SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Sage User

VS2005 build environment

I'm trying to build the native/SageWorkspace.sln in Visual Studio 2005. I've got all of the third-party projects properly included in the solution (thanks for the tip on the "Rebuild Sage.jar" thread), but there are a lot of .h files that VS2005 cannot find. Any guidance on how I should set up my include paths to make sure I can find all of these?

Here is a sample of the header files that cannot be found:

Code:
MpegMux.cpp
.\MpegMux.cpp(76) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'streams.h': No such file or directory

dllmain.cpp
c:\users\cj06\documents\github\sagetv\third_party\microsoft\evrpresenter\evrpresenter.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'intsafe.h': No such file or directory

Guids.cpp
c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\strmif.h(21826) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ddraw.h': No such file or directory

WinRawInput.cpp
..\..\include\sage_UserEvent.h(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'jni.h': No such file or directory

c:\users\cj06\documents\github\sagetv\native\dll\dx93d\stdafx.h(38) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'D3dX9.h': No such file or directory
While I am at it, are there any special directories I need to include in the library or EXE paths, or anything else unusual in the environment that I need to know about?

TIA
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

jni.h is in the JDK_HOME/include folder. On the Linux side, all that needs to be done is define the JDK_HOME environment variable and the build script looks in the include folder under there. I don't know if the Visual Studio projects are set up the same way, but it will be something close to that.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Sage User

A little bit of Googling shows the sort of error this is -- though not the specific error. I gather that I do not have the right mix of Microsoft SDKs installed. So let me re-phrase my question:

What suite of tools and SDKs do I need to have installed on my Windows 7 system to be able to build the Windows-related components of Sage?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckewinjones View Post
A little bit of Googling shows the sort of error this is -- though not the specific error. I gather that I do not have the right mix of Microsoft SDKs installed. So let me re-phrase my question:

What suite of tools and SDKs do I need to have installed on my Windows 7 system to be able to build the Windows-related components of Sage?

Thanks.
On top of my head for VC2005 you need to install the Windows SDK 2.0, however what you really need are just the headers and some libraries for compiling the DirectShow filters. I use VC2010 for my DS filters and it requires SDK v7.1 (albeit it works with v7.0A as well) for VC2012 you need v8.0 and v8.0A.

Moving forward the project should be converted to VS2010 at least and recompile the filters and patching where necessary.

I do have myself plans to fork the code-base at some point to work on the DVB tuners support, modify the TS Splitter to better integrate with my filters also on the Embedded Linux side and see what damages I can make there

Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 08-16-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage

Yeah, some of those look like DirectX SDK files that you need to have installed.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage User

Thanks, everybody.

It'll be a day or two before I can get to this but I think I have enough information to get things going.

"Moving forward the project should be converted to VS2010 at least"

I strongly agree with this. Once I have succeeded in building with VS2005 I think I will install the latest MS environment (VS2015 Community Edition, I think) and get it building there. It's scary working in a development environment that is ten years old and no longer supported by the vendor.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage

I fully support moving to a more modern Windows build environment. (I just don't build Windows code anymore, so I can't verify anything relating to that unless it's on my old SageTV workstation, running VS2005)
Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been able to get the debug version of everything built locally with VS 2010, I still need to go through and document everything I did to make this work, but roughly it is

DirectX SDK,
Windows SDK 7.1,
Windows SDK 6.1,
and JDK of course.

I still need to go through and make sure all of the release options build locally as well. Also need to test it

It looks for streams.h in many projects which I was able to find in the sample code in SDK 7.1. it also depends on the lib that is generated when building the baseclasses, so I have added it to the workspace.

Narflex, I am not sure if you made any code changes to baseclasses or even if I have the correct version, can you verify?

Once I get through all of this I will upgrade the solution to VS 2015 Community Edition since it is free

Jayson
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijay View Post
I have been able to get the debug version of everything built locally with VS 2010, I still need to go through and document everything I did to make this work, but roughly it is

DirectX SDK,
Windows SDK 7.1,
Windows SDK 6.1,
and JDK of course.

I still need to go through and make sure all of the release options build locally as well. Also need to test it

It looks for streams.h in many projects which I was able to find in the sample code in SDK 7.1. it also depends on the lib that is generated when building the baseclasses, so I have added it to the workspace.

Narflex, I am not sure if you made any code changes to baseclasses or even if I have the correct version, can you verify?

Once I get through all of this I will upgrade the solution to VS 2015 Community Edition since it is free

Jayson
Out of curiousity... does VS studio support doing automated command line builds? I know someone was looking into a Continuous Integration server, and being able to fully build from headless server would be ideal as well.

Great work on this.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes. Not sure about the free versions of VS, but I know the full version of 2010 includes command line tools to build solutions.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f35ctcxw.aspx

Yes even the free version

"Every edition of Visual Studio installs a command-line toolset that includes a compiler, linker, and other build tools, and a command file that sets the required build environment."
Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f35ctcxw.aspx

Yes even the free version

"Every edition of Visual Studio installs a command-line toolset that includes a compiler, linker, and other build tools, and a command file that sets the required build environment."
That's good news... now if only we could get a container with windows + vs for doing automated builds for windows much like how we can do it for linux with vagrant. I know it's not possible, but it would be cool.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
That's good news... now if only we could get a container with windows + vs for doing automated builds for windows much like how we can do it for linux with vagrant. I know it's not possible, but it would be cool.
well... I THINK the Microsoft c compiler will run in Wine.... :-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-20-2015, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
well... I THINK the Microsoft c compiler will run in Wine.... :-)
Maybe the command line compiler tools, might... but from all accounts getting VS working under wine is not happening
Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, you had sort of talked about two things there, a packaged development environment (not likely) and automated builds (might be possible).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:

Jayson
I'm quite sure I wouldn't have changed anything in the baseclasses...that's bad programming. (and multiple devs were building this, as well as the 'build' machine we had for making the actual releases)
Old 09-01-2015, 04:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

DirectX SDK,
Windows SDK 7.1,
Windows SDK 6.1,
and JDK of course.

Jayson
Jayson,

How far have you progressed on this? I think there are many people who would love to see the Windows side of this project get off of the ground.

Thanks,

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have the build working and have checked my changes into my own fork. I still have not had a chance to test it, but it does build successfully on my machine. Hoping to get to that soon

thanks,
Jayson
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have the build working and have checked my changes into my own fork. I still have not had a chance to test it, but it does build successfully on my machine. Hoping to get to that soon

thanks,
Jayson
Cool :-)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

DirectX SDK,
Windows SDK 7.1,
Windows SDK 6.1,
and JDK of course.

Jayson

This may be a dumb question but why do you need two different versions of the SDK? Is the base using 6.1 but some of the sample code from 7.1?

While I starting looking toward building with VS 2015 Community Edition it seems that as of version 2013, the DirectX SDK is now part of the Windows SDK. I'm not familiar enough with the differences in SDK versions but I'm assuming some code changes will be needed to migrate Sage to the latest one?

It would be nice to minimize the number of installs, support packages, and dependencies.