SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problem building on Linux (not Ubuntu) [SOLVED]

I opened a git account and got the zipped download, unzipped it and ran build_all.sh with this result:

tony@X3 ~/SageTV/sagetv-master/build $ ./buildall.sh --info
Build the Sage.jar file
Bulding Sage.jar...
SAGETV VERSION 9.0.0.3_amd64
:compileJava FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileJava'.
> Could not find tools.jar

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 1.972 secs
/home/tony/SageTV/sagetv-master/build
Build failed, exiting.

Where can I find tools.jar?

Last edited by ASegredo; 10-11-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: problem solved
Old 10-08-2015, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you check out the Configure Linux section of this post.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62324

tools.jar is a part of Java (JDK).
Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have oracle-java-1.8 but no tools.jar

I think I have to install UBUNTU and copy the file to my machine.

My machine is Gentoo and does not use apt-get.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo View Post
I have oracle-java-1.8 but no tools.jar

I think I have to install UBUNTU and copy the file to my machine.

My machine is Gentoo and does not use apt-get.
Yeah, I get that, you are not using Ubuntu... i used gentoo for a year or so as well.... but you need the JDK for java 1.8 and not the JRE. It sounds like you have the JRE. So depending on how you install java... make sure you get the JDK.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ooops! I installed the jdk, but the symbolic link was still pointing at the jre.

Java is building nicely now, but it's failing building the libraries and mplayer. I already have the libraries and mplayer. What is the final executable called?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ooops! I installed the jdk, but the symbolic link was still pointing at the jre.

Java is building nicely now, but it's failing building the libraries and mplayer. I already have the libraries and mplayer. What is the final executable called?
There is single executable for sagetv... it's basically the Sage.jar plug a bunch of native binaries and shared objects.

If the native code is failing to compile, the look through the list of libraries that I listed on the ubuntu guide, and install the corresponding gentoo versions.

Alternatively, you can try the vagrant and/or docker images and build from that as well. I have both 32bit and 64bit vagrant images.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Got it to build but the jar won't execute. says it's missing a header. I used some spare disk space and installed Ubuntu. Wouldn't build there with the jni.h error. Sure enough "sudo apt-get install -y oracle-java8-installer" just installs the jre. For some reason Firefox wouldn't download the SE tgz file, so I've done that on Windows and have to transfer it to Ubuntu by mounting the Windows drive. Not sure if Ubuntu will do that so first I'll transfer it to the Gentoo partition and mount the Ubuntu partition from there.

This is turning into quite a chore just getting it built. I can appreciate all the trouble you went through. I'll go back to it tomorrow.

For anyone else following this, I did have the Ubuntu icedtea jdk, but that failed. it appears to need real Oracle.

Last edited by ASegredo; 10-09-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Take a look at this Vagrgant file. It has all the instructions for what needs to be installed... In fact this file goes a step further and does a github clone, and build, and installs the deb files. I use this one and the 32bit one for testing. (you can ignore the sudo apt-get install -y lubuntu-desktop since that is used to turn a server image into a desktop, since most vagrant images are server images)

I use openjdk-7-jdk on that image, which works fine.

Or, you can just install vagrant and then use one of the 32/64 images and ssh into it... and then do all the compilation work there (I use that as well to build 32bit versions, since I'm running 64bit and sagetv isn't setup to cross compile, yet)

The gui vagrant images are actually used (by me) to do complete end to end builds so they are setup to fetch the sources, and create the .debs and actually install the client and server builds so that I can test them. the non gui vagrant images are just meant to be shells, so all they do is get an environment ready to build, but you still need to git clone and and run the actual build script.

Even if you can't use Vagrant, the single shell like script that I reference should give you a good idea of what needs to be setup before a buildall.sh can work.

Building from sources is never easy... but I'm not sure how to make it any easier

Last edited by stuckless; 10-10-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Many thanks. I did get it to build on Ubuntu. I manually downloaded the tarball and extracted it over the jre files since Ubuntu would not recognize that I had installed outside of a repository. When I ran I got:

tony@CASTI ~/sagetv-master/build/release $ java -jar Sage.jar
no main manifest attribute, in Sage.jar

I will try the alternative you suggested above.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

That vagraant file worked perfectly except for building mplayer which I already have on my system. In fact, I have all the 3rd party applications.

I see now that I misinterpreted your remark about Sage.jar being the executable and sagetvclient.sh with sagetvserver.sh are the executables.

Sagetvclient.sh does indeed run, although the text is hard to read because the window is so small and Sagetvserver.sh does not crash, so I think it's working.

I never used the client server setup, so I need to read the manual.

Thanks again for all your work.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage

FYI, you won't be able to use the standard mplayer or ffmepg with SageTV. It requires the SageTV specific build because there were modifications done to it.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That vagraant file worked perfectly except for building mplayer which I already have on my system. In fact, I have all the 3rd party applications.

I see now that I misinterpreted your remark about Sage.jar being the executable and sagetvclient.sh with sagetvserver.sh are the executables.

Sagetvclient.sh does indeed run, although the text is hard to read because the window is so small and Sagetvserver.sh does not crash, so I think it's working.

I never used the client server setup, so I need to read the manual.

Thanks again for all your work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
FYI, you won't be able to use the standard mplayer or ffmepg with SageTV. It requires the SageTV specific build because there were modifications done to it.
YOu can download the 64bit binaries from this thread. They were rebuilt as of this morning.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Oh! That's bad.