SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Docker on macOS

Hi all,
I'm playing around with the SageTV Docker image on macOS. I've gotten stuckless' SageTV Server container running and everything appears to be working. The directories I mapped are now populated by various SageTV files.

That said, I can't connect to the server with either the SageTV placeshifter client on Linux or through my HD300. In both cases, the server doesn't show up on list of available servers on my network, though my Windows 10 SageTV version does. Not sure if it's the Docker container or something with macOS.

I've attached the Docker log for review.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.txt.zip (21.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
Hi all,
I'm playing around with the SageTV Docker image on macOS. I've gotten stuckless' SageTV Server container running and everything appears to be working. The directories I mapped are now populated by various SageTV files.

That said, I can't connect to the server with either the SageTV placeshifter client on Linux or through my HD300. In both cases, the server doesn't show up on list of available servers on my network, though my Windows 10 SageTV version does. Not sure if it's the Docker container or something with macOS.

I've attached the Docker log for review.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben
Could you post the command you are using start the docker container?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here it is:
Code:
docker run -d --name sagetv-server \
  -v /Users/ben/Documents/SageTV/sagemedia:/var/media \
  -v /Users/ben/Documents/SageTV/mediaext:/var/mediaext \
  -v /Users/ben/Documents/SageTV/apps/sagetv3:/opt/sagetv \
  -v /Users/ben/Documents/SageTV/:/unraid \
  --net host \
  --env PUID=1000 \
  --env PGID=1000 \
  --env VIDEO_GUID=19 \
  --env OPT_GENTUNER=Y \
  --env OPT_COMMANDIR=Y \
  --env OPT_COMSKIP=Y \
  --env JAVA_MEM_MB=768 \
  --env VERSION=latest \
  --env OPT_SETPERMS=Y \
  --privileged \
  -t -i stuckless/sagetv-server-java8

Last edited by benjamintm; 12-10-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Might be something to do with how Docker is handling the --net option:
https://forums.docker.com/t/should-d...-work/14215/11
Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yep, seems like Docker for Mac doesn't offer an option to connect to the containers:
https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/networking/
---
There is no docker0 bridge on macOS

Because of the way networking is implemented in Docker for Mac, you cannot see a docker0 interface in macOS. This interface is actually within HyperKit.

I cannot ping my containers
Unfortunately, due to limitations in macOS, we’re unable to route traffic to containers, and from containers back to the host.
---

I'll have to play around a bit more with port mapping to see if that works, but I haven't had much success yet. The ports I've identified for the SageTV container are: 16867, 16881, 31099, 31100, 42024, 7818, 8080, 8270. Are there others?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 12-11-2016, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
Yep, seems like Docker for Mac doesn't offer an option to connect to the containers:
https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/networking/
---
There is no docker0 bridge on macOS

Because of the way networking is implemented in Docker for Mac, you cannot see a docker0 interface in macOS. This interface is actually within HyperKit.

I cannot ping my containers
Unfortunately, due to limitations in macOS, we’re unable to route traffic to containers, and from containers back to the host.
---

I'll have to play around a bit more with port mapping to see if that works, but I haven't had much success yet. The ports I've identified for the SageTV container are: 16867, 16881, 31099, 31100, 42024, 7818, 8080, 8270. Are there others?

Thanks,
Ben
Sounds like you got a lot figured out over night

Those are the ports, but, after forwarding them, your docker instance might end up thinking your clients are actually "remote" and it might treat them like a placeshifter. I'm not sure if there is a way to tells sagetv that it knows about multiple networks.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

There is a setting within the Sage properties file which controls the amount of bandwidth considered for local connections. I don't recall what it is off the top.

Separately, there is a freely available VM solution on the Mac which uses the native hypervisor called Veertu. Maybe not ideal, but you could run a lightweight Linux VM to run the server within.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

@stuckless - I don't like when I can't figure out a problem :-). I might just move to a Linux Docker solution instead. Really want to try unRAID though :-).

@bcjenkins - Thanks, I hadn't heard of Veertu, though it apparently has the same issue with bridging networks that Docker does: https://veertu.com/knowledgebase/con...local-network/

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by benjamintm; 12-11-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM
SageTVaholic

I use Veertu on my Mac and it has bridging.

https://veertu.com/knowledgebase/bri...eertu-desktop/

You have to create a bridge in the Manage Virtual Interfaces Menu within the Network Prefpane.