SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Smile PrimeNetEncoder - HDHomeRun Prime Network Encoder

Hi,

First I would like to thank all of the forum members that beta tested for me. Their feedback was very helpful in ensuring that my first release was as stable as possible. I need to give special thanks to nyplayer. He went above and beyond in his testing efforts and helped me work through many of the issues.

Overview

PrimeNetEncoder is a network encoder for HDHomeRunPrime. It is designed to run on both windows and linux and to have minimal requirements. The encoder uses the hdhomerun_config application and ffmpeg to capture the stream. Since ffmpeg is only capturing the stream and writing to a file PrimeNetEncoder has very low overhead.

PrimeNetEncoder can be configured to handle any number of HDHomeRunPrime tuners. If you are going to use more than one HDHomeRun Prime you will need to modify the tuners.count property, and create new entries for the tunners in the PrimeNetEncoder.properties file, and create new tuner entries in the sage.properties. Forum members have tested and confirmed that PrimeNetEncoder can also work with other HDHomeRun tuners. Please check the forums for notes on compatibility.

PrimeNetEncoder also offers the option to transcode to h.264 in realtime. This does requires a reasonable amount of CPU resources to accomplish. Transcoding is configurable at the tunner level. There are settings available for quality and performance.

Guides
Note: Installation instructions are included in the download.
There is a very good guide to setting up the PrimeNetEncoder on Linux by SageWizdom http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62737
Below this post is a guide on setting up Non Prime DLNA OTA tuners by nyplayer
Known Issues
  1. Please read the install guide for specific issues.

Upgrading

See any specific upgrade notes for the version. To upgrade from a previous version you should replace the PrimeNetEncoder.jar with the new one. You should run the program once so that it can add the new properties to the PrimeNetEncoder.properties file.

Changelog

Version 2.0.0 - Download
  • Added quit command. This will attempt to exit gracefully if the tuners are not currently recording.
  • Added an local address override to the properties file. This is to workaround some issues with certain Linux distros, and possibly machines with multiple IP addresses
  • Change property mediaserver.transfer default value from true to false. Some machines seem to be struggling with transferring to sage using this method.

Version 1.2.5 (RC1) - Download
  1. Increased UDP receive buffer size to 262140
  2. Added properties for ffmpeg.outputbuffersize, ffmpeg.inputbuffersize and mediaserver.outputbuffersize
  3. Set default size for input/output buffers to 32768
  4. Added signal quality output to the STATUS command
  5. Set a short timeout on UDP read to try and reduce latency
  6. Added a PrimeNetEncoder.bat file with recommended settings to pass to java

Version 1.2.4 (Beta) - Download
  1. Fixed mediaserver.transfer = false.
  2. Added the ability for the OutputWatcher to reset the tuner if data is not produced in a timely fashion
  3. Enhanced the exception handling in the TunerOutput thread. This was causing issues with keeping the UDP port open
  4. Set thread priority to TunerOutput to MAX. Set thread priority to Watcher to MIN
  5. Cleaned up some of the code that was double buffering streams. This might have been causing performance issues
  6. Added timeout to the UDP connections
Note: PrimeNetEncoder.properties was removed from the download. Users will need to run the application once to generate a default properties file. Documentation was updated to reflect this.

Version 1.2.2 (Beta) - Download
  1. Added media server transfer
  2. Using STDIN/STDOUT to transfer data between ffmpeg and PrimeNetEncoder
  3. PrimeNetEncoder is handling Stream from HDHomeRun instead of ffmpeg
  4. Added ffmpeg setting analyzeduration and probesize
  5. Added tuner locking (Note: I do a force unlock when ever I start a new recording)
  6. Modified discovery logic to only respond to discovery requests if there is not an active connection with SageTV server
Note: If you are upgrading from a previous version I recommend that you remove the current tuner entries from Sage.properties file and allow SageTV to use network encoder discovery to add the tuners. This ensures that the right properties are added to SageTV. If you are using Windows Firewall please review the install guide for addition ports that need to be opened.

Version 1.0.1 (Beta) - Download
  1. Better error handling when binding port is already in use
  2. Added setting for delay to wait for ffmpeg to fully start
  3. Added scaling property to the transcoding to allow resizing video
  4. Adding setting for changing codec used for transcoding
Version 1.0.0 - Download
  1. Initial Release

Last edited by jvl711; 12-07-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Attached none Prime DLNA Tuners

Imortant*************************

The properties Included in the Doc are wrong they will be corrected once the Coder gets a chance. The correct ports are below. I have attatched the corrected properties file PrimeNetEncoder.zip

Code:
#
#Example Setings file for PrimeNetEncoder
#
tuners.count=3
tuner0.name=HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 0
tuner0.port=7000
tuner0.enabled=True
tuner0.id=FFFFFFFF
tuner0.number=0
tuner0.transcoder.port=5000
tuner0.transcode.enabled=False
tuner0.transcode.deinterlace=True
tuner0.transcode.bitrate=4000
# Example for h.264 safe scaling to 720p: trunc(oh*a/2)*2:720
# A setting of blank will do no scaling
tuner0.transcode.scaling=
tuner0.transcode.preset=ultrafast
# Codec is an experimental setting for testing hardware encoding
# There are development builds of ffmpeg that incude those features
tuner0.transcode.codec=libx264
tuner1.name=HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 1
tuner1.port=7001
tuner1.id=FFFFFFFF
tuner1.number=1
tuner1.enabled=True
tuner1.transcoder.port=5010
tuner1.transcode.enabled=False
tuner1.transcode.deinterlace=True
tuner1.transcode.bitrate=4000
tuner1.transcode.scaling=
tuner1.transcode.preset=ultrafast
tuner1.transcode.codec=libx264
tuner2.enabled=True
tuner2.id=FFFFFFFF
tuner2.number=2
tuner2.name=HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 2
tuner2.port=7002
tuner2.transcoder.port=5020
tuner2.transcode.enabled=False
tuner2.transcode.deinterlace=True
tuner2.transcode.bitrate=4000
tuner2.transcode.scaling=
tuner2.transcode.preset=ultrafast
tuner2.transcode.codec=libx264
HDHomeRunConfig.path=C\:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\hdhomerun_config.exe
ffmpeg.path=ffmpeg.exe
# This setting is in miliseconds.  
# Increasing setting may result in less halts in starting recording
ffmpeg.delay=500
discovery.port=8271

Attached is the doc on setup of Non Prime DLNA OTA tuners..... HDHR4-2US and HDTC-2US
Attached Files
File Type: doc Setup of DLNA OTA Tuners.doc (526.5 KB, 520 views)
File Type: zip PrimeNetEncoder.zip (719 Bytes, 384 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-07-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Looking forward to giving this a try this weekend. I'm hoping this will resolve my random pixelation and sound pops.

Couple of questions. Why would I want to transcode to H264? And why would I want to use this for the non-prime HDHR?

Also, does this replace SageDCT and does it need to be removed from my installation? Which version of Silicondust Firmware does this work with? I've been reluctant to update not knowing if it would break SageDCT.

-uberpixel
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
Couple of questions. Why would I want to transcode to H264? And why would I want to use this for the non-prime HDHR?
The answer to the first answers the second. Space saving, and better playback on devices (many of which no longer support MPEG-2).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Looking forward to giving this a try this weekend. I'm hoping this will resolve my random pixelation and sound pops.

Also, does this replace SageDCT and does it need to be removed from my installation? Which version of Silicondust Firmware does this work with? I've been reluctant to update not knowing if it would break SageDCT.

-uberpixel
I am on the latest firmware as Silicondust has done so many changes that if you are not on the latest beta you should be for EX. Hd Homerun View for Kodi and android.. Fuzzy answered your other questions. I completely removed SAGEDCT and am quite happy I did. As far as none Prime tuners Sage remuxes the mpg and it messes it up that you cannot even extract CC. Also you can esaily update to the latest FFMPG simply by dropping the FFMPEG exe in the folder.

I get no pixelation what so ever since I switched to this encoder.

PS if you are reluctant then stay where you are as some people fear change.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-02-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

-uberpixel
You do not need to remove SageDCT. I would suggest you stop the SageDCT service while you are testing my application though. The machine I developed this on had SageDCT installed on it while I was developing and testing this.

Josh
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, after trying to set this up I can report that it is not idiot proof...

I'm not an IT guy (Mechanical Engineer) so it's possible that I missed some implied steps in the install process (which I thought I followed correctly) but I'm having problems nonetheless.

The odd behaviour starts after I add the new tuner. At first it shows 1 "Digital Tuner" but when I select it, it pauses and then another "Digital Tuner" option shows up (see attached screenshot). If I select either - the wizard moves on to the next step. Then when I get back to the source summary page, it lists 3 identical versions of the same Prime tuner (see attached screenshot).

If I go back and remove the new source and add it again, it shows 4 "Digital Tuner" options to select...

If I try to tune a channel with the new source it says no signal.

I have not removed the legacy SageDCT tuners from my source list but I have disable the service.

I'm running the latest stable firmware from HDHomerun 20141210. I know you said latest Beta but I was hedging my bets in case this didn't work so I could go back to a previously stable SageDCT solution. Java 8. More system info in my signature.

Any ideas where I may have screwed up? I can post my properties files if that would help.

-uberpixel
Attached Images
File Type: png DigitalTV.PNG (149.1 KB, 565 views)
File Type: png multi.PNG (213.5 KB, 540 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, after trying to set this up I can report that it is not idiot proof...

I'm not an IT guy (Mechanical Engineer) so it's possible that I missed some implied steps in the install process (which I thought I followed correctly) but I'm having problems nonetheless.

The odd behaviour starts after I add the new tuner. At first it shows 1 "Digital Tuner" but when I select it, it pauses and then another "Digital Tuner" option shows up (see attached screenshot). If I select either - the wizard moves on to the next step. Then when I get back to the source summary page, it lists 3 identical versions of the same Prime tuner (see attached screenshot).

If I go back and remove the new source and add it again, it shows 4 "Digital Tuner" options to select...

If I try to tune a channel with the new source it says no signal.

I have not removed the legacy SageDCT tuners from my source list but I have disable the service.

I'm running the latest stable firmware from HDHomerun 20141210. I know you said latest Beta but I was hedging my bets in case this didn't work so I could go back to a previously stable SageDCT solution. Java 8. More system info in my signature.

Any ideas where I may have screwed up? I can post my properties files if that would help.

-uberpixel
By any chance are you using Diamond or Gemstone? I am asking this because I saw this when using Diamond but not the default STV. If you stop and restart the SageTVService you will see that it is a mirage. I had the same problem when using the firewire Network tuner.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-03-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Gemstone...

I'll try the install again with the default STV and see what happens.

Not sure why that would cause the "No Signal" result but I'll give it a whirl.

-uberpixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
By any chance are you using Diamond or Gemstone? I am asking this because I saw this when using Diamond but not the default STV. If you stop and restart the SageTVService you will see that it is a mirage. I had the same problem when using the firewire Network tuner.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Gemstone...

I'll try the install again with the default STV and see what happens.

Not sure why that would cause the "No Signal" result but I'll give it a whirl.

-uberpixel
That would not cause the no signal just the duplicate showings of tuners the no signal is usually a firewall issue. Make sure ffmpeg is defined in the firewall I gave full access to the ffmpeg in the PrimeNetEncoderv1.0.0 folder. As I added tuners I did not want to keep opening ports.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-03-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same result with the default SageTV 7 STV.

Still getting multiple instances of the same tuner on the same port.

Showing 3 all on port 7000 for example. Then no signal when I try to tune.

-uberpixel
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Same result with the default SageTV 7 STV.

Still getting multiple instances of the same tuner on the same port.

Showing 3 all on port 7000 for example. Then no signal when I try to tune.

-uberpixel
You cannot do a preview it will not work. Is there a way for you to test without the firewall? turn off firewall go to the guide and view a channel. For now ignore the duplicate tuners you are seeing just set 1 up. for tuner 0 tuner 1 tuner 2. It will not affect anything as far as recording etc... If you simply disable Gemstone you will still see the duplicate tuners ... I have no answer for this but it is only a visual problem not a working problem.

Ps I am also using HDHomerun Prime + (Comcast)

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-03-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

No joy with the firewall off.

I'm starting to wonder if my issue lies in the channel setup and guide. While trying to preserve my existing installation I may be adding a layer of complexity to this install that is tripping me up. I think I may use a spare server license and setup a clean development install.

I have a feeling I'll be doing plenty of fiddling with sage in the future so having another server to play with may be just the ticket!

Looks like we're neighbors... We could get together over a pint of Hefeweizen and reminisce about classic moments in the SageTV saga. Or not...

-uberpixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
You cannot do a preview it will not work. Is there a way for you to test without the firewall? turn off firewall go to the guide and view a channel. For now ignore the duplicate tuners you are seeing just set 1 up. for tuner 0 tuner 1 tuner 2. It will not affect anything as far as recording etc... If you simply disable Gemstone you will still see the duplicate tuners ... I have no answer for this but it is only a visual problem not a working problem.

Ps I am also using HDHomerun Prime + (Comcast)
Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
No joy with the firewall off.

I'm starting to wonder if my issue lies in the channel setup and guide. While trying to preserve my existing installation I may be adding a layer of complexity to this install that is tripping me up. I think I may use a spare server license and setup a clean development install.

I have a feeling I'll be doing plenty of fiddling with sage in the future so having another server to play with may be just the ticket!

Looks like we're neighbors... We could get together over a pint of Hefeweizen and reminisce about classic moments in the SageTV saga. Or not...

-uberpixel
If you have time could you please post PrimeNetEncoder logs and properties, and sagetv properties. That way I can see if there are any potential setup issues.

Yes you are correct that the process to setup is not the easiest. I wish I could get the auto discovery to work properly with Sage. It would make this process a lot easier.

Josh
Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Logs attached...

Thanks for taking a look!

-uberpixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
If you have time could you please post PrimeNetEncoder logs and properties, and sagetv properties. That way I can see if there are any potential setup issues.

Yes you are correct that the process to setup is not the easiest. I wish I could get the auto discovery to work properly with Sage. It would make this process a lot easier.

Josh
Attached Files
File Type: zip PrimeNet_docs.zip (43.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Logs attached...

Thanks for taking a look!

-uberpixel
Edited... Scratch what I said. Still looking at logs.

It looks like everything is setup correctly. Can you confirm that when you switch the channel that a file is being created in the recording directory. Can you also confirm that the file is growing in size, and is not staying at 0 bytes.

If the file is not generating correctly can you confirm that you have the right version of ffmpeg in the SageTV directory.

Last edited by jvl711; 04-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

The recording shows up in the directory but does not grow beyond 0 bytes. Also a file with this name is created: "HDHomeRunPrimeTuner0on1921681137000DigitalTVTuner-0.mpgbuf"

For ffmpeg I've moved only the ffmpeg.exe into the SageTV directory - I left all of the other files behind since the folder structure didn't seem to jive with your instructions to place ffmpeg.exe in the SageTV directory. I downloaded the latest ffmpeg package from here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and I'm using the static 64-bit version.

I mentioned earlier that I am not using the latest beta from SiliconDust. Could that be an issue?

Quote:
Edited... Scratch what I said. Still looking at logs.

It looks like everything is setup correctly. Can you confirm that when you switch the channel that a file is being created in the recording directory. Can you also confirm that the file is growing in size, and is not staying at 0 bytes.

If the file is not generating correctly can you confirm that you have the right version of ffmpeg in the SageTV directory.

Last edited by uberpixel; 04-03-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The recording shows up in the directory but does not grow beyond 0 bytes. Also a file with this name is created: "HDHomeRunPrimeTuner0on1921681137000DigitalTVTuner-0.mpgbuf"

For ffmpeg I've moved only the ffmpeg.exe into the SageTV directory - I left all of the other files behind since the folder structure didn't seem to jive with your instructions to place ffmpeg.exe in the SageTV directory. I downloaded the latest ffmpeg package from here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and I'm using the static 64-bit version.

I mentioned earlier that I am not using the latest beta from SiliconDust. Could that be an issue?
The .mpgbuf file are beging created when you are trying to preview the channels when adding the tuners to Sage. Previewing or calibrating the tuners from inside of Sage is not supported.

I do not think the firmware should matter. I have two things you can look at.

Can you confirm that hdhomerun_config is located where the settings are pointing to: C\:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\hdhomerun_config.exe

Why did you download ffmpeg from the location that you did? Why not the current release from ffmpeg.org?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The .mpgbuf file are beging created when you are trying to preview the channels when adding the tuners to Sage. Previewing or calibrating the tuners from inside of Sage is not supported.

I do not think the firmware should matter. I have two things you can look at.

Can you confirm that hdhomerun_config is located where the settings are pointing to: C\:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\hdhomerun_config.exe

Why did you download ffmpeg from the location that you did? Why not the current release from ffmpeg.org?
hdhomerun_config is in the correct location.

I followed the link to the Windows static build from the ffmpeg.org site and it sent me to the link previously shown. I just now tried downloading the .tar from ffmpeg.org and there isn't an ffmpeg.exe in that package.

-uberpixel
Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
hdhomerun_config is in the correct location.

I followed the link to the Windows static build from the ffmpeg.org site and it sent me to the link previously shown. I just now tried downloading the .tar from ffmpeg.org and there isn't an ffmpeg.exe in that package.

-uberpixel
Think I found your issue.

You did not change tuner ids in the PrimeNetEncoders.properties.

You need to change the below setting for each tuner. Your ID is 1313BED0
Code:
tuner0.id=131C3300