SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question about HDHomeRun (Not Prime)

I want to record some HD shows from Free Air antenna and I did some searching on SageTV forum and found that HDHomeRun is the way to go.

But I have a question about HDHomeRun but it not the Prime or one with cablecable since I only wanted to record from Antenna. http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD...dp_ob_title_ce

Do I just hooked it up and connect it to the network then my SageTV should be able to detect it and let me set up a channel guide?

I won't need to use SageDCT or anything like this correct?

Thank you

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes. That's correct. And since the tuner can physically be anywhere on the network I have mine up in the attic with the antenna.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

One more question I forgot to ask ...

Will SageTV be able to decode the north American closed captioning (subtitles) from HDHomeRun and display it on screen?

Thank you

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

Yes to the CC. My dad does this all the time.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thank you to both of you for the quick response

I am gonna go ahead and get me a HDHomeRun Dual

But any of you have experience using the model one that have built in wifi? I think it a "Plus" model.

Would SageTV be able to detect this tuner wirelessly and add a Channel guide for it?

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Thank you to both of you for the quick response

I am gonna go ahead and get me a HDHomeRun Dual

But any of you have experience using the model one that have built in wifi? I think it a "Plus" model.

Would SageTV be able to detect this tuner wirelessly and add a Channel guide for it?

Bill
I do not believe any of the HDHomerun products have built in WIFI. I have (2) original HDHomeruns, (2) HDHomerun Duals and a prime and all are wired ethernet.
The HDHomerun duals are great for OTA with quick setup in Sage. Sage accepts them in tuner setup, after initial setup, with no fuss and guide data is provided by the Sage EPG.
You may want to inquire with others about the plus since it has the built in H.264 transcoder. Sage may not reconize it since it is a newer product and was released after Sage quit updating.
You may want to stick with wired ethernet and pass on the WIFI. The dual can be connected directly to the server and still used as a network tuner.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenice View Post
I do not believe any of the HDHomerun products have built in WIFI. I have (2) original HDHomeruns, (2) HDHomerun Duals and a prime and all are wired ethernet.
The HDHomerun duals are great for OTA with quick setup in Sage. Sage accepts them in tuner setup, after initial setup, with no fuss and guide data is provided by the Sage EPG.
You may want to inquire with others about the plus since it has the built in H.264 transcoder. Sage may not reconize it since it is a newer product and was released after Sage quit updating.
You may want to stick with wired ethernet and pass on the WIFI. The dual can be connected directly to the server and still used as a network tuner.

Maybe I read the product site wrong. I thought the HDHomeRun Plus had wifi built in but I went back and I probably assume by looking at the picture.

I went ahead and order the plain Dual one instead. Thank you for your inputs!

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Maybe I read the product site wrong. I thought the HDHomeRun Plus had wifi built in but I went back and I probably assume by looking at the picture.

I went ahead and order the plain Dual one instead. Thank you for your inputs!

Bill
Understand. The plus is being sold for those who stream, live tv to many different devices, since it has the built in h.264 encoder. You'll like the ease of the dual.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

I received my HDHomerun and set it up on SageTV server.

SageTV did detected two tuners and installed it but when I tried to tune in the channels from SageTV channel guide, I get is black screen and no signal box.

HDHomerun setup software are able to find all the channels and play back all the channels fine.

I did a channel scan in SageTV itself and it found no channels.

What I am doing wrong?

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I received my HDHomerun and set it up on SageTV server.

SageTV did detected two tuners and installed it but when I tried to tune in the channels from SageTV channel guide, I get is black screen and no signal box.

HDHomerun setup software are able to find all the channels and play back all the channels fine.

I did a channel scan in SageTV itself and it found no channels.

What I am doing wrong?

Bill
2 things make sure the application in the Hd Homerun setup software says Sagetv then make sure that SagetvService and Sagetv etc... have full access through the firewall. Reboot if u change anything described here.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
2 things make sure the application in the Hd Homerun setup software says Sagetv then make sure that SagetvService and Sagetv etc... have full access through the firewall. Reboot if u change anything described here.

There no "SageTV" in HDhomerun setup software, Where would I find that in? Maybe I overlooked it

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Windows firewall is turned off,

HDHomerun setup finds all the channels fine and display it with no problem.

SageTV channel scan is not finding any channels at all

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Found it under "Application tab"

Got it working ..

Thank you everyone!

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Found it under "Application tab"

Got it working ..

Thank you everyone!

Bill
HELP!!

"Application tab" where?? What did you change?

I've been beating my head against this for 2 days. Firewall disabled. Uninstalled and re-installed HDhomerun SW without having it scan for channels. No luck.

No info available from sage site anymore, and silicondust seems to have remove most SageTV info from their site, like SageTV specific installation instructions.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just added a HDHR Extend (for ATSC digital antenna) and I'm having the same problem: Sage won't tune the channel, or it tunes it with audio but blank video. My older HDHR still works fine.

Under the HDHomeRun Setup utility, in the Configuration tab "BDA Compatibility Mode" is set to "SageTV". In the Advanced tab, the "BDA Driver Virtual Channel Table" mode is set to "Auto".

Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Hi Bob Fand Carlton Bale. I was having the exact same issue and stumbled across this thread. I was able to resolve my issue by doing what I think others above are suggesting.

Look to see where your HDHomeRun software is installed. The easiest way is to check the properties of your HDHomeRun viewer to see where that is installed. There will be other .exe files there. For me, the path was C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun

There is an .exe file hdhomerun_setup.exe. I ran that, and it had an "Advanced" tab with a dropdown for Application. Mine was set to Windows Media Center, but I was able to switch it to SageTV. I think doing this will allow Sage to tune and display TV as others in this thread have stated.

After this, I was prompted to install updates in my HDHomeRun software. I did let that run. After that installed, I no longer had the Application dropdown in the Advanced tab of the setup program. However, SageTv is fully functional, and I couldn't be happier! For what it's worth, my HDHomeRun Setup Version is now 20150826 (found at the bottom of the Advanced tab.)

Hope this helps you!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage Expert

I just installed an HDHomeRun Extend to replace an older HDHomeRun that quit working.

I installed and configured it and it works fine in windows. SageTV sees it and I can configure the lineup and even scan and detect the channels. But when I try to preview a channel, it says I have 100% signal, but I get no video.

When I try to watch something live, it tells me 'no signal'. When I try to record a show, it records nothing.

I tried to run the setup program described in the previous thread, but I don't have the application dropdown at all. I wondering if maybe that only exists in older versions of the setup...

Any ideas? As of right now, my sageTV can't record anything at all.
Also, I disabled the windows firewall... it didn't help. And the setup program is version 20150826.

Last edited by Dargason; 01-24-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: new information
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
I just installed an HDHomeRun Extend to replace an older HDHomeRun that quit working.

I installed and configured it and it works fine in windows. SageTV sees it and I can configure the lineup and even scan and detect the channels. But when I try to preview a channel, it says I have 100% signal, but I get no video.

When I try to watch something live, it tells me 'no signal'. When I try to record a show, it records nothing.

I tried to run the setup program described in the previous thread, but I don't have the application dropdown at all. I wondering if maybe that only exists in older versions of the setup...

Any ideas? As of right now, my sageTV can't record anything at all.
Also, I disabled the windows firewall... it didn't help. And the setup program is version 20150826.
This describes my situation as well, with the only difference being that I do have the drop down and did select SageTV, but still had the same result.

One setting that I did just change but have not yet tested: I went to the web page hosted on the HDHomeRun and changed the "default transcode" setting to MPEG2 from MPEG4 (or something similar to that.) I'm hoping this might resolve the issue, but haven't tested it yet.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you folks had any luck? Was considering toying with OTA with a HDHR Extend....
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, I resolved the problem by visiting the webpage hosted on the device and changing the transcode properties. I can't remember exactly what I picked, but it fixed the issue.