SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Is there any reason why it wouldn't work with the initial open source release? Apart from stripping out items that require licensing (decoders, default EPG), I thought the open source version was going to be mostly 7.1.9 as it is now.
An error in the building of the core's 7.1.9 jar resulted in some of the EPG interfaces being obfuscated in the final released jar of SageTV 7.1.9. Because those interfaces were obfuscated, I had to make reference to the obfuscated classes in my plugin to make it work. In the OS/v8 version of the jar those interfaces are no longer obfuscated, which means my plugin makes references to interfaces & classes that no longer exist. If one were to attempt to use the plugin with the OS version of the jar, you would encounter various runtime exceptions referring to class not found errors, etc.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Sage Icon

Just throwing a wild idea out here:

Purchasable new SageTV EPG keys?

Andy could run it out of his basement.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

This is better than I thought. Kudos to Jeff for continuing to support SageTV customers. I was fully expecting that we'd be on our own for EPG data in the open source version.

I agree with the general discussion in this thread. Getting support for Schedules Direct data in the open source version should be a high priority. In fact, I think that might be preferable to korben_dallas' suggestion to allow new users to purchase an EPG key (which is probably asking/expecting too much for Google, or anyone else, to take on).
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
In the OS/v8 version of the jar those interfaces are no longer obfuscated, which means my plugin makes references to interfaces & classes that no longer exist.
Have you been playing around with the OS/v8 version or has Jeff just given you a heads-up?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Have you been playing around with the OS/v8 version or has Jeff just given you a heads-up?
I think I've said too much. Let's just say I know this to be fact.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

If the Schedules Direct plugin doesn't work in the released Open Source version, that means essentially there would be no source of EPG data for potential new users? This doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Right, which is why I was making note of that as something that is truly a "must address on day 1" kind of issue for the OS version. And you don't just slap such support into the core over a weekend. So new users without EPG access are basically going to have to wait around for weeks (probably months) while the true "day 1" issues are prioritized and dealt with. And I suspect there will be other things that come up early on too. And all these things need immediate attention long before any meaningful discussion of what streamer devices to support, iOS or Android (or both) and so on even begin. Those types of discussions are likely to be way, way, waaaaay down the road after the source code is released.

Although not available in the plugin repository, there are other EPG plugins that would likely work immediately with the OS version of the app. The xmltv plugin I think would likely work and I believe there's a grabber for xmltv that works with Schedules Direct? Not sure, never used it. So there might be some options for new users to get epg data in right away, but my SD plugin will not be one of them.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Sage User

How will this work for mixed key environments? Example:

Licensed SageTV running on main TV, with multiple open source SageTV Clients connected.
Will the EPG data work on all clients provided the server is licensed?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I am pretty sure that it would work in that environment as I believe it is only the server that actually downloads EPG data. Especially if the clients are extender-type clients rather than running the full client version of SageTV.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheHippie View Post
How will this work for mixed key environments? Example:

Licensed SageTV running on main TV, with multiple open source SageTV Clients connected.
Will the EPG data work on all clients provided the server is licensed?
The only thing that interfaces with the EPG server is the server, so that's all that matters.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am hoping to be able to move to a linux server once hauppauge comes out with driver for HD-PVR tuners. According to SHS this is in the works!! (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62216)

My question is, will the old windows based licenses work for EPG on a linux machine once things go open source?

Last edited by PosterBoy; 06-30-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
My question is, will the old windows based licenses work for EPG on a linux machine once things go open source?
Probably. the licenses will no longer be required for running the software, but will have to be entered in in some way, and they are sent to the EPG server for authorization. (they are actually already sent to the server, just the server has never done anything with them).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
I am hoping to be able to move to a linux server once hauppauge comes out with driver for HD-PVR tuners. According to SHS this is in the works!! (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62216)

HD-PVR support has been built into the Linux kernel for a few years now. You can even perform captures on a Raspberry Pi-based distribution ...
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am looking for drivers for an HD-PVR2, which are in the works