SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I decided to use Unassigned Devices and use 4 drives mounted that way as my recording directories like I use to with a separate server. But that isn't necessary. I'm keeping it because I have the drives and it allows me the option to switch back to ESXi and virtualize unRAID again if I want. Not very likely but if they would allow running VMs and Dockers with the array stopped I wouldn't even consider switching back. Right now it is more hassle to switch back to ESXi than any benefit I would get currently. But I'm still keeping the option available to split unRAID and SageTV into separate VMs as an option to aid in unRAID maintenance while leaving SageTV still running.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I decided to use Unassigned Devices and use 4 drives mounted that way as my recording directories like I use to with a separate server. But that isn't necessary. I'm keeping it because I have the drives and it allows me the option to switch back to ESXi and virtualize unRAID again if I want. Not very likely but if they would allow running VMs and Dockers with the array stopped I wouldn't even consider switching back. Right now it is more hassle to switch back to ESXi than any benefit I would get currently. But I'm still keeping the option available to split unRAID and SageTV into separate VMs as an option to aid in unRAID maintenance while leaving SageTV still running.
I can't really think of a time I've needed to take down the unRAID array that wasn't to add a new drive. What 'unRAID maintenance' are you referring to?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I can't really think of a time I've needed to take down the unRAID array that wasn't to add a new drive. What 'unRAID maintenance' are you referring to?
Mostly that. I can leave the SageTV server running and hot plug the new drive in the unRAID VM HDD controller then fire up the unRAID VM and add the new drive to the array while I'm still recording. It usually works with the array stopped when running unRAID as the hypervisor but I have to stop the VMs and Dockers for that. Minor problem and why I haven't switched back to ESXi. But is why I've thought about it a few times. I always seem to have the free time to do this when there are no recording windows. No time for even the hot plug idea for the foreseeable future in any case.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
10. Anything else to keep in mind?
Check into how you'll do channel changing. For me, I want to use my HD PVR as an IR Blaster, and my understanding is that this isn't available on the SageTV Docker. I'd buy a USB UIRT blaster alternatively, but not aware that's currently "easy" to get going on the SageTV Docker.

I went with a Win10 VM on Docker to get Sage going with the HD PVR Blaster, and it's working great.

But, despite that I wasn't able to get SageTV going on Unraid Docker (and man I'd like to for the simplicity and management), I've LOVED my move to Unraid. I built up a dual CPU system with refurbed parts, got rid of an old 4 bay nas, and now have lots of nice server functions running like Plex and Crashplan.

I'm pretty busy and it took some learning, but for me I enjoy the hobby aspects of the process. I'd recommend Unraid to anyone with the use case and aptitude to figure it out.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I plan to have two, or maybe even three, HD-PVRs as tuners and my impression was that USB-UIRTs weren't too hard to get working in unRAID. I have never bothered even trying to use the Hauppauge IR control. But longer term I would hope to get firewire working, that has been the main way I have changed channels over the last decade and is the reason that my current server is 32 bit Windows rather than 64 bit.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
Check into how you'll do channel changing. For me, I want to use my HD PVR as an IR Blaster, and my understanding is that this isn't available on the SageTV Docker. I'd buy a USB UIRT blaster alternatively, but not aware that's currently "easy" to get going on the SageTV Docker.
Someone was kind enough to send me a USB-UIRT device (I don't have it yet... but my intention once I get it, is to hook it up and integrate it into the docker image. I know some of it is there... but I'd like to test it and validate it myself, and move my setup form command IR to USB-UIRT and then hopefully provide a better out of the box experience for people using docker.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Any interest in doing firewire? If you are on Rogers cable then I know that at least their older boxes like the 3250HD and 4250HD have active firewire ports. I am pretty sure that their cable infrastructure is the same in the Forest City as it is in T.O.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Any interest in doing firewire? If you are on Rogers cable then I know that at least their older boxes like the 3250HD and 4250HD have active firewire ports. I am pretty sure that their cable infrastructure is the same in the Forest City as it is in T.O.
Not really I'm on satellite, and I use 2 HDPVRs with CommandIR turning. In 7 years, I've had almost 0 failed channel tunes... In fact I can't recall the last time I ever had a channel fail to tune correctly. My hope is that USB-UIRT will be as stable. I don't really have any FireWire devices, etc, so not sure I can help here... but I will update the docker image with missing parts as people find them (I did that for USB-UIRT)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, if I get firewire working I will keep track of what I did so that you can add it to the main distribution. It is available in gentuner so hopefully I can get it working. There aren't huge advantages to firewire but it is likely cheaper than a USB-UIRT, especially if it is built into your mobo (which isn't so common anymore) and you don't have to worry about IR tents and zone settings, but setup can be trickier, especially with multiple STBs.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok, if I get firewire working I will keep track of what I did so that you can add it to the main distribution. It is available in gentuner so hopefully I can get it working. There aren't huge advantages to firewire but it is likely cheaper than a USB-UIRT, especially if it is built into your mobo (which isn't so common anymore) and you don't have to worry about IR tents and zone settings, but setup can be trickier, especially with multiple STBs.
The biggest issue with firewire is getting a STB that actually has the port enabled.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I am good there as I use FireWire currently in my Windows V7 server.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The biggest issue with firewire is getting a STB that actually has the port enabled.
Here in Canada you used to be able to buy a STB. One of the early models is the SA3250HD which is so old that it didn't have HDMI although it does have DVI and an active firewire port. The lack of HDMI doesn't matter if you are using the component outputs to feed an HD-PVR. I have had one or two of these boxes die on me but I have been able to buy some up cheaply at places like Kijiji or Craigslist. For anyone else in Ontario on Rogers cable you might want to keep that in mind.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

For me, moving to Unraid from a Windows box meant ditching FW in favor of the HDPVR blasting. My FW card was an old PCI format so I decided to try IR. I was very, very reluctant about this because Firewire was working so well.

FWIW, I'm completely happy now. I never have channel issues, and the setup (in Win) was much simpler.

On a separate note, I'm so glad that USB UIRT for the Docker is something in the pipeline!