SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
0.0.3 is working great here!!

Transcode works too, except for one problem I found. If I tune to a channel which is 1080i, the recording seems to crash randomly and doesn't restart. If I disable deinterlacing during transcode, it's stable.
Disabling deinterlacing probably lowered your CPU usage.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Disabling deinterlacing probably lowered your CPU usage.
Yes it did. That dual core celeron was trying it's hardest to do the job. The funny thing is it spiked at 100% for about 5-10 seconds, then leveled out at ~85%-90% during the live transcode for a while. Removing the Deinterlace lowered usage into the 70s. If that was it, no biggie. It's not like being barely able to transcode one stream live would be sustainable. I will delegate that off to a VM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes it did. That dual core celeron was trying it's hardest to do the job. The funny thing is it spiked at 100% for about 5-10 seconds, then leveled out at ~85%-90% during the live transcode for a while. Removing the Deinterlace lowered usage into the 70s. If that was it, no biggie. It's not like being barely able to transcode one stream live would be sustainable. I will delegate that off to a VM.
There is a FFMPEG that does hardware transcoding maybe jvl711 can see if it can be used.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Medi...GPU-Tanscoding
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
There is a FFMPEG that does hardware transcoding maybe jvl711 can see if it can be used.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Medi...GPU-Tanscoding
It doesn't look like my processor (Intel Mobile Celeron Dual-Core 1017U) would fit the bill http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced...rketSegment=DT
Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

With all 3 recording I am between 65-80% CPU usage. This is a xen Windows 7 VM in the latest unRAID. Signature has current hardware. I've got 4 cores dedicated and it seems to be working pretty well.

I had to use nyplayer's properties file to get all 3 to record .ts, only the first would record that way.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It doesn't look like my processor (Intel Mobile Celeron Dual-Core 1017U) would fit the bill http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced...rketSegment=DT
I think Quicksync came in with Sandy Bridge.

Hm, the transcoding makes this even more interesting. I sort of stopped reading for a while, but will this work with Clear QAM too?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe it should work with all HDHomeRun's, as it is accessing the stream and tuning using silicondust's config program, which is the same for all of their tuners - so... maybe?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I believe it should work with all HDHomeRun's, as it is accessing the stream and tuning using silicondust's config program, which is the same for all of their tuners - so... maybe?
I tested all my tuners I have the Original 2 input tuners a Dual Tuner and the newer Dlna Ota tuners. They all work I am going to switch to using the encoder for all my tuners. No more faulty recordings.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

NYP, how does this compare with SageDCT? Is it basically equivalent - it does not use "dump" method, rather using ffmpeg?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
NYP, how does this compare with SageDCT? Is it basically equivalent - it does not use "dump" method, rather using ffmpeg?
It uses FFMPEG but you can easily update the FFMPEG to the latest just dowload and drop into folder... SAGDCT is using old FFMPEG and also does not work with OTA HD homeruns. This one does and it can also trans-code to h264 as you record... if you have cpu power.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-25-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Okay here is a strange one for you. installed version 2 on the main server and set everything up. I used the load at start up option in the sage.properties file. Opened sagetv on the server as a client worked fine found the channels and changed fine. I then tested the extenders and they worked fine. So i did my typical server reboot to make sure everything was working after a reboot. I tried tuning a channel on the extender got the error message tuner not found. Started sage client on the server and the channels tuned fine. I went back to one of the extenders and it tuned fine. When using the load in sage.properties file I have to start sage as a client on the server or it won't tune on the extenders. Has anyone else had this problem firewall is off so it's not that. If I start the java file using java -jar it all works fine. I'm just trying to find out if it's my setup or a bug.

Thanks Mark
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have occasional and not terribly annoying pixelation from time to time with my Prime/SageDCT setup.

Is there a chance that this new encoder would resolve that issue?

If so I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks,
uberpixel
Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
I have occasional and not terribly annoying pixelation from time to time with my Prime/SageDCT setup.

Thanks,
uberpixel
sounds more like a signal strength/noise issue.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
sounds more like a signal strength/noise issue.
Not necessarily I had the Same problems with SageDCT and it went away with this network encoder. SageDCT ffmpeg is outdated.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

With the "realtime" transcoding.. will that keep commercial markers generated from the commercial detection plugins? If so... I'm willing to give up my stable SageDCT and would love to do some testing My Sagetv server is virtual with 4 vCPU.. but I have room to increase that if I need some more "oomph" for transcoding. If it can transcode to h264 as it records, then I should be able to make my Roku's happy with being able to play back the files as opposed to the standard .ts SageTV files...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
With the "realtime" transcoding.. will that keep commercial markers generated from the commercial detection plugins? If so... I'm willing to give up my stable SageDCT and would love to do some testing My Sagetv server is virtual with 4 vCPU.. but I have room to increase that if I need some more "oomph" for transcoding. If it can transcode to h264 as it records, then I should be able to make my Roku's happy with being able to play back the files as opposed to the standard .ts SageTV files...
No, the live transcoder is writing the transcoded file directly to the drive, there' s never a non-transcoded file for comskip/SA to analyze. That said, the donator version of comskip does support h.264 files (though I'm not sure about them being in an MKV container).

Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
No, the live transcoder is writing the transcoded file directly to the drive, there' s never a non-transcoded file for comskip/SA to analyze. That said, the donator version of comskip does support h.264 files (though I'm not sure about them being in an MKV container).
Hmm... I do have the donator version... but that's why I never really got into transcoding my SageTV recordings in the first place. While it works for the most part, the occasional hiccup with placing a commercial cut in the wrong place made automatic commercial removal a no go. If I did really want to keep something, I would always use VideoRedo to check/edit all the cuts first.

My experience with trying it on h.264 files was always even more "hit or miss" with detection due to the slight loss in quality.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Okay here is a strange one for you. installed version 2 on the main server and set everything up. I used the load at start up option in the sage.properties file. Opened sagetv on the server as a client worked fine found the channels and changed fine. I then tested the extenders and they worked fine. So i did my typical server reboot to make sure everything was working after a reboot. I tried tuning a channel on the extender got the error message tuner not found. Started sage client on the server and the channels tuned fine. I went back to one of the extenders and it tuned fine. When using the load in sage.properties file I have to start sage as a client on the server or it won't tune on the extenders. Has anyone else had this problem firewall is off so it's not that. If I start the java file using java -jar it all works fine. I'm just trying to find out if it's my setup or a bug.

Thanks Mark
I have seen this occasionally. I think the issue is that Sage waits to the waayyyy end of the startup procedure to load the runnable classes, so when it checks the Network Tuners it does not find it. I am surprised Sage does not recheck when there are no tuners. I got to Detailed Settings -> Tuners and then try to tune a channel again. Sage usually finds the tuners then. I will add this to the known issues list.

I would suggest using the command line option possibly as a scheduled task if this is bothering you.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post

Thanks,
uberpixel
That is exactly the reason I wrote this. SageDCT was giving me random pixelation and sound pops. I would guess your problem is either network related, or SageDCT.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

If anyone can think of a quick easy way to get the resolution from the HDHomeRun prior to transcoding the stream let me know. Here is the only option I could find:

ffmpeg -i udp://iport

The problem with doing it this way is it returns a big long mess of data, and it takes ~4 seconds to return. I want to get the size of the stream prior to starting the transcode process.