SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Sage Expert

SageTV - unRAID docker HW requirments?

so, I was asked about setting up a media streaming thingy for a friend, ie sage+ shields (why are they like ~$200 now? I thought they were cheaper than that?) or maybe sheilds + kodi? (does kodi need anything server side? or is it all done in the client?)
anyway, on the storage side of things, what would be a good unRAID low budget hw setup?
I know what I would do, but it would probably end up not being low $$, would be way overkill, and it would definitely be awesome!
ie, Supermicro 24 bay SAS case, redundant power supplies, intel Xeon, supermicro server MB with IPMI, ECC mem, the whole works... my setup works great 20TB's of storage (not counting unassigned drives/etc) and plenty of room to grow...

but what would the more sane and responsible members of our little community do? what really is an adequate setup?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Unless your friend is really hell bent on getting sagetv, you can get by with just the Shield. The Sheild can actually run a Plex Server, and it act as a client for netflix, kodi, plex, etc, as well.

I went through a similar process recently for a friend of mine... Given that he wanted to run Plex and have multiple clients (no sagetv)... I opted for a decent core i5 server (more cores the better) with 16 gigs of memory... and he run Plex docker and a few other dockers now as well. Given that plex will likely transcode everything... having a decent server will be good.

BTW, the Shield has always been $200, but they gone on sale for $149. You need a Shield to get decent sagetv, plex, netflix performance... It's a great box, and I have 2 of them. But the MiBox from Walmart (made by Xiaomi) is also a decent box for $69 (+$15 for a usb network adapter -- optional, but probably want it if you are hooking up to sagetv)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
But the MiBox from Walmart (made by Xiaomi) is also a decent box for $69 (+$15 for a usb network adapter -- optional, but probably want it if you are hooking up to sagetv)
I have 802.11ac and the wireless has not been a hindrance to a good SageTV experience. This is using the Mi Box and Nexus Player.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I have 802.11ac and the wireless has not been a hindrance to a good SageTV experience. This is using the Mi Box and Nexus Player.
All my Clients are Wireless I have a AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router and it works flawlessly with my Nexus Player ... Shield ... ASUS Stick SageClients .
Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I repurposed my 4 year old plus or minus, windows desktop as an unraid server. I actually just pulled the hdd and put it in a drawer thinking that I could easily just reinstall that drive if I needed better hardware for my server later. Or if I decided to go with something like Qnap.

It is an Intel® Core™ i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 6gb of ram

I have a 512 gb ssd cache drive and 2 6tb data drives well actually one parity and one data.

I had my server plugged in to my kill-a-watt for weeks and it always seemed to draw about 32 watts.

I have had this running for about 5 months now with no problems. I run about 6 dockers including crashplan, sagetv and emby. I had a linux media sever before this unraid server and the difference is night and day. My time spent messing with the server has been reduced to almost nothing. I'm not the most technical user and it seemed every time I want to do anything in pure linux I would have to spend about 10 to 20 minutes looking up cli commands on google.....

Oh,by the way I purchased this WD HDD enclosure and pulled out the two 6tb WD red drives ($399.00). I'm hoping that these are exactly the same drives as the ones sold individually for $245.00.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't run plex and don't do any transcoding so I think that's probably why I can get away with weaker hardware than a lot of folks here.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Sage Expert

Thanx for the inputs...
This all started because their little people are my brothers God children, and they essentially grew up watching my sage setup...
And so they finally got around to asking what it would take to do the local streaming of movies only part...
I loaded up kodi on my phone...
People actually like kodi?
Just seems wrong to me...
Fast... Probably storing everything on my phone and using up all available storage space...
But it is fast...
I guess I am probably the only one here that prefers gemstone...
But thanks everyone, the using of an old pc could be the ticket...
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Sage Expert

Oh and fwiw while kodi on my phone just received a "meh"
The sage mini client with gemstone got a" wow that's cool"
Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
I guess I am probably the only one here that prefers gemstone...
I prefer gemstone but i may be a little biased

k
Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I prefer gemstone but i may be a little biased

k
I make it at least a three person group.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW, the Shield has always been $200, but they gone on sale for $149. You need a Shield to get decent sagetv, plex, netflix performance... It's a great box, and I have 2 of them. But the MiBox from Walmart (made by Xiaomi) is also a decent box for $69 (+$15 for a usb network adapter -- optional, but probably want it if you are hooking up to sagetv)
How does your Android client work these days compared to an HD200 or HD300, including playback of MPEG-2 files? I tried it several months ago and found it wasn't quite as good as the extenders, but I don't have any decent Android devices as we are an iOS household so I just had a cheap Android tablet and a cheap Android TV box. I bought up a bunch of extenders over the years, mainly HD200s, so I figure I may as well use those unless there is a compelling reason, like Netflix, Plex, etc, but most of our TVs have other devices like BR players or Xboxen that can handle Netflix.

Do you know if you can you buy the MiBox in Canada? I checked their online store but they are OOS.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
How does your Android client work these days compared to an HD200 or HD300, including playback of MPEG-2 files? I tried it several months ago and found it wasn't quite as good as the extenders, but I don't have any decent Android devices as we are an iOS household so I just had a cheap Android tablet and a cheap Android TV box. I bought up a bunch of extenders over the years, mainly HD200s, so I figure I may as well use those unless there is a compelling reason, like Netflix, Plex, etc, but most of our TVs have other devices like BR players or Xboxen that can handle Netflix.

Do you know if you can you buy the MiBox in Canada? I checked their online store but they are OOS.
Here's the comparison between the Android MiniClient and the HD300...

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv-miniclient/wiki

As for the MiBox... I was in port huron last month, so I picked one up at the walmart.

The Shields, I bought for 149 when they went on sale, from NVidia's site.

My collection is entirely h264 (.ts, mp4 and mkv) and I have 0 issues. Not sure if mpeg2 is quite as reliable on the MiniClient... My test files all work fine, but, I don't really have anything other than test files.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

That looks pretty good - any feel for UI responsiveness? Do you know if there is any material difference between the HD300 and the MiBox? Most of my extenders are HD200s which are even a bit slower than the 300.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That looks pretty good - any feel for UI responsiveness? Do you know if there is any material difference between the HD300 and the MiBox? Most of my extenders are HD200s which are even a bit slower than the 300.
The UI feels about the same on the Shield and MiBox... both are as fast HD300 in my experience... I've retired my 3 HD300s and I use 2 Shields and 1 MiBox.

The Shield is definately better hardware, but is costs much more... Given the price difference between Shield and MiBox... I'd go with the MiBox... But if price isn't a factor, it's the Shield all the way.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

The Mi Box is available for C$105 at Amazon.ca but it appears to be the Chinese only version, assuming that this is the same device.
https://www.amazon.ca/Chinese-Versio...keywords=mibox

I should try the latest version on my current Android TV device.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The Mi Box is available for C$105 at Amazon.ca but it appears to be the Chinese only version, assuming that this is the same device.
https://www.amazon.ca/Chinese-Versio...keywords=mibox

I should try the latest version on my current Android TV device.
No, it's confusing, because that isn't the box.. The box you want is this one...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...mart-costs-69/

But, you can only get it at Walmart, from what I can tell.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
No, it's confusing, because that isn't the box.. The box you want is this one...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...mart-costs-69/

But, you can only get it at Walmart, from what I can tell.

Walmart Canada does not sell it. I just got a new version with the Newest Amlogic S912 Cortex-A53 on sale last week for $105 CDN. Which would be a better spec than the Mi-Box that has the S905.

It works very quick on the Mini-Client almost no difference to the Shield which I have 2 of.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
Walmart Canada does not sell it. I just got a new version with the Newest Amlogic S912 Cortex-A53 on sale last week for $105 CDN. Which would be a better spec than the Mi-Box that has the S905.

It works very quick on the Mini-Client almost no difference to the Shield which I have 2 of.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The problem with that box, is that it doesn't run Android TV, which is why we are all recommending the Mi Box, or the Shield TV. The Android TV front end really is worth trying to track down one of those boxes.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Is the original Shield dropping in price now that a new model was announced at CES? It seems like inside the box the hardware is pretty much the same so this may be a good thing for SageTV users allowing us to pick up the "old" Shield at a good price.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Is the original Shield dropping in price now that a new model was announced at CES? It seems like inside the box the hardware is pretty much the same so this may be a good thing for SageTV users allowing us to pick up the "old" Shield at a good price.
I doubt it since it's reportedly the same exact hardware:

http://m.androidcentral.com/heres-wh...eld-android-tv