SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage User

Bad quality - how to find the reason?

Hi,

since moving to my new hardware (which is much more powerfull), I have chirps in the audio and the picture chitters. In the channel setup, it shows a signal strength of 100%. The usb dvb-c tuner is the same. What can be the reason for the chitters? What might be a way to find out?

Ken
Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Sage

You can take a recording and play it back with VLC and see if it plays back clean...then you'd know it's an issue with your playback config in SageTV vs. a problem with the recording.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage User

It's definitely a recording problem. The recordings from my testserver play nicely on the new server. Whereas the recordings of the new server show the same errors, if I play them e.g. on my pc, using the windows media player.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 AM
Sage User

I tried to check the incoming stream as described here:

Testing DVB device

However, when looking at the mpg files created with "Save a TV program to your hard drive", step a) or c), neither wmp nor vlc could play them.

Any hints? Or maybe there is another way test the plain stream?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:11 AM
Sage User

OK, I'm on step further, now. Since the new server doesn't need a desktop, I can not watch the file there. Hence, I went back to my test server and repeated the steps for testing the dvb device. Result:

- The stream recorded on my testserver looks nice
- The stream recorded on my new server has chitters.

Conclusion: The same DVB device works fine on my testserver and produces chitters on my new server.

In confused ...
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfox View Post
OK, I'm on step further, now. Since the new server doesn't need a desktop, I can not watch the file there. Hence, I went back to my test server and repeated the steps for testing the dvb device. Result:

Conclusion: The same DVB device works fine on my testserver and produces chitters on my new server.

In confused ...
Are you recording to a local drive on the new server or a network drive? I have had problems recording to a NAS or Network Drive.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfox View Post

In confused ...
If you have a new server with an old device have you looked in the bios settings to see if you can set the slot to an older format (PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 for instance)? I've got an ATSC tuner that will only work if the PCIe slot is set to 1.0 for instance. The card isn't even recognized if set to 2.0 or 3.0.

Long shot I know but something you could try to see if it is possible to change and if it makes a difference.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage User

I had some obviously conflicting modules in the kernel. Deactivating them in kernel config solved the problem, hopefully. I do not have "long-time-experience" until now.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Sage User

Finally, it was a kernel version problem. My DVB-C device works fine from Kernel 4.x and above.