SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think I almost have the new server up and running. But I seem to have trouble recording off multiple tuners on one of my HDHR primes.

For tuners 0-2 I am able to utilize all 3 tuners simultaneously. But tuners 3-5, as soon as I start a second recording, it says no signal received.

Sample log from tuners 1 & 2 (working) and 4 & 5 (not working).

I have tried rebooting as well as cycling the power to the HDHR Primes. And this did not happen on the old server (but was running an earlier version of PrimeNetEncoder as a runnable class in Sage).

Thanks for any guidance/assistance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder.txt (2.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner1.txt (3.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner2.txt (3.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner4.txt (6.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner5.txt (6.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-13-2015, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by civerson4 View Post
I think I almost have the new server up and running. But I seem to have trouble recording off multiple tuners on one of my HDHR primes.

For tuners 0-2 I am able to utilize all 3 tuners simultaneously. But tuners 3-5, as soon as I start a second recording, it says no signal received.

Sample log from tuners 1 & 2 (working) and 4 & 5 (not working).

I have tried rebooting as well as cycling the power to the HDHR Primes. And this did not happen on the old server (but was running an earlier version of PrimeNetEncoder as a runnable class in Sage).

Thanks for any guidance/assistance.
Do you use autodiscovery whan you setup the tuners?... In SageTV .... can you post your sagetv.properties entries for the 2 primes units.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes. Everything was discovered/tuners added through Sage.

The tuners section of the sage.properties file is attached. Two things to note:

1. It includes the Colossus tuner I have installed
2. I deleted one of the video sources (tuner 5 or 13219718-2) as a part of trouble shooting--which I think is why it is only showing 5 HDHR tuners. I can easily add it back through Sage if you think that will help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt HDHR Sage Properties.txt (14.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

PrimeNet with Sagetv9

The instructions for installing (in the download of RC1) are written for v7. I just installed v9 in a new ubuntu 15.04 lxc container and just wanted to ask if the instructions in 5b will work for v9.

Or ... a better question: What is the recommended installation method for sagetv v9?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo View Post
The instructions for installing (in the download of RC1) are written for v7. I just installed v9 in a new ubuntu 15.04 lxc container and just wanted to ask if the instructions in 5b will work for v9.

Or ... a better question: What is the recommended installation method for sagetv v9?
I was under the impression that PrineNetEncoder depended on the windows HDHomeRun .exe's, so would not work on Linux.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would assume that PrimeNet should be able to use the hdhomerun_config tool in linux.

I would love to see this packaged into a plugin or, even better, HDHR-Prime support in SageTV natively.

fwiw, Right now, I am using MythTV as my backend (because I don't own any Windows boxes) and SageTV HD300 as my frontend (because it's still the best and comskip just friggin' works).
Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I would assume that PrimeNet should be able to use the hdhomerun_config tool in linux.

I would love to see this packaged into a plugin or, even better, HDHR-Prime support in SageTV natively.

fwiw, Right now, I am using MythTV as my backend (because I don't own any Windows boxes) and SageTV HD300 as my frontend (because it's still the best and comskip just friggin' works).
You are correct. This was designed to work in Linux as well as Windows. It should technically work in any OS that HDHomeRun and ffmpeg support.

Josh
Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

If you are referring to the note in the install guide. I have not released a new version that implements those features yet. I am waiting until 9 is a little more mature. I would suggest that you run PrimeNetEncoder as a background job. You should first run it as a foreground task until you know that it is working properly. I have tested it against v9 in windows and linux. It should work. I do not have a specific method that I would use to launch on linux. I am currently using windows as my production sage box.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Sage User

PrimeNetEncoder Setup Issue - No Tuners In Sources Screen

I am stuck with getting my new HDHomeRun Prime up and working - AFAIK I am setting it up correctly, but I do not see the tuners in Sage 7.1.9 - I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction...

Prerequisites:
I had/have a functioning SageTV Server installation;
Installed HD HomeRun Prime and verified correct setup and operation (HD HomeRun firmware ver. 20150826);
Current Java version is Version 8 Update 66 (build 1.8.0_66-b18) - this was just updated today from v.8 - 65;
Set up all port openings in firewall per instructions (although at this point the PrimeNetEncoder PC and SageTV Server are installed the same machine);

Downloaded PrimeNetEncoder 1.2.5 and extracted all contents to a temporary folder;

Copied PrimeNetEncoder contents to folder C:\PrimeNetEncoder;

Downloaded FFMPEG package from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ - Using Stable 64-bit build;

Verified the device ID (13221AC0) and IP address (192.168.1.13) of HD HomeRun Prime using the 'HDHomeRun_config.exe discover' command:
C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config discover
hdhomerun device 13221AC0 found at 192.168.1.13

Ran PrimeNetEncoder.bat and verified that it had created a PrimeNetEncoder.properties file - closed PrimeNetEncoder;

Modified PrimeNetEncoder.properties file to reflect proper tuner(0,1,2).id=13221AC0, and proper path to the hdhomerun_config.exe (HDHomeRunConfig.path=C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe);

Checked sage.properties file for properties to enable network encoders and discovery - the encoding_discovery_port=8271 was set, the network_encoder_discovery was set to False - changed to True;

From the command prompt in the C:\PrimeNetEncoder ran PrimeNetEncoder.bat with the result:

C:\PrimeNetEncoder>primenetencoder

C:\PrimeNetEncoder>java -XX:-UseBiasedLocking -XX:NewSize=50M -Xms128m -Xmx256m
-jar PrimeNetEncoder.jar
PrimeNetEncover Version: 1.2.5
Author: jvl711
(I have also used the runencoder.bat file with the same result):
C:\PrimeNetEncoder>runencoder.bat
C:\PrimeNetEncoder>CD /d "C:\PrimeNetEncoder\"
C:\PrimeNetEncoder>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe" -jar PrimeNetEncoder.jar
PrimeNetEncover Version: 1.2.5
Author: jvl711

Copied PrimeNetEncoder.properties and ffmpeg.exe to the \SageTV folder;

Copied PrimeNetEncoder.jar to the C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\JARs folder;

In the sage.properties file, modified the property
load_at_startup_runnable_classes to reflect the following:
load_at_startup_runnable_classes=jvl.primenetencoder.PrimeNetEncoder;

Started the SageTV service;

Started the SageTV application - it came up to the Add New Source screen but is only displaying the Colossus card I still have in my system, and what Sage was working with previously. This is where I cannot go any further. I am sure I am doing something fundamentally wrong at some point; but I can't find what and where in the process - I thought writing it out and working through it again would help, but no joy... I have included my PrimeNetEncoder.properties and discovery.txt files, my sage.properties file and the tuner(x).txt files in the attached .zip file - if someone could take a peek I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Gordy
Attached Files
File Type: zip gordyp-PNE Files.zip (65.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 AM
SageTVaholic

For starters, it is not currently recommended that you have Sage launch the PrimeNetEncoder.jar process. The newer versions depend on the settings passed in the batch file to operate properly, so it's best to have the batch file run from scheduled tasks on startup. Set that up and restart the system. Sage SHOULD do it's discovery as the service is starting, and find the prime process. It has not seen it yet, otherwise mmc entries would have been added to your sage.properties file automatically.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-20-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

duration_for_halt_detection

Has anyone getting "Halt detected in recording" errors tried playing with the "seeker/duration_for_halt_detection" setting in sage.properties? Does it do anything when using PrimeNetEncoder?

I'm continuing to get Halt errors even after reading this entire thread and trying every idea put forth. It's getting really frustrating. I've been getting them occasionally with PNE ever since I switched from SageDCT to PNE 1.0.1 in August 2015 (and I was getting them occasionally with SageDCT as well), but they worsened significantly after I upgraded to PNE 1.2.5 in October. I've considered going back to SageDCT since Andy fixed the issue with the HDHR firmware update that had broken SageDCT, but I'm not convinced that SageDCT is any more reliable in terms of recording errors. It appears that there is some kind of timing or race condition that can cause SageTV to generate Halt errors with either network encoder.

I've done at least all of the following (the ones I can remember right now):
  • PrimeNetEncoder running from Task Scheduler at Windows startup with Priority=2 (High priority). I started with Priority=4 (Normal) as recommended, then bumped it up to see if it helped with Halts.
  • Replaced my Realtek motherboard NIC with an Intel PCI-Express NIC.
  • Run the HDHR network packet loss tests and confirmed clean network traffic.
  • Disabled all offloading in the NIC driver.
  • Made sure I had plenty of CPU overhead and drive bandwidth (i5-2500K CPU with 8GB memory, WD Black hard drives, CPU load around 6% even when recording on all three HDHR Prime tuners).

After seeing a reference to this Sage setting in the SageDCT thread, I wondered if it might help with Halts, but I don't know what the units are or what changes might help (60000 is the default).

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 11-21-2015, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I had similar problems recently after doing windows updates I found out in Windows 10 just turning off the firewall was not enough. I had to add exceptions to the firewall for each program .... ffmpeg.exe , java.exe , sagetvservice.exe and the hdhomerun stuff.

By turning off the firewall it is not really completely off as you have to also shutdown the windows firewall service. So rather then turning it off I added exceptions to all the programs in Sagetv, hdhomerun and primnetencoder.

Make sure to use the firewall window in the screen capture below. Make sure you check both private and public boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall.jpg (110.1 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-21-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I had similar problems recently after doing windows updates I found out in Windows 10 just turning off the firewall was not enough. I had to add exceptions to the firewall for each program .... ffmpeg.exe , java.exe , sagetvservice.exe and the hdhomerun stuff.

By turning off the firewall it is not really completely off as you have to also shutdown the windows firewall service. So rather then turning it off I added exceptions to all the programs in Sagetv, hdhomerun and primnetencoder.

Make sure to use the firewall window in the screen capture below. Make sure you check both private and public boxes.
I get No Signal errors whenever I turn on the Windows Firewall, even with the FW set to allow SageTV, SageTV Service, Java, ffmpeg.exe, all of the HDHomeRun processes, and even PrimeNetEncoder.jar. I can ONLY get SageTV to recognize the turners when running PrimeNetEncoder if I turn the FW off. That was true in Windows 8.1 as well.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 11-21-2015, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsouthard View Post
I get No Signal errors whenever I turn on the Windows Firewall, even with the FW set to allow SageTV, SageTV Service, Java, ffmpeg.exe, all of the HDHomeRun processes, and even PrimeNetEncoder.jar. I can ONLY get SageTV to recognize the turners when running PrimeNetEncoder if I turn the FW off. That was true in Windows 8.1 as well.
I am having problems with PrimeNetEncoder too trying to record more than one it appears to be losing the tuners. It just started happening I know Comcast is changing to H264 in my area. I really do not record too much from my primes usually 1 show if any. Usually all my shows are in ASTC.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsouthard View Post
I see you are on Comcast too are they in the process of going to H264 in your area?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am still having issues with my new Windows 10 Sage server and the most current PrimeNetEncoder (windows 7 server using PrimeNetEncoder 1.01 is working flawlessly)

Sage and PrimeNetEncoder properties files attached as well as tuner logs for 3 of the 6 tuners. Tuners 0 and 1 work great. But tuners 3-5 will not work if another one of the tuners is in use on that HDHR Prime. Per the earlier messages, I have made sure windows firewall is OFF and added exceptions for Sage, HDHR programs, java and ffmpeg.

No idea what else to troubleshoot here. Really want to transition Sage to the new server as my current Win 7 server is 8 years old and I have a feeling I am asking for trouble with the age of these disks and hardware in general which is used 24x7. Wife will not be happy if Sage goes down--so I need to make sure the Win 10 server is solid before moving over.

Any help or guidance is really appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sage.txt (178.5 KB, 481 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder.txt (2.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner0.txt (24.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner1.txt (25.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner5.txt (20.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

I still cannot tune two channels on one of the HDHR Primes (the other HDHR Prime works perfectly with all 3 tuners operating simultaneously). As soon as I select a 2nd tuner, I receviea no signal error. PrimeNetEncoder logs from Tuner 3 (worked when I selected a channel to view) and Tuner 4 (signal error and log indicates no data received). No changes to any of the properties files I posted last evening.

Again, really appreciate any help. I am really at a loss as to what to try next (other than just add a single tuner to Sage from the 2nd HDHR Prime--which does not seem like an ideal solution).
Attached Files
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner3.txt (21.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner4.txt (17.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I still cannot tune two channels on one of the HDHR Primes (the other HDHR Prime works perfectly with all 3 tuners operating simultaneously). As soon as I select a 2nd tuner, I receviea no signal error. PrimeNetEncoder logs from Tuner 3 (worked when I selected a channel to view) and Tuner 4 (signal error and log indicates no data received). No changes to any of the properties files I posted last evening.

Again, really appreciate any help. I am really at a loss as to what to try next (other than just add a single tuner to Sage from the 2nd HDHR Prime--which does not seem like an ideal solution).
make this false ..... mediaserver.transfer=true

Also try turning off your firewall off completely do this by disabling the windows firewall service ... reboot.... Just shutting the firewall of does not completely disable it you have to disable the service.

Everything looks right in all your properties.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
make this false ..... mediaserver.transfer=true

Also try turning off your firewall off completely do this by disabling the windows firewall service ... reboot.... Just shutting the firewall of does not completely disable it you have to disable the service.

Everything looks right in all your properties.
Thanks....but still no luck. changed the media.transfer value to false and disabled the windows firewall service. Rebooted (tried twice including power cycling the HRHR Primes).

If I only add 4 sources (3 of the tuners on one of the HDHR Primes + a single tuner on the 2nd HDHR Prime), eveyrthing works. As soon as I add a 2nd tuner from the Prime I am having problems with, I still get a no signal error when tuning the 2nd station.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks....but still no luck. changed the media.transfer value to false and disabled the windows firewall service. Rebooted (tried twice including power cycling the HRHR Primes).

If I only add 4 sources (3 of the tuners on one of the HDHR Primes + a single tuner on the 2nd HDHR Prime), eveyrthing works. As soon as I add a 2nd tuner from the Prime I am having problems with, I still get a no signal error when tuning the 2nd station.
I have 2 primes but only one allocated to SageTV the other is allocated to the HDHomerun DVR ... maybe I can find a window to test both in SageTV ... everything you have posted and provided as attachments looks good... maybe another pair of eyes can see something wrong I sure can't.