SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Very exciting!
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 08-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV + OpenELEC anyone?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, I think it would/will be way more effort to get Kodi's DVR UI up to SageTV standards than it will/would be to get SageTV running as a backend. As it stands today, even if Sage were a viable backend, I still don't think I'd use Kodi for my frontend, last time I tried with ServerWMC it was pretty terrible.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Is anyone willing to compile (create Binaries) a few versions (windows,Linux,Mac) of the code that is released? I have no clue.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Is anyone willing to compile (create Binaries) a few versions (windows,Linux,Mac) of the code that is released? I have no clue.
Linux is trivial to do. (just run the scripts) Windows isn't that hard if you have the devtools (it should all pretty much compile, the only stuff I didn't verify was ffmpeg/mplayer, but all the DLLs and AXs should compile fine....and you can just take ffmpeg/mplayer as binaries from the V7 release). Mac isn't possible...I did not include everything from the Mac software (I also did not make attempts to remove the Mac components; so you will see some littered about the source). Since we stopped Mac development in V6 I didn't see much reason to carry all that stuff into it.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage User

Jeff,

Thank you very, very much for making this possible -- first of all, for designing and building such an outstanding product in the first place, and secondly for keeping faith with all of us who prize SageTV and doing what needed to be done to make SageTV open source.

Now I'm headed over to GitHub to register and get started helping the O/S version of SageTV get off the ground. I have considerable experience with designing and developing Windows installers; I may be able to help out there.

Thanks again, Jeff. You the man.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Honestly, I think it would/will be way more effort to get Kodi's DVR UI up to SageTV standards than it will/would be to get SageTV running as a backend. As it stands today, even if Sage were a viable backend, I still don't think I'd use Kodi for my frontend, last time I tried with ServerWMC it was pretty terrible.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7079

Those are the planned api changes soon to be making an appearance in kodi. I'm using kodi as a frontend right now, currently with NextPVR. Was using WMC, but the recent guide changeover completely hosed my listings. NextPVR is ok...but the recording logic isn't exactly intelligent. I've posted over on their forums stating as much (and compared it to the all time best: Sage). Last time I attempted using kodi (was xbmc at that time) for a pvr frontend, it was a trainwreck. Now, notsomuch.

The timers in that api can be driven by a backend as well, so I'm fairly confident that the gap is closing. The wife has used both frontends extensively over the years, and kodi offers things (that I shall not speak of) that just push her acceptance through the roof. She loved Sage for sure, but what I have kodi doing now is beyond impressive, and she won't be giving that up.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiddle View Post
...but what I have kodi doing now is beyond impressive, and she won't be giving that up.
You can't leave us hanging like that - do tell.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage User

Check your PM Wayner
Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
SageTV + OpenELEC anyone?
+1
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Check your PM Wayner
Me too !!
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I was more thinking in terms of being able to run SageTV client launched from Kodi. Need to get more people interested in SageTV and piggybacking on OpenELEC is just an option. I agree, much better to run SageTV than use Kodi as front end.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
When you ask????

NOW!!!!!

https://github.com/google/sagetv
What a great birthday present. Thanks Jeff.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7079

Those are the planned api changes soon to be making an appearance in kodi. I'm using kodi as a frontend right now, currently with NextPVR. Was using WMC, but the recent guide changeover completely hosed my listings. NextPVR is ok...but the recording logic isn't exactly intelligent. I've posted over on their forums stating as much (and compared it to the all time best: Sage). Last time I attempted using kodi (was xbmc at that time) for a pvr frontend, it was a trainwreck. Now, notsomuch.

The timers in that api can be driven by a backend as well, so I'm fairly confident that the gap is closing. The wife has used both frontends extensively over the years, and kodi offers things (that I shall not speak of) that just push her acceptance through the roof. She loved Sage for sure, but what I have kodi doing now is beyond impressive, and she won't be giving that up.
I wasn't even talking about the recording options, just the basics, like browsing recordings, showing their info, etc, it was, as you say, a trainwreck.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 AM
Sage User

Yeah, I use MCEBuddy to cut commercials, rename, and move to a folder that can be scraped by Kodi. With a custom main menu, I point my "recordings" folder to that video node. It makes the experience somewhat better.

My Live TV on my homescreen goes to the guide, and the submenu can go to: channels, recordings, and timers. It works out well enough to keep the wife happy.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I wasn't even talking about the recording options, just the basics, like browsing recordings, showing their info, etc, it was, as you say, a trainwreck.
Getting show info etc.. is not the fault of KODI ... it has a specific naming convention to follow that is documented ... unfortunately SageTV has one of the worst file naming conventions and series organizations.

Screen Shots of my sagetv recordings in kodi. Not using BMT. ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kodi1.jpg (217.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg kodi2.jpg (144.0 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg kpdi3.jpg (132.5 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-11-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Getting show info etc.. is not the fault of KODI ... it has a specific naming convention to follow that is documented ... unfortunately SageTV has one of the worst file naming conventions.
Pretty much what mine look like as well, although I'm using Mimic instead of what appears to be Amber.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Pretty much what mine look like as well, although I'm using Mimic instead of what appears to be Amber.
Yep you are correct I am using Amber. I worked with the MCEBuddy guy on renaming SageTV and keeping the fileid at the end of the file so that they can also be kept in SageTV DB for SageTV Viewing. Notice how the year was added to the Series name where required. I would like to see SageTV be able to see subfolders in the recording folders and properly name the files.

Beauty and the Beast (2012).S03E05.The Most Dangerous Beast -19431478-0.ts

A Few Good Men (1992) -15550313-0.mp4

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-11-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Sage User

Have really been looking forward to being able to use SageTV. My HTPC use is basically as a PVR. Record a show, watch the show, delete the show. I'm not interested in a library of recorded and/or downloaded/pirated torrents.

WMC did a pretty good job, but their recent EPG changeover completely hosed that platform as an option for me. So, I gave up, upgraded to Windows 10, and have been exploring PVR alternatives.

Currently "getting by" with Mediaportal TV Server + ArgusTV Scheduler + MediaPortal frontend. I'd tried MePo+Argus with the Kodi frontend, but Kodi just can't cut it as a PVR quite yet. Everything is a "timer" and there are no series recording options. Feels like trying to record on my VHS in 1989.

Anyhow, I'm spreading the word about Sage. Looking forward to getting it up and running as my main HTPC application. For now, I'm just looking forward to a Windows installation executable for us Github-illiterates.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Getting show info etc.. is not the fault of KODI ... it has a specific naming convention to follow that is documented ... unfortunately SageTV has one of the worst file naming conventions and series organizations.

Screen Shots of my sagetv recordings in kodi. Not using BMT. ...
But that's not the Kodi DVR interface, that's the normal TV interface correct? I actually like the Kodi TV (library) interface, but the DVR/Recordings interface was pretty lacking. I want to say there were limited to no grouping/sorting options. Honestly I don't remember exactly my issues, I just know I was dissatisfied enough that I basically stopped using it immediately.