rumored to be supporting QAM and CableCard technology in Spring/Summer '05.

I will be hitting refresh every 30 seconds tomorrow for the definitive feature set of 3.0, praying that it has HD support built-in.

Jason
Old 01-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
If you're talking this:
http://www.conexant.com/servlets/Dow...df?FileId=1824

It's nothing special, there are similar things available on the MyHD, AccessDTV, and HiPix HD cards.

-edit

To clarify, this is basically just an HD MPEG decoder, it is not what we are all waiting for, which is an HD MPEG encoder chip.
Stanger - why are you interested in an HD encoder solution ? Since OTA HD streams are already MPEG2, don't you just need a good hardware decoder to play back the stream ?

Just curious.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Sage Expert

FIREWIRE
FIREWIRE
FIREWIRE

Please Frey, come up with a plugin to take in a TS stream as a virtual input. The PQ of my SD and HD signals from the STB via firewire are stunning. No encoder needed, just record it! Should be an easy hit; channel changing of STB is accomplished as is already done.

I want my FIREWIRE; even before XCard OSD.

FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE
FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE FIREWIRE

This thread should be a sticky. It needs to be in Fry's face daily.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 01-05-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

what you need is to get sage tv to impliment HDTV as a MODULE seperate from sage tv and do this BEFORE july of this year so they can legally release it WITHOUT support for the broadcast flag

if they can not release it by july 2005 and do it as a module so they legally do not have to ALTER the module for future updates just forget about it since EVERY broadcaster will use the broadcast flag to inhibit what you can do with it

after july 2005 if they release anything it MUST support the broadcast flag by stupid federal mandate. (think macrovision for your pvr :-(

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipto
Stanger - why are you interested in an HD encoder solution ? Since OTA HD streams are already MPEG2, don't you just need a good hardware decoder to play back the stream ?

Just curious.
Because there's much more HD than what's just available OTA, and nearly all of that is encrypted until it get's sent out the component outputs of an STB. An HD component capture card (with encoder) would thus be able to record anything available in HD on component outputs, without any "You can't record this because it's encrypted" BS.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Stanger,

It looks like you are facing the same hassle that our friend Elvis ran into with promoting a real capture card. I just don't get how people can't see the fact that an analog HD 'encoder'/capture card IS THE ONLY REAL SOLUTION to this problem.

As for me, my front projector is easily capable of way beyond HD but if someone is putting limits on how I watch shows, I put limits on wether or not I'm a customer of theirs. I like HD, but it's not so much better that I give up freedom/flexibility.

-PGPfan
Old 01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Hi Stanger,

It looks like you are facing the same hassle that our friend Elvis ran into with promoting a real capture card. I just don't get how people can't see the fact that an analog HD 'encoder'/capture card IS THE ONLY REAL SOLUTION to this problem.
Yup, of course, cablecard is looking a lot more likely than when Elvis was pushing the DR card. So all hope is not lost. If Sage supports cablecard, as long as I can stream to a client, I'll deal. I seriously considered switching (or at least trying) MCE for OTA HD support, but once it occured to me that I couldn't have a server in one room and just a minimalist (no cards/HDDs) in the "HT" I gave up on that idea.

Quote:
As for me, my front projector is easily capable of way beyond HD but if someone is putting limits on how I watch shows, I put limits on wether or not I'm a customer of theirs. I like HD, but it's not so much better that I give up freedom/flexibility.

-PGPfan
I completely understand, HD just isn't the same kind of jump that VHS-DVD or analog TV->DVD was. I'll put up with a little inconvenience for really cool things like the Matrix or LOTR, but not much else. I thought I'd get every WMV-HD disc that came out, but after buying one, it's just not worth the hastle.

Hopefully CableCard and HD-DVD will be more userfriendly.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Cablecard......, it certainly sounds good. The limitation is for guys like me who are out in the 'boonies' and have to stick with satellite. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has been (or likely will be) a cablecard'esque solution for the satellite tuners.

That's the beauty of the 'full analog' HDTV card (as I'm sure you know), the compatibility with any method of reception. Alas, one can dream................

-PGPfan
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Sage Expert

I'm very much for an HD component encoder as well. In the long run, it's probably our only and last hope. I just don't see it coming any time soon but hope I am very wrong on that.

In the mean time, the STB firewire output from my provider is gratefully all free and clear. That could change with the push of a button at the head end and all is lost. I will enjoy it while I can with Ander's UNE and is something I can do here and now. But I don't relish an axe hanging over my head.

DFA
Old 01-27-2005, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Cablecard......, it certainly sounds good. The limitation is for guys like me who are out in the 'boonies' and have to stick with satellite. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has been (or likely will be) a cablecard'esque solution for the satellite tuners.
This is likely to really piss you off () but...

The technology exists and it rather common.
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/dvb_s.htm

However E* has set it up such that you can't just insert a card, IIRC the card is keyed/tied/whatever to your sat box. (of course D* uses some freaky MPEG 1.5 format, and not DVB either)

My hopes are 4 fold.

1) That cablecard on the PC will actually happen, MS wants it so there's hope.
2) That CableCard on the PC won't require MCE () nor a closed/pre-fab box
3) That CableCard on the PC will not be significantly restrictive, ie as long as you can stream to clients.
4) That CableCard on the PC will encourage Sat providers to enable CAM use in the PC.

Quote:
That's the beauty of the 'full analog' HDTV card (as I'm sure you know), the compatibility with any method of reception. Alas, one can dream................

-PGPfan
Yup, recording HDTV without requiring permision, it would be a wonderfull thing.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I want of these

Quote:
1) That cablecard on the PC will actually happen, MS wants it so there's hope.
2) That CableCard on the PC won't require MCE () nor a closed/pre-fab box
3) That CableCard on the PC will not be significantly restrictive, ie as long as you can stream to clients.
4) That CableCard on the PC will encourage Sat providers to enable CAM use in the PC.
just let me know when its available

Quote:
However E* has set it up such that you can't just insert a card, IIRC the card is keyed/tied/whatever to your sat box. (of course D* uses some freaky MPEG 1.5 format, and not DVB either)
got to hand it to both of them for being no considerate to the PC user

their are free to air cards which can pick up some of Dish networks channels that are not encrypted
carp like PAX, and such