SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Any suggestions for getting the DirectShow baseclasses in Visual Studio 2015?

Edit: nevermind; it helps to post a question because then something will turn up.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
This may be a dumb question but why do you need two different versions of the SDK? Is the base using 6.1 but some of the sample code from 7.1?

While I starting looking toward building with VS 2015 Community Edition it seems that as of version 2013, the DirectX SDK is now part of the Windows SDK. I'm not familiar enough with the differences in SDK versions but I'm assuming some code changes will be needed to migrate Sage to the latest one?

It would be nice to minimize the number of installs, support packages, and dependencies.
I think it has to do with each ver Windosw OS
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I think it has to do with each ver Windosw OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_SDK

Yeah, it looks like SDK versions change because of a mix of different Windows OS versions and different VS versions. The latest SDK10 doesn't support building for WinXP anymore either.

Maybe if we don't need the newest features of the later SDK's it might be easiest to continue using 6.1 and/or 7.1 along with DX SDK or does that mean we can't build low-level code to interface with the latest hardware drivers?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok a little more difficult than I thought getting this to work on 2015. I have everything setup, but for some reason I get a bogus error when I try to switch it to build with windows 7.1 SDK. "Required file "" is missing"... very helpful. I installed all features of the SDK's but something is still missing and google is not helping either. I know I can build this on my work computer which has all of of the visual studio's installed using 2013, but not with just 2015 community at home. I was thinking of installing 2013 Community edition and see if the issue persists.

so far to build this you need to have all of the SDK's installed and then set env variables for the following

SAGEDEVJDK - Should be pointing to the 32 bit JDK
SAGEDEV - output directory for some projects
WINDOWS61SDK - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1

I will try to install 2013 tonight and see if that is any better

Thanks,
Jayson
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Sage

Yeah...that's about one of the least helpful error messages I've ever seen.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

VS2015 has at least one issue that looks like it requires edits to some of the header files (including 3rd party code).

The functions 'snprintf' and 'vsnprintf' are now natively supported in VS2015. This means all of the #defines for those are flagged as errors. I found a suggestion online to wrap it with VS version defines like this:

Code:
#if (defined(_MSC_VER) && (_MSC_VER < 1900))
  #define snprintf _snprintf
  #define vsnprintf  vsnprintf
#endif
Old 09-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

I was able to compile most of the code in VS2015 Community Edition with the XP support option added. The exceptions are the DirectShow dll's and the DX93D dll because D3DX is now deprecated. Also I think the miniclient project (placeshifter) failed but I didn't look into that yet. We can probably install old SDK's for the DX stuff but instead I'm looking into what it takes to migrate the code to work with VS2015 natively. That would be much easier to support since some of the old kits require a song a dance to install if you have newer stuff already installed.

I started with the original VS2005 projects and just changed the toolset to v140_xp (assuming we still want this to run on XP?) There were a few minor code edits required and I had to add vcruntime(d).lib and ucrt(d).lib to support the 'C' stuff in a few of the projects too. I also had to build hcwIRBlast.lib from the provided dll since it isn't on github.

I've yet to try running any of the code but my thought is to install 7.1.9 and then copy some of these files over top to see if things still run. The VS2015 runtime distributables will be needed at a minimum.

Was the license requirement originally part of the launcher code (i.e. SageTV.exe)? Would a compiled SageTV.exe be enough to run with the V9 jar without any license hassles?

There are also a few of the ax/dll projects referenced in the solution that are not on github. Are those obsolete, proprietary or an oversight? MpegMux is one, for example.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Was the license requirement originally part of the launcher code (i.e. SageTV.exe)? Would a compiled SageTV.exe be enough to run with the V9 jar without any license hassles?
Yes, all you need is the updated SageTV.exe file. All the licensing code was contained in there...although it actually did link across into the JAR file through the database encryption and various other tricks....all of which were removed for the open source version.

Quote:
There are also a few of the ax/dll projects referenced in the solution that are not on github. Are those obsolete, proprietary or an oversight? MpegMux is one, for example.
Everything referenced in the solution should be in GitHub. If you find something missing, then it's an oversight so let me know. Most of what you think is missing is located in third_party/Microsoft. Ohhh...now I see what happened. For some reason I guess I forgot to update the .sln file to the proper one! (and now with my workstation dying...I don't have access to the corrected one anymore) But it should be easy to fix all of those paths since they're only wrong in the .sln file I'm pretty sure. All the folder names were unchanged...so if you find something in the .sln file that's missing; just search for that folder name in third_party and you should find it.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
(and now with my workstation dying...I don't have access to the corrected one anymore)
what happing?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
what happing?
Refer to post #31 here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=62371&page=2
Old 09-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I see sound like a motherboard die or his video card it self die.
A Normally RAID Array can be recovery as there min way to do this now unlike in the past which was real pain to do.
But if this hardware RAID card you should you be able drop in another windows system and install the driver for card that if you have a dedicated RAID controller that plugs into a PCI/PCIe, then you should be fine. All of the RAID data will be stored on the controller, with matching meta-data on the drives. Then you can just move the whole thing into another system. Some controllers will even let you shuffle the drives around so that they don't need to go back in the same order that they came out in but I would put that same order any way.

The best data recovery software I used is by Runtime or some case just Handy Recovery depend what need a long with MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro

Last edited by SHS; 09-09-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
... (assuming we still want this to run on XP?) ...
Yes, please Some of my clients are still XP and going strong. Not worth it to pay for a Windows 7, 8 or 10 licence just to run SageTV.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Everything referenced in the solution should be in GitHub. If you find something missing, then it's an oversight so let me know. Most of what you think is missing is located in third_party/Microsoft. Ohhh...now I see what happened. For some reason I guess I forgot to update the .sln file to the proper one! (and now with my workstation dying...I don't have access to the corrected one anymore) But it should be easy to fix all of those paths since they're only wrong in the .sln file I'm pretty sure. All the folder names were unchanged...so if you find something in the .sln file that's missing; just search for that folder name in third_party and you should find it.

I had to remove and re-add the following projects:

Code:
MPEG2Dump           ..\third_party\Microsoft\Dump\MPEG2Dump.vcproj
EVRPresenter        ..\third_party\Microsoft\EVRPresenter\EVRPresenter.vcproj
MpegMux             ..\third_party\Microsoft\MpegMux\MpegMux.vcproj
MusicVisFilter      ..\third_party\Microsoft\AudioSampling\MusicVisFilter.vcproj
MpegAudioEncLayer2  ..\third_party\Elecard\MpegAudioEncLayer2\dshow.vcproj
There was also a dshow.vcproj in ..\third_party\codecs\xvidcore\dshow but the Elecard one had a Narflex user file in it.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Sage Icon

Pasted my fresh-compiled SageTV.exe over my 7.1.9 install and it started right up just fine!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Pasted my fresh-compiled SageTV.exe over my 7.1.9 install and it started right up just fine!
How about posting it and let us take a crack at it
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quote:
How about posting it and let us take a crack at it
If you want, you can host it in the OpenSageTV bintray area.

https://bintray.com/opensagetv/sagetv/SageTV/view

I would update the SageConstants build number to 4, and then post it with the other binaries that I've posted.

Bintray can use your GitHub account for authentication. I'm not sure if there is an option to request access or if I have to manually add you. So, if you provide me with your bintray username (which is probably your github username, after you log into bintry), then I can add you to the opensagetv area, and you can then post files for download, there.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

And if it ends up working, document what you finally did to get the build environment up and running, and check in the .sln (and other changes) to github.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

It looks like the version info inside launcher.rc is pretty old:

Code:
            VALUE "CompanyName", "SageTV, LLC"
            VALUE "FileDescription", "SageTV"
            VALUE "FileVersion", "6, 0, 13, 1"
            VALUE "InternalName", "SageTV"
            VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright © 2001-2006 SageTV, LLC"
            VALUE "OriginalFilename", "SageTV.exe"
            VALUE "ProductName", "SageTV"
            VALUE "ProductVersion", "6.0"
Before I rebuild the .exe's and they end up in the wild, what should be in those fields? Obviously something like 9, 0, 0, 4 makes sense for the FileVersion but what about the CompanyName and LegalCopyright? Does this need some kind of OS owner now?

These details show up when you hover over an .exe. It seems even V7 still has V6 info in it.

How about this:

Code:
            VALUE "CompanyName", "SageTV Open Source"
            VALUE "FileDescription", "SageTV"
            VALUE "FileVersion", "9.0.0.4"
            VALUE "InternalName", "SageTV"
            VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright © 2015 The SageTV Authors"
            VALUE "OriginalFilename", "SageTV.exe"
            VALUE "ProductName", "SageTV"
            VALUE "ProductVersion", "9.0"

Last edited by wnjj; 09-10-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Sage

@wnjj that looks fine to me
Old 09-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, here's a zip containing the following, recompiled in VS2015:

SageTV.exe
SageTVService.exe
SageTVClient.exe
SageTVPlaceshifter.exe
SageTVStudio.exe

I left out SageTVLite.exe, SageTVLiteService.exe and SageTVRecorder.exe to get under the file size limit. Are those even used anymore anyway?

I assume this means people can now use the PC clients and placeshifters without a license using these and a V9 jar?

I think the launcher code is simple enough that there are no VS2015-specific runtime dependencies. I've only tried SageTV.exe on top of a V7.1.9 install on win7 but I think they should run. Hopefully someone on an XP system can verify this.

I've yet to go through all of the numerous DLL's in the SageTV install directory to account for them all. There are many more than what are currently in the VS solution. Some are obviously VS2005 runtime libraries and maybe others are 3rd party available but there are also stv*.dll files that I haven't figured out how to build.

In the end, is it appropriate to host binaries that don't have source code? Theoretically there are DLL's in 7.1.9 that may never need recompiled so we could just add them as needed. Perhaps there are obsolete ones in 7.1.9?
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV_V9_exe.zip (737.9 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by wnjj; 09-12-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Updated ZIP with fixed SageTVService.exe