SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Ya it's definitely tempting to get a nexus at the prices they are it's all a use case. If you use OTA or any tuner that pulls in mpeg 2 i wouldn't go any route but Shield. if you don't need mpeg 2 then nexus is the winner for sure. Unfortunately my cable company and my OTA are mpeg2 so I require the more expensive option.
I do not get what you mean I have the HDHomerun Software and can view all my HD Channels with no problem on my TV .. I use my Nexus Player as a replacement for my cable box and it plays everything including protected content ... All my content from Comacst is mpeg2. I also Play OTA channels on it. Maybe you are misinformed.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Nexus are only $50 right now at best buy heck of a deal.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That is a great deal.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm going the shield route for mpeg 2 and game streaming. Win win. Only thing missing is Amazon instant.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't have any mpeg2 content (I think)... so I'm using a developer version of the Google Nexus Player. I haven't really played around too much with the video on it. I know when I was working on the native sagetv android app for Android TV I was able to play back pretty much all of my content on that unit. I actually gave up on it, because it didn't have comskip integration

So, as plucky said, if you have mp2 stuff, you'll want a device that can play that natively without transcoding, and I think the shield will do that. Also the newer Nexus Players from google is "supposed" to have hardware support for mpeg2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...g2_decoder_in/
Well, if the unit is running the Android MiniClient comskip should work just fine

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Well, if the unit is running the Android MiniClient comskip should work just fine
It should... and hopefully we'll get it to that point I would love get to the point where I can use my AndroidTV as my primary viiewing device.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
My local Wal-Mart has them for that price too. I was thinking about picking up another one
Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Also the newer Nexus Players from google is "supposed" to have hardware support for mpeg2.[/url]
Yep, the Nexus Player has hardware MPEG2 decode in Android 6 Marshmallow which is beginning its rollout in little over a week on October 5th. The Shield's base model is ~$150 more expensive but is the premium Android TV stb at the moment. But I wouldn't go out and buy anything until the new Nexus devices are announced this coming Tuesday.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgruelle View Post
My local Wal-Mart has them for that price too. I was thinking about picking up another one
I picked up one at Best Buy today for $49. It's a nice little unit, but they sure didn't make it easy to sideload apps

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I picked up one at Best Buy today for $49. It's a nice little unit, but they sure didn't make it easy to sideload apps
Get "ES File explorer" then you can browse your network. I have my sideloaded Apps on a shared folder.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-25-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

How's the actual controller on it though? Does it support a 'real' controller with actual buttons to actually control media?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-26-2015, 04:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Get "ES File explorer" then you can browse your network. I have my sideloaded Apps on a shared folder.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
How's the actual controller on it though? Does it support a 'real' controller with actual buttons to actually control media?
Controller is a mixed bag. It's very minimalist; four direction keys, one select key, one back key, one search key and that's about it. For apps designed with it in mind it's good. I'm not sure how we can map more of the sage functions to it. Might have to somehow simulate keys by double clicking (click back once and it's back one menu, double click and it's home.)

Old 09-26-2015, 06:26 AM
Sage Icon

I think there is no infrared sensor on the Nexus so you can't use a universal remote.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

https://flirc.tv/ works nicely on Android and can emulate a standard keyboard. It should be trivial to then remap commands in SageTV accordingly.

Shield TV actually has an ir receiver built in but, from what I understand, Nvidia hasn't exposed some of the more esoteric Android KeyEvents that might be of interest to SageTV users (e.g. KEYCODE_TV, KEYCODE_DVR, KEYCODE_MEDIA_RECORD).
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Is there or will there be any way to use this with Sage V7, or is that simply not possible?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Is there or will there be any way to use this with Sage V7, or is that simply not possible?
I attached a USB Hub to my Nexus Player and use a wireless mouse and my Remotes using the flirc remote receiver posted above. Also added a usb to NIC card I had.

I got this to attach the usb hub. There are also other usb hubs with NIC connection. You can also add a Flash Drive for more storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812228975

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-26-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

New Alpha Build

This build uses OpenGL rendering, which is faster, but the rendering is not 100% complete (you probably won't notice, because it's simple shapes that I will not render, yet)

3 Finger swipe down will activate Options (ie, sends CTRL+O)

The DPAD middle select should now work.

Added ability to manually add a New Server. NOTE: LOCATORID stuff is not working so you'll have to use IP Address.

While there is still lots to do, and clean up, on the UI rendering, I want to start the Video processing stuff next. I suspect that next phase will consume a lot of time, so hopefully what is released right now, will be enough for people to play with.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
https://flirc.tv/ works nicely on Android and can emulate a standard keyboard. It should be trivial to then remap commands in SageTV accordingly.
Trivial, yes, but also tedious, so to date, there are no direct key mappings like, letter X maped to sagetv letter X. That will eventually come, but for now, if you use a physical keyboard, and hit a letter, nothing will be sent to sagetv. Mainly because every single mapping has to be explicitly setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
This client should work with V7 as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

This build uses OpenGL rendering, which is faster, but the rendering is not 100% complete (you probably won't notice, because it's simple shapes that I will not render, yet)

3 Finger swipe down will activate Options (ie, sends CTRL+O)

The DPAD middle select should now work.

Added ability to manually add a New Server. NOTE: LOCATORID stuff is not working so you'll have to use IP Address.

While there is still lots to do, and clean up, on the UI rendering, I want to start the Video processing stuff next. I suspect that next phase will consume a lot of time, so hopefully what is released right now, will be enough for people to play with.
Not notice a huge speed different on my end, but also not seeing any fanart images in Gemstone - honestly don't remember what gemstone is using to render them, but apparently its one of the objects you don't have implemented yet.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room