SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Anything yet? I am looking for alternatives to WMC so I can let my PCs upgrade to Win 10.
Is your anything yet question in reference to sagetv or silcondust DVR? The silicondust DVR supporters are getting progress builds. it has a long way to go, but it is coming along.

SageTV? hopefully we will hear something soon - still the best IMHO.

I moved to WMC as my sage extenders died, and there are some perks to WMC that I am enjoying - the myceton app (even on windows phone ) , Ease of getting channel lineups in, and no worries about copy once.

But then there is SageTVs pluses - once configured bulletproof, way more powerfull recording choices, and the DB of what you have watched.

Myself, I've got fingers in all of it.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
But then there is SageTVs pluses - once configured bulletproof, way more powerfull recording choices, and the DB of what you have watched.
That just min reason I perf SageTV over
Far more powerfull recording choices
Watch, Don't Like DB
Dosen't re-record the same show/episodes over and over like all other 3rdparty Apps or Standalone DVR when set as Frist Runs/ReRuns unless id that EPG which don't do Show ID rigth you know that non unique ID
The best part Delete it becuases it is the wrong recording, God help with the Dish Hopper it real pain in neck ot get rid of when have a bad recording

Last edited by SHS; 07-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

When?... is exactly what I've been wondering.

I just cut the cord here (yesterday) and will soon be disconnecting my HD-PVRs completely. Still have (2) HDHR tuners which provided the OTA broadcast channels. Since I won't be using the HD-PVRs (USB) I am putting more consideration into running STV as a VM on a W7 machine - preferably only want to do it once...
Old 07-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Sage User

Would be nice to get some info on the progress to Open Source.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Narflex:
maybe this would be a quick and easy early release for open source:
Please release the changes and/or source for the ffmpeg version you use for sagetranscoder. I would like to merge that into the new ffmpeg that has support for QuickSync and nvenc. That would yield a streaming solution that would be very low processor usage and would also be usable on a bay trail windows (and maybe linux) based NAS solution.
here is some info on the new ffmepg:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby...GPU-Tanscoding
source here:
https://github.com/mjb2000/FFmpeg
and here:
https://github.com/Brainiarc7/ffmpeg_libnvenc
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundansx View Post
Narflex:
Please release the changes and/or source for the ffmpeg version you use for sagetranscoder. I would like to merge that into the new ffmpeg that has support for QuickSync and nvenc. That would yield a streaming solution that would be very low processor usage and would also be usable on a bay trail windows (and maybe linux) based NAS solution.
source here:
and here:
That source is around somewhere - it had to be to meet ffmpeg's open source license - not likely very easy to 'merge' it in to the newer verisons however, as it was a VERY old version of ffmpeg that it was done to, and much of ffmpeg has changed since then. Many of the tweaks he did may actually be IN ffmpeg, in different forms, now.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
Is your anything yet question in reference to sagetv or silcondust DVR? The silicondust DVR supporters are getting progress builds. it has a long way to go, but it is coming along.

SageTV? hopefully we will hear something soon - still the best IMHO.

I moved to WMC as my sage extenders died, and there are some perks to WMC that I am enjoying - the myceton app (even on windows phone ) , Ease of getting channel lineups in, and no worries about copy once.

Myself, I've got fingers in all of it.
Sorry if my question was too vague. I was wondering if there was any news on when the SageTV open source would be released. I have never used SageTV, so I will face a bit of a learning curve.

Overall, I have not been happy with how WMC works. I have far too many failed recordings, needs for reboot, etc. Looking for alternatives.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage User

Microsoft borked their EPG pretty hard by switching from Zap2It to Rovi a couple weeks ago, and a lot of WMC users' TV guides are showing empty listings starting today.

I suspect a lot more people will be chomping at the bit very soon to see SageTV Open Source take off.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage User

It was announced that the software would become open source on 3.9. and Narflex said in the near future, in months. We are now in the near future and no news.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damstas View Post
It was announced that the software would become open source on 3.9. and Narflex said in the near future, in months. We are now in the near future and no news.
There has been news. He's described the work that has been done, and what needs to be done. The SageTV EPG server was just modified a couple weeks ago to allow it to work with the open source version for registered (purchased) users. He has to remove all the proprietary licensed code. He has to roll in some of the changes he's done for his home version, and he has to remove a bunch of google fiber specific stuff. Then he has to set up a repository for it on github, and actually make it work in an open source style build environment. This is likely all in his off-time, or at best, in is 'friday-project' time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage

Yeah, did that over 4 years ago.

http://www.sagetv.com/pubcode/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundansx View Post
Narflex:
source here:
and here:
Old 07-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

nice. I did not know that.
thanks.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
How so how are you recording HBO, Showtime, etc channel DRM channel I not talk about LiveTV that done diff, if they haven't sent out HDHomeRun DVR Software at that look like.
With me, I do it via web interfaces and it is totally manual.

For instance, I bring up HBOGo in a browser, start the material I am interested in, and then record it using a screen scraper called Replay Video Capture.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 08-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Sage

When you ask????

NOW!!!!!

https://github.com/google/sagetv
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Woohoo!!!

Now for those of us that aren't used to building an application from Source can I be the first to ask a dumb question -

How do I download the Windows version, or is that not available yet?

edit - I mean a prebuilt version with an installer, just like installing SageTV V7 on Windows.

Last edited by wayner; 08-10-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
When you ask????

NOW!!!!!

How hard would it be to build a version of Client that did not ask for a license?

i.e. Can we look forward to this in the near future... or are there issues?

I've got enough HD200's to last a lifetime... but am curious as to how well Client will work on a TW700.... but not curious enough to pony up the $ for a license.

Also, I would think about counseling fellow OTA addicts to try the whole SageTV setup: Server, Client, PlaceShifter.... because it seems like Sage is still the pre-eminent home theater app.... at least until Silicon Dust gets up to speed...
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 08-10-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Woohoo!!!

Now for those of us that aren't used to building an application from Source can I be the first to ask a dumb question -

How do I download the Windows version, or is that not available yet?

edit - I mean a prebuilt version with an installer, just like installing SageTV V7 on Windows.
There's no prebuilt windows binaries available currently. Someone will have to take on that task as well as building a new installer for Windows.

There are scripts in there for building the entire thing on Linux though. And I've run those on my 64 bit setup...so for people interested in a 64 bit Linux version; it should be easy to create. It even creates the tarballs and debian installers like we used to release.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
How hard would it be to build a version of Client that did not ask for a license?

i.e. Can we look forward to this in the near future... or are there issues?

I've got enough HD200's to last a lifetime... but am curious as to how well Client will work on a TW700.... but not curious enough to pony up the $ for a license.
Doesn't the client have a 21 day free trial?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
When you ask????

NOW!!!!!

Hooray! Now, what I'd give to have that lovely recording engine that I can't seem to find in any other piece of software working as a backend to Kodi cannot be described in words.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
When you ask????

NOW!!!!!

SO EXCITED!

Hotliner