SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations > Gemstone for v9
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v9 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Sage User

No background images?

I've just starting using Gemstone with sagetv 9.0.13.536 on Ubuntu and there are no background images. The background on all pages is just grey.

Aren't there supposed to be standard images in the package?

Edit: It seems the Gemstone plugin only comes with a single, rather unappealing, grey background that is used on all menus. I've used the configuration utility to set the backgrounds of sub-menus by selecting an image to use. But, I can't find how to change the main menu background. I've replaced the SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV7\Themes\Gemstone\background.jpg file and restarted the server but the main menu still has the grey background.

Edit2: After some mucking about I managed to make it so the the server would no longer start so I started over (restored the sagetv directory from a backup made before installing Gemstone), reinstalled the Gemstone plugin and just replaced the background.jpg under SageTV7\Themes\Gemstone. Still no joy, all the sub-menu backgrounds are the new .jpg but the main menu background is still grey.

Last edited by mschauer; 03-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
I've just starting using Gemstone with sagetv 9.0.13.536 on Ubuntu and there are no background images. The background on all pages is just grey.

Aren't there supposed to be standard images in the package?

Edit: It seems the Gemstone plugin only comes with a single, rather unappealing, grey background that is used on all menus. I've used the configuration utility to set the backgrounds of sub-menus by selecting an image to use. But, I can't find how to change the main menu background. I've replaced the SageTV\SageTV\STVs\SageTV7\Themes\Gemstone\background.jpg file and restarted the server but the main menu still has the grey background.

Edit2: After some mucking about I managed to make it so the the server would no longer start so I started over (restored the sagetv directory from a backup made before installing Gemstone), reinstalled the Gemstone plugin and just replaced the background.jpg under SageTV7\Themes\Gemstone. Still no joy, all the sub-menu backgrounds are the new .jpg but the main menu background is still grey.
You probably need to rebuild the image cache. Just a guess. It seems like there's also an option to use weather background images to spice things up.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

MSChauer, have you had any luck. I have the same issue.

Karyl, how does one rebuild the image cache?
Hauppauge Quad
AMD A6-3500; 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte A75-UD4H MOBO
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Receiving Free Over-the-Air HDTV in Sunny San Diego
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

If you want a different background on menus go into menu manager from the options menu. Each menu item can have a background assigned...submenus will inherit their parents if they have nothing assigned.

Weather backgrounds are also available as a separate plugin install and then go into weather options and turn on weather backgrounds.

k
Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Weather backgrounds are also available as a separate plugin install and then go into weather options and turn on weather backgrounds.
How do you customize the backrounds - either the weather backgrounds or any backgrounds? I like the weather backgrounds but I am getting a little tired of looking at the same pictures for close to a decade. Can you just change the image files in the folders? Or can you even point Gemstone to different folders?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedly View Post
MSChauer, have you had any luck. I have the same issue.

Karyl, how does one rebuild the image cache?
I don't recall. I uninstalled Gemstone due to memory issues. I think it was something like Options on the main screen then Images.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
How do you customize the backrounds - either the weather backgrounds or any backgrounds? I like the weather backgrounds but I am getting a little tired of looking at the same pictures for close to a decade. Can you just change the image files in the folders? Or can you even point Gemstone to different folders?
For weather bg check the folders it installed as they are named by the condition number of i recall so you can add other images to those folders.

For menu items the background manager allows you to select from any available folder so you in theory use any set of images.

At one point JOrton planned to make more image packs available but i believe life got in the way
Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

yeah, I see those...named:
WeatherFOrcaseBGFIll
WeatherSHadow
but they are just gray, 300x300 png files. Nothing that looks like what I see online.

Also, I reverted back to the standard UI in an attempt to start over, and all the backgrounds from there are gone too.

I think things are jacked up because when it installed v9 (supposedly over V7) it went to the Program Files folder because I forgot to use the options. Then the issue got compounded when I installed Gemstone.

I think I'm going to uninstall v9 and try reinstalling over V7's original folder. Then reinstall Gemstone.

What's the best method for getting rid of V9. Do I uninstall or do I just delete the V9 folder and reinstall in the correct place?

ALso, if I uninstall, will I lose the decoders that come with V7?
Hauppauge Quad
AMD A6-3500; 8 GB RAM
Gigabyte A75-UD4H MOBO
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Receiving Free Over-the-Air HDTV in Sunny San Diego

Last edited by hedly; 06-28-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added ?