SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

WinTV-quadHD

Has anyone got the new Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD card working in SageTV? When I set the card up and "Add New Source" the card is recognized but does not find any channels. I then get this error, "capture device failure while starting recording". I realize that currently I can only get 2 tuners to work but I am having issues getting any of them to work. I am wondering if this is a driver issue or if I have a defective card. The rest of my SageTV system is working fine so I don't believe it to be a Sage issue.
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 PM

did you not look here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62484
Old 06-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I did. That is where I found out that only two of the four tuners would be used by SageTV. The problem is I can't get any of the tuners to work. Am trying to open a case with Hauppauge but have yet to get them to return an email or call. Here are some screen shots from my install. It looks to be a driver issue but it also could be a hardware problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before Driver Install.JPG (58.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg After Driver Install.JPG (66.3 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg Driver.JPG (47.9 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown Driver.JPG (37.4 KB, 334 views)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Additional files
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageTV Channel Scan.JPG (23.1 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg SageTV Error.JPG (80.6 KB, 307 views)
Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 AM

As rule you should always test by install the latest ver of WinTV which would be v8 34117 off there web site click here
Old 06-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

The problem there is this is running on Server class hardware, headless. I really have no way of watching video in the server itself. Server does not even have a sound card. I need something I can run in a Server/Client configuration. Hopefully I will get an answer from Hauppauge soon.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghildebr View Post
The problem there is this is running on Server class hardware, headless. I really have no way of watching video in the server itself. Server does not even have a sound card. I need something I can run in a Server/Client configuration. Hopefully I will get an answer from Hauppauge soon.
Sorry I don't much about server but I think you have to have directx install for it to work
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I have been running a Server OS with Sage for over 5 years. My current system has a HD-DVR running on it now and two very old ATi TV cards. Those are working perfectly. I was trying to replace the ATI cards with something that had drivers that were not written for Windows XP. That is where all of this started.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:34 AM

Well there really not much I can do as Hauppauge doesn't support server at all my guest is that your miss some thing that keep it form working.
The only thing you can do is install a video card and sound card then get it working that way then should fine after words back as headless server.
As it could be miss Dot NET Framework, DirectX or Visual Basic/C/C++ Run-Time Library that today driver need in order to work.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am unsure what a headless server is and if your using windows or not, but do not forget to scan for updates after you pop the card in and let windows install their drivers before you install the drivers from hauppage if you have not done so.

Also reboot your server if you have not done so as most of the time you can't scan crap with a new video card until sagetv has been shut down and turned back on again.

Like I said I am unsure what a headless server is so forgive me if none of the above applies to your situation
Old 06-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am running Sage on a Server 2012 R2 platform. When I say headless what I mean by that is there is really no way to watch anything from the Server itself. The video card is built into the motherboard and is a low end graphics card at best. There is no on-board sound card so that would take all the fun out of watching anything. The Server only serves up data to clients. Right now my particular server has 5 tuner cards in it. I am trying to replace my oldest two tuners, that are working at the moment, with a newer tuner. My reasoning behind that is the ATI tuner cards only have driver support for Windows XP. I have used these card for almost 10 years in multiple boxes, and believe me they do have there quirks.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Now for an update on the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD card. Support, along with development, had me run a application called tscapture, www.tscapture.com, on my box to independently look at the TV card itself. As soon as I clicked on "Scan" it Blu-screened the box. Neither the tech or the dev had ever seen anything like that. They immediately asked me to RMA the card. After a little bit of discussion I decided to go with a WinTV-HVR-2255 instead. My logic behind that decision was, what if the problem was not the card but the drivers? If I got a new card there is the chance that it would do the same thing. After reading SHS's insight on the new 4 tuner card it sounded like if I could get it working with 2 tuners for now and maybe someday Sage could somehow be made to see the other 2 tuners. Since both cards were the same price I saw no reason to not to get the 4 tuner card. Live an learn I guess.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghildebr View Post
Now for an update on the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD card. Support, along with development, had me run a application called tscapture, www.tscapture.com, on my box to independently look at the TV card itself. As soon as I clicked on "Scan" it Blu-screened the box. Neither the tech or the dev had ever seen anything like that. They immediately asked me to RMA the card. After a little bit of discussion I decided to go with a WinTV-HVR-2255 instead. My logic behind that decision was, what if the problem was not the card but the drivers? If I got a new card there is the chance that it would do the same thing. After reading SHS's insight on the new 4 tuner card it sounded like if I could get it working with 2 tuners for now and maybe someday Sage could somehow be made to see the other 2 tuners. Since both cards were the same price I saw no reason to not to get the 4 tuner card. Live an learn I guess.

Thanks for the explanation on headless server - By the way I am told that all 4 tuners work on NextPVR software but I myself like SageTV's layout better when viewing recordings to once again switch to NEXTPVR.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Thanks for the explanation on headless server - By the way I am told that all 4 tuners work on NextPVR software but I myself like SageTV's layout better when viewing recordings to once again switch to NEXTPVR.
That not true there always SichboPVR but if don't like NextPVR GUI then get Emby used as your main GUI along with NextPVR as backend recorder but you still need Schedules Direct.

Last edited by SHS; 06-23-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That not true there always SichboPVR but if don't like NextPVR GUI then get Emby used as your main GUI along with NextPVR as backend recorder but you still need Schedules Direct.

Never heard of SichboPVR until now or tested it personally so I may look in to it more as I still have schedules direct paid for from trying NextPVR and not liking the layout compared to how SageTV is laid out.

Appreciate the recommendation.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

One last update. I received the WinTV-HVR-2255 today and had absolutely no issues configuring it in my environment. All I can say is I am certain I had a driver issues as documented by the screen shots in the beginning of this thread. I cannot confirm if the original WinTV-quadHD worked or not. There is a possibility that I had a bad card and that caused the driver issues. One will never know.

Last edited by Ghildebr; 06-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is there any update to this?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Is there any update to this?
Nothing has been address in SageTV
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Nothing has been address in SageTV
Thanks, Do you think this will ever be handled in SageTV, as this sounds like a foundational (deep code) issue.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Thanks, Do you think this will ever be handled in SageTV, as this sounds like a foundational (deep code) issue.
Sorry that I don't know