SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDCPI?

WOW am I glad I randomly checked the forums! Still got the link on my address bar but mothballed my stuff a long time ago! Closest thing I've found is Media Center and of course since it's from the Borg there is no customizing it at all... VERY VERY VERY happy to hear of this development!

One very important question: Does anyone think there is any chance now that Sage is open source that we will ever be able to support HDCPI / protected content? Out where I am here on the east end of Long Island there is a ton of shows that are marked copy protected.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

You can record the following with SageTV:

- Cable TV that is encrypted, but marked as "copy freely" using a cable card tuner from Silicondust or Ceton.
- Pretty much anything that comes in on a set-top-box, either via HD-PVR or Colossus, with Sage controlled infrared channel changes. One tuner per set-top-box.

Jeff has mentioned that SageTV will probably not have the ability to record the copy restricted broadcasts.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh, and of course you can still record anything coming in on Clear QAM and over the air with an antenna.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
You can record the following with SageTV:

- Cable TV that is encrypted, but marked as "copy freely" using a cable card tuner from Silicondust or Ceton.
- Pretty much anything that comes in on a set-top-box, either via HD-PVR or Colossus, with Sage controlled infrared channel changes. One tuner per set-top-box.

Jeff has mentioned that SageTV will probably not have the ability to record the copy restricted broadcasts.
Thanks, actually just went deeper into this forum and found another multi page post that basically comes to the same conclusion.

I did do the set top box with the infrared for many years, but as well as it worked it was a PITA because first of all the STB's from Cablevision were very unreliable and took forever to boot (new ones are a little better) and I had no way to know when the boxes got turned off so I would wind up with 3 days of black recordings. Since they were hooked only to the capture card and not to a tv there was also no way to view them directly easily when there was an issue.

It worked well when it worked but I was very happy the day I unhooked those boxes and went over to a HDHomerun. Although that hasn't been perfect either, there's a very well documented problem with Cablevision cards that causes them to constantly lose authentication.

Sigh, I guess I'm an old man but I miss the old days when all that was required was a bare coax wire and a hauppauge card...
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

Just dropped my daughter off at college yesterday for her freshman year. Her dorm has an arrangement with the local cable company (Charter) so that all of the rooms have an in-the-clear coax jack. You connect a television with a QAM tuner up via coax cable, run a channel scan and find yourself with lots of high-def, widescreen channels. A SageTV enthusiasts dream.

I'm trying to figure out a way to move into the dorm...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Gotcha. Sorry to waste your time with my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
Thanks, actually just went deeper into this forum and found another multi page post that basically comes to the same conclusion.

I did do the set top box with the infrared for many years, but as well as it worked it was a PITA because first of all the STB's from Cablevision were very unreliable and took forever to boot (new ones are a little better) and I had no way to know when the boxes got turned off so I would wind up with 3 days of black recordings. Since they were hooked only to the capture card and not to a tv there was also no way to view them directly easily when there was an issue.

It worked well when it worked but I was very happy the day I unhooked those boxes and went over to a HDHomerun. Although that hasn't been perfect either, there's a very well documented problem with Cablevision cards that causes them to constantly lose authentication.

Sigh, I guess I'm an old man but I miss the old days when all that was required was a bare coax wire and a hauppauge card...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

or use HDFury between set-top and HDPVR......
Old 08-25-2015, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sage has the option for pre/post tune commands, so if there's an IR command that will always wake or turn on the box, you can have Sage send that first. That's what I did when I had Dish and their boxes went to sleep overnight, it was very reliable.

There's also an STB Keepalive plugin but I never used that.

As for copy protection, CableCard will never happen, the costs are way too high for an Open Source project.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Gotcha. Sorry to waste your time with my post.
Not at all. All help is appreciated!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Just dropped my daughter off at college yesterday for her freshman year. Her dorm has an arrangement with the local cable company (Charter) so that all of the rooms have an in-the-clear coax jack. You connect a television with a QAM tuner up via coax cable, run a channel scan and find yourself with lots of high-def, widescreen channels. A SageTV enthusiasts dream.

I'm trying to figure out a way to move into the dorm...
I would go back for another degree!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Sage has the option for pre/post tune commands, so if there's an IR command that will always wake or turn on the box, you can have Sage send that first. That's what I did when I had Dish and their boxes went to sleep overnight, it was very reliable.

There's also an STB Keepalive plugin but I never used that.

As for copy protection, CableCard will never happen, the costs are way too high for an Open Source project.
Thought about that, unfortunately these boxes had a single IR code for on/off. Scientific Atlanta was the make.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
or use HDFury between set-top and HDPVR......
Haven't heard of that, will have to check it out, ty
Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thought about that, unfortunately these boxes had a single IR code for on/off. Scientific Atlanta was the make.
My SA3200 had that issue but the SA3250HD and newer boxes all had a setting that would power on when any key was pressed - and this worked for both firewire input and IR input. So the box sleeping was not an issue.

I have been running two HD-PVRs connected to SageTV for about 7 years with very few issues although I have had issues with boxes dying.