SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Need a guide...

Seeing as this appears to be the most recommended method going forward (I know, I'm the one recommending it to everyone, but I'll just say that means the whole community is ), I think we need a proper start to finish guide for getting unRAID, SageTV, and perhaps some of the other likely candidates set up on a fresh server, as well as some tips on transition to that setup from an existing windows machine. I don't currently have the ability to do a build from scratch to capture of the step-by-step at this time, but hope to within a few weeks, but if someone does have some test gear and wants to assist at least compiling a bunch of screengrabs of the process, I can finalize a write-up for it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-17-2016, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

My test attempt at setting up SageTV under Unraid using the Docker

Over the last week, as time permitted, I attempted to setup SageTV using the Unraid docker and the OpenDCT docker. I was eventually successful.

I am comfortable in the Windows/DOS enviroment. I don't have a problem with Command Line (as long as I know the commands). I am not really versed with using Linux, either GUI or Command Line. As such I am still struggling with editing the Sage properties file (not that I need to, at this time). I was able to replace the OpenDCT properties file (it is in a freely shared folder/directory)

The hardware I used for this was an older Proliant ML110, Pentium D 3 GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 - 80 GB HD (used for cache drive), 3 – 1 TB WD Green drives (1 for parity, 2 for data). The cablecard tuner is a Ceton Infinity ETH6.

The following is a very general and rudimentary set of steps I went through for installing Unraid then installing the dockers for OpenDCT and SageTV. I had tried to setup Unraid several years ago, but was unsuccessful.

Download Unraid zip file and prepare USB drive. Follow the instructions from the Unraid website
https://lime-technology.com/getting-started/
There are several videos and text descriptions on setting up Unraid.

After formating the USB drive, copy the Unraid files to the USB and run the “Make Bootable” file, the USB drive should be ready to boot from.

Once Unraid is booted up for the first time, a few configurations need to be done before installing a Docker container.
(Unraid can be booted to a GUI screen and/or accessed through a web browser)
A storage array needs to be created and started. This is done under the “Main” tab
Set a static IP address (recomended). This Is “Network Settings” under the “Settings” tab.
Change the Unraid Server name (optional). This is “Identification” under the “Settings” tab
Once the array is created and started, the docker tab should appear.
(you need to create the array but you should be able to continue while parity is being sync’d)

Click on the “Docker” tab, paste the following URLs into the “Template Repository” and click SAVE.
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...uckless-sagetv
https://github.com/crazifuzzy/opendct-docker

Next, click the “Add Container” button, and click the “Select Template” list box to show available container templates.
If the above URLs were added to the repository, then the templates for OpenDCT and SageTV should be there.
Obviously, at least one of the Sage containers will need to be chosen, follow the same process to install the OpenDCT container (if it will be used, otherwise skip installing OpenDCT).

Suggest installing/starting OpenDCT first then SageTV.

Sage can now be accessed through a client, extender, or placeshifter using the IP address of the Unraid server. Configure SageTV as usual.

I have a Ceton Infinity Eth6 tuner. Sage saw the tuners from the Unraid instance (and others) upon first run, but I couldn’t tune any channels, just got No Signal using any tuner from the Unraid/OpenDCT instance.
Sage also saw the OpenDCT exposed tuners from my Windows systems (I was able to successfully tune channels through the Docker using the Windows based OpenDCT sessions).
I ended making a copy of the OpenDCT properties file from the Windows system, make a few small edits, and replaced the OpenDCT.properties file on the Unraid server. This gave me a working SageTV instance on the Unraid server using OpenDCT also running on the Unraid server. Unfortunately, if you don't already have a working OpenDCT instance, this insn't much help.

I haven't used the Docker instance of SageTV for any recording, as yet. this was more of a practice/test install for doing it again later.
I didn't copy over any recordings to the Unraid server, although doing so shouldn't be difficult. There seems to be a share readily accessible for media.
My purpose for doing this was to verify that I could setup Unraid and use the OpenDCT and SageTV Dockers.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 10-17-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, on your future endeavors, you really shouldn't need to get to the command line at all. The way the docker containers are setup, the configuration files are all in the \\[unRAID]\apps share, so you can edit the files from windows (I like to use notepad++ for this). Rules still apply for sage/opendct being shutdown to make the changes to the properties file. So you stop the docker container from the unRAID ui, then open and edit the file, save it, and start the container.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

regarding your issues with the openDCT configuration... do you happen to have a copy of the non-functioning and the functioning opendct.properties files, so I can figure out why it wasn't working out of the box?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
FWIW, on your future endeavors, you really shouldn't need to get to the command line at all. The way the docker containers are setup, the configuration files are all in the \\[unRAID]\apps share, so you can edit the files from windows (I like to use notepad++ for this). Rules still apply for sage/opendct being shutdown to make the changes to the properties file. So you stop the docker container from the unRAID ui, then open and edit the file, save it, and start the container.
Yeah, I eventually figured out how to connect to the unRaid share so I could edit (replace in my case) the OpenDCT properties file. I typically use notepad++ as well.
My real issue now is getting to the SageTV folder/Directory so I can modify the Sage properties file, this isn't in a readily accessible share ( at least not yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
regarding your issues with the openDCT configuration... do you happen to have a copy of the non-functioning and the functioning opendct.properties files, so I can figure out why it wasn't working out of the box?
I should be able to get you a copy of both, later today.

When setting up OpenDCT under Windows, the OpenDCT properties file adds the tuners it finds to it's property file, It doesn't appear that happened under unRaid for me.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
Yeah, I eventually figured out how to connect to the unRaid share so I could edit (replace in my case) the OpenDCT properties file. I typically use notepad++ as well.
My real issue now is getting to the SageTV folder/Directory so I can modify the Sage properties file, this isn't in a readily accessible share ( at least not yet.)

I should be able to get you a copy of both, later today.

When setting up OpenDCT under Windows, the OpenDCT properties file adds the tuners it finds to it's property file, It doesn't appear that happened under unRaid for me.
Do you not have an "\[unRAID]\apps" share? This should be exposed automatically... but if not, then you can you create a share that maps to that (but in 6.2, this should automatically create the share)
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Do you not have an "\[unRAID]\apps" share? This should be exposed automatically... but if not, then you can you create a share that maps to that (but in 6.2, this should automatically create the share)
Yes, that share is there (\\<unRaid>\apps) and I can find the OpenDCT folder within that share. What I don't see is the SageTV folder. It looks to me that the SageTV folder is in the AppData(?) folder which is not exposed by a share.

The real issue here is my ignorance of unRaid and Linux in general. Although I have tried to setup unRaid in the past, this is the first time it was successful.

I will say that having stumbled through it once, it is rather easy and simple (at least in hind site).

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Actually, at some point, the container definition changed to pointing to /mnt/user/appdata/sagetv instead of /mnt/user/apps/sagetv. In either case, /mnt/user/appdata/sagetv should be shared at \\<unRAID>\appdata\sagetv.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Actually, at some point, the container definition changed to pointing to /mnt/user/appdata/sagetv instead of /mnt/user/apps/sagetv. In either case, /mnt/user/appdata/sagetv should be shared at \\<unRAID>\appdata\sagetv.
I will check again, but I don't think it is shared (at least not for me).

Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That is correct (my personal setup still uses apps) but apparently "appdata" is the preferred unRAID area, so I updated the template some time ago to point to appdata instead of apps.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
That is correct (my personal setup still uses apps) but apparently "appdata" is the preferred unRAID area, so I updated the template some time ago to point to appdata instead of apps.
I should probably change the OpenDCT one as well.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have uploaded the 2 OpenDCT property files as well as the upgrade file.

I have included the sagetv_.txt files as well.

I am also including some screen shots from some of the unRaid Tabs.

I now have the \AppData folder shared out and I can now find the SageTV folder from Windows. It wasn't shared by default but I now see how to share it.

The unRaid server is 10.0.3.55 (this was 10.0.3.205 from DHCP before making IP static)
The Windows SageTV is 10.0.3.52 & 10.0.3.51
A test SageTV server is at 10.0.3.7 (I don't thnk this one shows up anymore, but in case)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unRaidDockerTab.JPG (100.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg unRaidSettingsTab.JPG (93.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg unRaidSharesTab.JPG (93.3 KB, 207 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendct.zip (5.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: zip sagetv_1.zip (303.3 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by UgaData; 10-17-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I have uploaded the 2 OpenDCT property files as well as the upgrade file.

I have included the sagetv_.txt files as well.

I am also including some screen shots from some of the unRaid Tabs.

I now have the \AppData folder shared out and I can now find the SageTV folder from Windows. It wasn't shared by default but I now see how to share it.

The unRaid server is 10.0.3.55 (this was 10.0.3.205 from DHCP before making IP static)
The Windows SageTV is 10.0.3.52 & 10.0.3.51
A test SageTV server is at 10.0.3.7 (I don't thnk this one shows up anymore, but in case)
Interesting. There appeared to be a problem with discovery of the devices. It's odd that changing the properties file out actually helped. Nothing really sticks out to me about the initial properties file vs the one you copied over. The initial logging might have been more revealing; I'll try out the container myself when I get a chance.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 10-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Interesting. There appeared to be a problem with discovery of the devices. It's odd that changing the properties file out actually helped. Nothing really sticks out to me about the initial properties file vs the one you copied over. The initial logging might have been more revealing; I'll try out the container myself when I get a chance.
Not that I actually know what I am looking at/for, but it kinda sorta looks like the changes (discovered devices?) aren't being written back to the properties file.

When I try to configure tuners from Sage, Sage sees the tuners from the docker, as well as all the other instances of OpenDCT on the network.

The original file was renamed Dot Old before coping the properties file over.

I can retrieve whatever remains of the log, provided I know where it is, if that would help.

Last edited by UgaData; 10-17-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Adding a Share for Windows in unRaid

I shared the \AppData folder by going to the Shares Tab
Clicking on the share name to open the Share Settings
Going to the lower portion of the screen titled SMB Security Settings
Change the list box for Export to YES
Change Security to PUBLIC
Click apply.

This should now make that share available to Windows (without prompting or username/password challenges).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unRaidSharesTab.JPG (93.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg unRaidShareSettingsmarked.JPG (98.9 KB, 203 views)

Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

What's happening, at least from what I'm seeing is the container doesn't stop OpenDCT in a clean manner. That's why nothing is being saved. I ran it myself and it found all of my capture devices that are exposed to the network, but nothing was saved. This would not necessarily prevent everything from working, but there is a key thing that's not being set, that I believe was scripted to be set for this container and that's to use upload id which is fairly important.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
What's happening, at least from what I'm seeing is the container doesn't stop OpenDCT in a clean manner. That's why nothing is being saved. I ran it myself and it found all of my capture devices that are exposed to the network, but nothing was saved. This would not necessarily prevent everything from working, but there is a key thing that's not being set, that I believe was scripted to be set for this container and that's to use upload id which is fairly important.
Hmm.. yeah, I did script it to add the mediaserver property to the file, which SHOULD set it when it is run, but honestly, I simply copied my config from a different running instance when I set mine up, so I may have missed that it isn't actually getting set. I'm not sure what the docker does when it is told to shit down. I would have assumed it'd send a SIGTERM to each process in the container, but maybe that's not the case?

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-17-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Based on some testing I just did (trying docker stop), openDCT is not handling SIGTERM, so it is getting SIGKILL'ed after a 10 second timeout when the docker is told to shutdown.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmm.. yeah, I did script it to add the mediaserver property to the file, which SHOULD set it when it is run, but honestly, I simply copied my config from a different running instance when I set mine up, so I may have missed that it isn't actually getting set. I'm not sure what the docker does when it is told to shit down. I would have assumed it'd send a SIGTERM to each process in the container, but maybe that's not the case?
It doesn't look like the script is actually hitting opendct.properties. The file should be under /etc/opendct/conf/opendct.properties.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Based on some testing I just did (trying docker stop), openDCT is not handling SIGTERM, so it is getting SIGKILL'ed after a 10 second timeout when the docker is told to shutdown.
That's probably true. You're running it in console mode. The only thing that will break it out of that mode and shutdown correctly is Ctrl-C (SIGINT). JSW doesn't appear to handle SIGTERM.

Edit: I know that you need to tie the docker container up with something to keep it from shutting down immediately, but I think the solution should be to start OpenDCT like the service is actually is. When the the container gets SIGTERM on PID 1, it should trigger the service to stop gracefully. I believe this is what the SageTV container does and to tie the initial process up, it just sleeps for infinity.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 10-17-2016 at 06:33 PM.