SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think the major differences between the community and commercial editions is in the license to sell the work.
The license doesn't seem to preclude for-sale work. It specifically states that it may be used by an individual to develop and test for sale. Organizations and enterprises can only use the community edition for OSI or for educational purposes.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
The license doesn't seem to preclude for-sale work. It specifically states that it may be used by an individual to develop and test for sale. Organizations and enterprises can only use the community edition for OSI or for educational purposes.
i didn't mean full exclusion, I meant the magnitude of the sales.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
In reality, I'm thinking since all the launcher really does is that, launch the jvm, that it might not be that difficult to essentially write a replacement in .net, or any other more modern language. Would likely be far more maintainable.
But will that work for the other native code, like the DirectShow filters/filtergraphs, etc?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure there's a .net version of JNI. There are DirectShow API's for .net (as well as the newer Media Foundation API). Media Foundation, by the way, offers protected path playback...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-14-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijay View Post
Would it be better if I upgraded the projects and solutions to a new version of Visual studio? I have all versions at my disposal at work :-) 2003-2013

@Narflex
There are some projects that are missing in the SageWorspace solution, EVRPresenter, MPEG2Dump, MpegAudioEncLayer2, MpegMux, and MusicVisFilter, I am assuming this was intentional, and can be removed from the solution, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Jayson
Those projects are all still there...they exist in the third_party/Microsoft directory since they were based heavily off Microsoft DShow example code. I did verify that the whole workspace had them included and would build everything before this was released....so I'm not sure why you're having issues...but now that you know they are there...you should be able to figure out what's wrong.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

My gradle builds are failing because I think it's looking for amd64 libraries instead of i386. I also see that it could not find tools.jar.

Noob question: Why can't Sage.jar be build in Eclipse? Why is gradle needed?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

It's common practice to create a build script for a project in a tool like Gradle, Ant, or Maven. It's easier to get a project up and running quickly on a dev box, or to plug it into a continuous integration build system if there is a script as opposed to an IDE project.

IDE's obviously have their advantages (graphical debugger, code completion, object browser, etc, etc), and it's fairly easy to generate IDE projects (Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc) from the scripts.

If you're getting an error about missing tools.jar, chances are you're trying to compile with a JRE. Try downloading and installing a JDK.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
It's common practice to create a build script for a project in a tool like Gradle, Ant, or Maven. It's easier to get a project up and running quickly on a dev box, or to plug it into a continuous integration build system if there is a script as opposed to an IDE project.

IDE's obviously have their advantages (graphical debugger, code completion, object browser, etc, etc), and it's fairly easy to generate IDE projects (Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc) from the scripts.

If you're getting an error about missing tools.jar, chances are you're trying to compile with a JRE. Try downloading and installing a JDK.
Thanks for the info about gradle John.

I have a JDK installed. I actually have two; java 1.6 and 1.7. Something is certainly messed up because when I run "gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse" it gives me a warning about not finding the default mime table and it's looking in the java-7-openjdk-amd64 directory. When I open eclipse there are no projects in there.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Noob question: Why can't Sage.jar be build in Eclipse? Why is gradle needed?
Once eclipse is configured, and you have the gradle plugin installed in eclipse, you can build the jar from inside eclipse (just open the gradle targets, and run sageJar).

But, as Jason said, the reason to use something like gradle is that you really can't check eclipse .project and .classpath files into source control, because they'll change frequently per developer, per environment. So, gradle creates those for you, setting up the classpaths, source dirs, etc.

Quote:

I have a JDK installed. I actually have two; java 1.6 and 1.7. Something is certainly messed up because when I run "gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse" it gives me a warning about not finding the default mime table and it's looking in the java-7-openjdk-amd64 directory. When I open eclipse there are no projects in there.
So when you run ./gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse, and you look in the current directory, do you see a .classpath and a .project file?

Also, try setting JAVA_HOME environment variable to be where the JAVA_HOME is located... so you might try something like this...

Code:
# export JAVA_HOME=PATH TO JAVA
# export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
# java -version
# ./gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse
I does sound like you are not having a JDK in your path. (I'm assuming you are trying this on Linux, since you mentioned ./gradlew and not gradle.bat)

Last edited by stuckless; 08-15-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
So when you run ./gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse, and you look in the current directory, do you see a .classpath and a .project file?

Also, try setting JAVA_HOME environment variable to be where the JAVA_HOME is located... so you might try something like this...

Code:
# export JAVA_HOME=PATH TO JAVA
# export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
# java -version
# ./gradlew cleanEclipse eclipse
I does sound like you are not having a JDK in your path. (I'm assuming you are trying this on Linux, since you mentioned ./gradlew and not gradle.bat)
Got a little farther by setting JAVA_HOME and PATH as you suggested. Also found and deleted a symlink in the jvm directory called "default-java" that was pointing to the amd64 java. The java -version command outputs "OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.6) ..." then on the next line "OpenJDK Server VM (build ...".

The gladlew cleanEclipse command now runs successfully with a warning about not finding the default mime table but when I start eclipse it is still empty. I do see a .classpath file and a .project file. I am running the gradlew command from the directory where I found it after updating the github repo. Is this correct or should I be running the gradlew command from the Eclipse workspace directory?

When I looked at the warning a little more I see it's looking for the mime table in /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/lib/content-type.properties.

That properties file is a symlink to /etc/java-7-openjdk/content-type.properties. When I look in the /etc/java-7-openjdk directory there is no content-type.properties file in there. All I see are three directories "images", "management", and "security". That can't be good

I'm thinking I should remove all traces of every version of java on the machine and start over making sure I only have one version installed.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

You're welcome. And it's Jason
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The gladlew cleanEclipse command now runs successfully with a warning about not finding the default mime table but when I start eclipse it is still empty. I do see a .classpath file and a .project file. I am running the gradlew command from the directory where I found it after updating the github repo. Is this correct or should I be running the gradlew command from the Eclipse workspace directory?
Now that the files are created, then in eclipse, whatever workspace you are in, then you can File -> Import Existing Project -> and navigate to the Git sources, and it will see a sagetv project there.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You're welcome. And it's Jason
Oops, sorry Jason.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Now that the files are created, then in eclipse, whatever workspace you are in, then you can File -> Import Existing Project -> and navigate to the Git sources, and it will see a sagetv project there.
Yup, I'm feeling like a complete idiot. I looked at every option under File and see no "Import" under there anywhere. I installed eclipse using apt-get and it installed version 3.8.1.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yup, I'm feeling like a complete idiot. I looked at every option under File and see no "Import" under there anywhere. I installed eclipse using apt-get and it installed version 3.8.1.
I'm not in front of my development computer, but maybe it's File -> New Project -> Import existing project (or something like that)
Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Actually I just checked and it is File -> Import -> Existin project...

But, I'd actually use an eclipse download from the eclipse site. I;m using Eclipse MARS, which is the latest.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not in front of my development computer, but maybe it's File -> New Project -> Import existing project (or something like that)
Found it. I rarely use graphical interface programs in Linux and didn't realize you had to mouse-over the top bar before the items (like File) become visible. That's not very user friendly Anyway, I have that sorted out. Now back to seeing why the buildall.sh script fails.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Found it. I rarely use graphical interface programs in Linux and didn't realize you had to mouse-over the top bar before the items (like File) become visible. That's not very user friendly Anyway, I have that sorted out. Now back to seeing why the buildall.sh script fails.
Ah yes, Ubuntu, changes the UI a few releases back (I hate it as well)... I think they are trying to make it more Mac like
Old 08-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

When I run ./gradlew clean, it deletes the build directory. That's probably fine for some types of projects, but on this project all the build scripts are in that folder.
, Java 1.6.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I run ./gradlew clean, it deletes the build directory. That's probably fine for some types of projects, but on this project all the build scripts are in that folder.
yeah, that fix is in a pull request... the default output in gradle is 'build' which is what sagetv used as well, for a staging area. Gradle will now use 'buildoutput' to avoid this issue.