SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Sage User

xmltv-plugin and channels

Hi,

I'm currently testing SageTV (again) and I'm totally lost while trying to include epgdata-support.

I have installed the xmltv-plugin and generated the epgdata.xml with nextview. I'm living in germany, so there is no xmltv grabber available.

Everything works fine and I can see the epgdata in SageTV, BUT the channels are absolutely scrambled. It seems that there is a set of channels with "no data" but tv and a set of channels with data but no tv. :-(

How can I "connect" the right tv-channel with the right "data-channel"?

I hope the "Remap" feature will help there, but the documentation about it is very umeaning for me.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Sage User

Hi,

now I'm a little bit further, it seems that I have to remap the channel with the correct data to the channel-number with the correct tuning. But now I'm missing a lot of channels, are they overwritten while remapping?

The channel setup is really anoying for us europeans! ;-)
Old 07-04-2004, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Tell me about it...

The channel numbers in Sage correspond to a set of TV broadcast frequencies pre-defined in Windows. (you can see which is which in Microsofts webpages). This may help you to see which TV station is on which Sage Channel number. (* note you can re-order this numbering by hacking the registry: see here).

Your second problem is that Sage is only letting you set up the same number of channels that you are importing via XMLTV, leaving you wilth no way of selecting the 'missing channels'.

I got around this by adding a bunch of dummy channels to my XML file -- channel definitions with no programme data -- so that Sage would allow me to tune to them... I defined a 'dummy.xml' file containing channels that I could not get in XMLTV, and combined that with my epgdata.xml using:
xmltv tv_cat dummy.xml epgdata.xml > epgdata_new.xml
I do this every time I make an XML file, but I think it only really needs to be done once. You can trigger a re-read of the XML file by going into channel setup, toggle enable/disable of a channel and then hitting Done.

Example 'dummy.xml' follows. Just make sure the channel ID values are unique with this file and youe epgdata.xml file.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">
<tv generator-info-name="hand crafted by nielm">
  <channel id="TVBru">
    <display-name lang="fr">TVBru</display-name>
  </channel>
  <channel id="MCM">
    <display-name lang="fr">MCM</display-name>
  </channel>
  <channel id="MTV">
    <display-name lang="fr">MTV</display-name>
  </channel>
  <channel id="VH1">
    <display-name lang="fr">VH1</display-name>
  </channel>

Last edited by nielm; 07-04-2004 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by mewert
Hi,

now I'm a little bit further, it seems that I have to remap the channel with the correct data to the channel-number with the correct tuning. But now I'm missing a lot of channels, are they overwritten while remapping?

The channel setup is really anoying for us europeans! ;-)
Just wondering: how did you remap the xmltv data with the right channel id's?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I you know the frequencies, look at the MSDN page linked above to see what channel numbers they are (some tv show the channel numbers and some cable suppliers' websites have the freq info)

If you don't, use WinTV200 to autotune all channels, look at all freq's found in WinTV2000 and then use the MSDN page to see what channel numbers they are.. (see also the comments in the remapping thread

Or the slow method -- look at each channel number 1 to 99 and see what is showing, using remap to select higher channel numbers.

If I remember rightly the Netherlands uses non-standard freqs, so you may need to manually finetune certain channels by modifying the registry (see here: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ht=netherlands)
Old 07-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I know about the problem that the best way to tune the channels is by doing this manually and than copy thme correct values into the Windows registry. For that purpose I use Freqcopy. But that is not my problem.

The problem I have is that in the xmltv data VRT/TV1 is placed at number 5, but in my channel list at number 15....

So how do I make it clear that xmltv(5)=channel_id(15) ?
Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Sage User

You have to click on the Remap button at channel 5 and enter the value 15, if I'm not totally wrong.

BTW I have noticed, that I have to manually tune the missing channels, too. They aren't recognized even by win2k.

Hit me if I'm wrong, but I'm very sure, that I hadn't this problem with WinME. I switched to WIndows XP lately...
Old 07-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

just that simple? yep, just that simple... thanks!

It works 100%

(excuse my happy feeling)
Old 11-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Sage User

Hi Xmltv Experts!

I have read almost everything and now everything almost works (c:
Thanks everybody! for all your posts

1)
my problem is the Dummy channels!
I have just added them to the bottom of the "tv_grab_dk.conf" and that gets me the channel name in the epgdata.xml with a NO DATA in Sagetv will this give the same result as in making a dummy file and adding the to xml files together?

This is what I have done:

TV listings-Denmark.bat:
C:\epg\xmltv.exe tv_grab_dk --config-file C:\epg\tv_grab_dk.conf --offset 0 --days 7 --output "C:\epg\epgdata-tv2.xml"

Merge epgdata.bat:
C:\epg\xmltv tv_cat dummychannels.xml epgdata-tv2.xml --output C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\epgdata.xml

When I run the "Merge epgdata.bat" this I get this error:
Technologies\SageTV\epgdata.xml: Couldn't open Technologies\SageTV\epgdata.xml:
No such file or directory at /PerlApp/XMLTV.pm line 588

The result file is a epgdata.xml file with only the channels merged without any of the tv listings? like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">

<tv source-info-url="http://tv.tv2.dk/tv" source-data-url="http://tv.tv2.dk/tv" generator-info-name="XMLTV" generator-info-url="http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/">
<channel id="001.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>TV 2</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="002.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>TV 2 Zulu</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="003.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>DR 1</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="004.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>DR 2</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="005.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>3+</display-name>
</channel>
<channel id="006.tv.tv2.dk">
<display-name>TV3</display-name>
</channel>

And nothing else? all the TV information is gone!

Any help is much appriciated!

Have a nice weekend
Casperse

Last edited by casperse; 11-07-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Sage User

Exclamation

Okay I ended up doing it by just adding the missing dummy channels into the "tv_grab_dk.conf " file
This gives a error when running it but it works and I do get the Dummy channels into SageTV.

So I cant really understand why people use the "xmltv tv_cat" command?

The channel is still sortet correctly by the registry hack

Best regards
Casperse
Old 11-08-2004, 03:01 AM
SageTVaholic

tv_cat needs to be used because not all xmltv grabbers add dummy channels just by adding them to the .conf file