SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

setting recording directory

I read the FAQ but it doesn't seem to help me. This is the same on v 2.20 and also on 2.19 before

I have 2 recording directories, drive H and drive I. drive H has 10 gb free and sage can use all the space. drive I has 37GB free and sage can use all the space.

I want it to use I as primary and H for overflow, but it keeps using H as the primary.

The only thing I can think of is that H is NTFS and I is fat32 and I can't convert it till I find space for the other stuff on the I drive.

Can anyone help?

-----------------------
This is what I found in the FAQ:

Q: Where does SageTV store my recordings?

A: In the location(s) where you tell SageTV to store them.
From the main menu, go to Setup -> Detailed Setup -> General -> Video Directories -> Modify. You will see a list of all the current directories where your recordings may be saved, along with an option to add a new directory. If you choose one of the existing directories, you can modify its settings, or remove it from the list. For each directory, you can specify how much available space SageTV is allowed to use by setting it to:

Use Only X GB

Leave X GB Free

Use All available space

If you specify option 1 or 2, please be sure the drive is currently capable of meeting the criteria you specify.

Q: Which directory will be used for the next recording?

A: The one with the most space currently available for SageTV to use.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: setting recording directory

Quote:
Originally posted by buzzerbee
I read the FAQ but it doesn't seem to help me. This is the same on v 2.20 and also on 2.19 before

I have 2 recording directories, drive H and drive I. drive H has 10 gb free and sage can use all the space. drive I has 37GB free and sage can use all the space.

I want it to use I as primary and H for overflow, but it keeps using H as the primary.
AFAIK, there is no way to do what you describe, as the last FAQ you have posted says, Sage just uses the drive with the most free space.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that H is NTFS and I is fat32 and I can't convert it till I find space for the other stuff on the I drive.
Filesystem shouldn't make a difference. On the conversion topic you should be able to use the "convert" command to convert the fat32 partition to NTFS while the drive has files on it. Of course if there's important stuff on that drive I'd back it up anyway, just in case.[B][QUOTE]
Old 07-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Also, check your recycle bin -- I'm not sure if SageTV gets the proper free space report if there are deleted files there. I would suggest turning off the recycle bin option for those drives, or at least for mpg files.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am compulsive about emptying the recycle bin and also removing the 'Norton protected' files. But if the FAQ is correct, why isn't it using the drive with 3x the space?

According to diskeeper defragmenter, this is my situation:
drive H: capacity 57321, free 10950 (19%)
drive I: capacity 76297, free 37,961 (49%)

"my computer" shows 10.6 and 37.6 free, so Sage should be getting some accurate #s.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Not sure... I only wrote that FAQ, not the program, and it is based on what has been reported in the forum many times. Is either one a network drive? You've double-checked the Use All setting? Are _any_ recordings stored on drive I? Have you checked the drives for any errors? I don't _think_ FAT vs NTFS makes any difference, but all my recording drives are NTFS, so I can't say for sure. Have you tried using the Leave Free X GB setting instead?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
Not sure... I only wrote that FAQ, not the program, and it is based on what has been reported in the forum many times. Is either one a network drive? You've double-checked the Use All setting? Are _any_ recordings stored on drive I? Have you checked the drives for any errors? I don't _think_ FAT vs NTFS makes any difference, but all my recording drives are NTFS, so I can't say for sure. Have you tried using the Leave Free X GB setting instead?

- Andy
Thanks Andy,

they are local drives in this PC. another thing I thought of is that I have 3 HDs, and 'drive H' happens to be the primary slave connected to the mobo. "Hard drive I" is on a PCI controller card.

I have confirmed the use_all setting is in place for both.

Without using 'drive H' (in detailed setup), sagetv saves just fine to 'drive I', but once you add 'drive H' (in detailed setup), it stops using 'drive I' and only saves to 'drive H'. I don't think the NTFS config should matter because the files are < 4GB.

There are some old sage recordings on both drives from when I only had "hard drive I" designated in setup, but they all are tucked away in a folder of 'keepers'. (Same on 'drive H' for symmetry now that it's saving files there).

I wonder if it's related to the controller card.

thanks

Last edited by buzzerbee; 07-07-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Unless several of us have been wrong about what I put into the FAQ (or if there is a bug), I don't know what would cause it to skip using drive I. As I mentioned, I would try changing the usage setting to see what happens. If you try that w/no change in drive usage & no one else has ideas, I would contact support to see if they can say why the drive is not getting used. I like have it set to leave 1 or 2 Gb free 'just in case'... but then I don't normally let my drives fill up anyway. Right now, my 3 large drives are fairly equally full, while the smallest drive hasn't been touched in a while.

Also, have you let drive H fill up to see if it then switches to I?

- Andy