SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

What's a Good Android Device for the HDHomeRun View App?

Without reading any of the reviews I went ahead and installed HDHomeRun View on my Nexus Player. I guess some of you already know this but, the playback was completely unwatchable. It can barely playback SD and HD makes the interface all but unresponsive while it stutters constantly. I read that Kodi plays the same content live without issue on this device, so a good playback experience could be possible. I upgraded the firmware on my Prime to the very latest beta and that didn't help at all. If anyone was able to make this configuration work well, please let me know what I need to do.

I don't want to spend a fortune on an Android device that's just going to be used to record DRM'd content, so does anyone have any solutions that have been tested as working very well with the HDHomeRun View app and are less than $100?
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 05-06-2016, 02:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Without reading any of the reviews I went ahead and installed HDHomeRun View on my Nexus Player. I guess some of you already know this but, the playback was completely unwatchable. It can barely playback SD and HD makes the interface all but unresponsive while it stutters constantly. I read that Kodi plays the same content live without issue on this device, so a good playback experience could be possible. I upgraded the firmware on my Prime to the very latest beta and that didn't help at all. If anyone was able to make this configuration work well, please let me know what I need to do.

I don't want to spend a fortune on an Android device that's just going to be used to record DRM'd content, so does anyone have any solutions that have been tested as working very well with the HDHomeRun View app and are less than $100?
I use the Nexus Player and it plays fine using the HDHomerun view .... are you using wireless? did you enable hardware decoding hit the pause/play button over and over quickly until you get the setup screen.

PS the Nexus Player is one of the recommended clients .. I have been part of the early releases since the beginning and the NEXUS player is a great client.

Last edited by nyplayer; 05-06-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I use the Nexus Player and it plays fine using the HDHomerun view .... are you using wireless? did you enable hardware decoding hit the pause/play button over and over quickly until you get the setup screen.

PS the Nexus Player is one of the recommended clients .. I have been part of the early releases since the beginning and the NEXUS player is a great client.
I was hoping you'd chime in. I was trying to find information about this menu I heard about in the reviews.

Update: Hardware decoding was enabled. I'm on wireless. I assume to get it connected via Ethernet, I would need a USB adapter. I already have an OTG adapter, but I don't have any USB Ethernet adapters handy. If that's what you're suggesting, do you have a recommendation?
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 05-06-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM
SageTVaholic

That was part of the trick, I moved it closer the wireless AP and the picture is a lot better. It's interesting that this never effected SageTV playback.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in. I was trying to find information about this menu I heard about in the reviews.

Update: Hardware decoding was enabled. I'm on wireless. I assume to get it connected via Ethernet, I would need a USB adapter. I already have an OTG adapter, but I don't have any USB Ethernet adapters handy. If that's what you're suggesting, do you have a recommendation?
best to get a usb hub with ethernet ... i have an Orico usb hub with ethernet you can find them on amazon or newegg.

I suggest the hub in case you want to add a flirc or keyboard etc...
Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I figured out that the FireTV crashing is due to a problem with hardware acceleration. I disabled the acceleration and I can now playback the stream.

I got the USB Ethernet adapter/hub today. I was surprised to find that the wireless was still much more reliable. I had the same thing happen on the FireTV. I would suspect that something is wrong with my switch, but the wireless gets routed through the same switch. I fortunately have an AP that I just didn't have activated nearby where the boxes are actually going to be permanently, so this isn't a huge setback.