SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wondering if anyone has tried the 2255 tuner

I wondered if anyone here has tried out the recently new Hauppage 2255 tuner found at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr2255.html

Seems they came out with it on July 17th and I just noticed it today while looking for updates to the 2250 tuner I am using now and wondered if it really does have better reception or not

The article from when it came out is at http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...267508431.html
Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

There's a bunch of reviews at NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=7081048&SID=

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 11-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post

Thanks brandypuff!!! I am reading the reviews now and appreciate your telling me where to find the reviews
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post

Brandypuff,
After reading a few reviews there I noticed they were for the 2250 tuner not the newer 2255 tuner as I have the 2250 tuner myself and know all too well how hard it can be to set up and tweak

I noticed on amazon that all they did there was update the profile page for the 2250 card there to the new 2255 card and all the old reviews for the 2250 card are now showing up for the newer 2255 card as I know this since I bought my 2250 card from amazon and followed my old purchase link to it and now the link points to the newer 2255 card so that is why I ordered the card directly from hauppage as I don't want to order the card from amazon and get a 2250 instead.

I got this response from hauppage sales when I asked what the difference between the 2 was
The difference between the WinTV-HVR-2250 and WinTV-HVR-2255 is negligible. The tuner on the 2250 went end of life and so we needed to replace it with a new tuner. As with all technology, the newer designs tend to be slightly better tweaked.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not sure that Hauppauge gave you current information there. I found this thread a few weeks ago - I haven't seen any updates on newer driver / firmware releases though:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...pointment.html
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
I'm not sure that Hauppauge gave you current information there. I found this thread a few weeks ago - I haven't seen any updates on newer driver / firmware releases though:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...pointment.html

Thanks CanadianEh!!! I am reading it now. I plan on testing the 2255 when I get time as it should be here in a few days.

I am currently using the 2250 with sage tv and is not as sensitive as the actual tuners in my tv as it tends to miss channels depending on the conditions

So far after installing the nvidia codecs mentioned elsewhere here , and using those instead of the codecs that came with sagetv have really helped out the tv tuner reception for some strange reason and channels that once were telling me no signal most nights are now recording my shows in hd.

I am still getting some weak signals during certain times of the day so I thought I would try using the 2255 to improve the reception. I just hope sage tv recognizes the tuner as something it can use when I set it up instead of it telling me it's not supported with the tuner supposedly being new and not technically supported by sage tv officially.

Hoping also my experience with the 2250 gives me a leg up on installing it and allow me to troubleshoot any problems with it by using solutions that work on the 2250 with the 2255
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Trallyus,

I'm curious about your findings with it, as well. I've cut the cable and am moving to a new home at the end of the month, where OTA is borderline deep frindge. I'm hoping to be able to point at two different antenna towers in complete opposite 180 degrees, of course both being UHF and VHF to make it more fun

Regardless, I did some research online but ended up buying an HDHR4, as it's supposedly one of the more sensitive tuners out there, but also because of the Android signal strength app and ability to tune to RF stations that are not picked up in a channel scan to help aide me in pointing the new antennas.

I recently found this other thread that seems to state that the Hauppauge 1265 might be the new king of signal strength/sensitivity, but YMMV. If I find my reception of a couple channels stays on the digital cliff, I may pick one of these up to experiment.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tv-tuners.html
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Hi Trallyus,

I'm curious about your findings with it, as well. I've cut the cable and am moving to a new home at the end of the month, where OTA is borderline deep frindge. I'm hoping to be able to point at two different antenna towers in complete opposite 180 degrees, of course both being UHF and VHF to make it more fun

Regardless, I did some research online but ended up buying an HDHR4, as it's supposedly one of the more sensitive tuners out there, but also because of the Android signal strength app and ability to tune to RF stations that are not picked up in a channel scan to help aide me in pointing the new antennas.

I recently found this other thread that seems to state that the Hauppauge 1265 might be the new king of signal strength/sensitivity, but YMMV. If I find my reception of a couple channels stays on the digital cliff, I may pick one of these up to experiment.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tv-tuners.html
My experience with the 2255 tuner is as follows for those wanting to know how it compares to the 2250

I am used to installing the 2250 so I uninstalled those drivers and shut down my pc and removed the 2250 and installed the 2255 and installed the drivers after I rehooked up my pc and sage tv for some reason wanted me to select my country region as if my sage tv setup was a new installation for some reason but it remembered my old recording settings, etc.

When adding the new tuner to sage tv it showed up as a Hauppage WinTV-7164 tuner and the secret to installing tuners from Hauppage so they work right after you pop them in your pc is when you add your new tuner, when sage tv asks you to scan for new channels , do not do that and instead leave the channel setup alone.

Do this for each Hauppage Tuner your using and when done setting up your tuners, you may want to skip the playback test too as well. After all this you need to reboot your pc and then fire up sage tv and run a channel scan on each of your tuners and you should have no problems.

If you don't do the above , I found that after a new tuner is installed and you try to do a channel scan after adding the new tuner the scan will bomb out since the tuner will still be in use from adding it to sage tv. At least that happens all the time when I don't reboot after adding the tuners.

Once I rebooted and scanned for new channels the 2255 found the same amount of channels as my 2250, but there is a problem.

I was using the "Signal Strength on OSD" plugin by 3DOptics to compare the signal strength of the 2250 with the 2255 and it works great with the 2250 but for channels that were weak on the 2250 it shows 0% signal on those channels with the 2255 and puts the words "No Signal" over the picture even though the signal on the 2255 tuner is great !!!

Also on the strong channels that used to show 100% signal strength on the old 2250 tuner with that same plugin is now showing 90% or less for the 2255 so the "Signal Strength on OSD" plugin by 3DOptics either needs updated to be used with the new 2255 card or not used by owners of the 2255 card until 3DOptics updates the plugin to return the correct results for the tuner.

By the way, not sure if it is my imagination or what but the playback with the card of older episodes recorded with the 2250 seems snappier to me as with my 2250 card when I was watching a recording of Mysteries of Laura playing back with the 2250 and opening chrome the playback of it would stop the playback on sagetv until i would click the screen and then it would play some and pause etc but I did not notice that yet with the 2255 card and the weak channels that I used to have with the 2250 are coming in great even though the signal strength for them says 0%

Now if they would just update my 1600 hauppage tuner I would be happy