SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Sage Expert

More regarding redundant recordings on dual tuner setuo

Jeff/Dan/Whoever:

Just in case you thought I was mistaken with my problem regarding both tuners recording the identical show at the same time on two channels, please look at this. I'm not harping on it, just hoping it's an easy fix. Attached is a screenshot from my SageGuide last night (early this morning). Conan OBrien is recorded twice at the same time on channel 11 and 25 (same exact show).

Here is the XMLTV data for both listings:

<programme start="20030521003700 -0400" stop="20030521013600 -0400" channel="11 WGRZ">
<title>Late Night With Conan O'Brien</title>
<desc>Model Tyra Banks; Live performs.</desc>
<category>Talk</category>
<category>Tabloid</category>
<audio>
<stereo>stereo</stereo>
</audio>
<subtitles type="teletext" />
<rating system="VCHIP">
<value>14</value>
</rating>
</programme>

<programme start="20030521003700 -0400" stop="20030521013600 -0400" channel="25 CKVR">
<title>Late Night With Conan O'Brien</title>
<desc>Model Tyra Banks; Live performs.</desc>
<category>Talk</category>
<category>Tabloid</category>
<audio>
<stereo>stereo</stereo>
</audio>
<subtitles type="teletext" />
<rating system="VCHIP">
<value>14</value>
</rating>
</programme>

Every single piece of data, except the channel description is identical. So, how could Sage interpret these as different shows? Unless mlar/Lester's plugin is changing the data somehow.

Anyway, the only bothersome part is how it ties up both tuners and nags me about changing channels during a recording (which happens about 5 times a day, BTW).

FYI: I've reverted back to version 1.2.8 if this is important to know.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guide.jpg (93.9 KB, 317 views)
Old 05-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi pawn,

As far as the plugin, and therefore SageTV is concerned, these are two completely different shows. Here's why:

In order for the plugin to consider two shows to be the same, they must have exactly the same <title> tag, <sub-title> tag and <desc> tag. If any of these tags are missing or not the same then the two shows are considered to be unique. Looking at the data below it is clear that the <sub-title> tag is missing from both shows. Therefore these two shows are unique as far as the plugin is concerned and this is what it tells SageTV.

It would be dangerous for the plugin to assume that two shows with the same <title> and <desc> tags are the same without reference to the <sub-title> tag. There are many shows with <title> and <desc> the same but with different <sub-title>.

Therefore your problem in this case is incomplete data being supplied by xmltv and not the fault of the plugin or SageTV.

Please understand that xmltv listings are inherently unreliable with regard to completeness of data. They are definitely good enough to enable the PVR functionality of SageTV for those outside the service area. But glitches such as what you noticed above can and will happen.

Regards
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 05-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Sage Expert

I leave it rest then and work on my little utility that I hope will sort out a couple of glitches with the XMLTV data.

In either case, this software is proving to be exactly what's been missing in the HTPC/PVR market...thanks for hooking me up ;^)