SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

TV Show Editorials

I notice now that the "TV Show Editorials" option under TV no longer works with the latest build and just wondered if you were planning on removing that in future all together or if it's just temporarily not working due to maybe not noticing since few people seem to use it.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

It works again in the latest unreleased builds, but it's not pulling from the best bets feed that SageTV has enjoyed. It's built based on suggestions provided by Schedules Direct based on content that you have currently recorded/scheduled to record.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
It works again in the latest unreleased builds, but it's not pulling from the best bets feed that SageTV has enjoyed. It's built based on suggestions provided by Schedules Direct based on content that you have currently recorded/scheduled to record.
One thing that I liked about the Editorials screen was that it gave descriptions that were different from the episode description from the main EPG. Sometimes when trying to determine if a new show is worth recording, I like to read little more than I can get from just the episode description or the series info description.

Also this Editorials screen often had more than just season or series premieres. It sometimes includes specials that you might otherwise miss (like parades, award shows, holiday classics, etc.).

Hopefully the new replacement ENE mentioned above will provide similar functionality.

By the way, the Malore menus already include a Premiers/finales/specials screen. I have mine configured with 4 tabs for Series Premiers, Season Premiers, Finales, and Specials. This screen works pretty well, but it relies on the EPG data being accurate and complete. I've noticed that most shows I watch no longer bother marking series or season finale in their guide data. So there can be some holes, which is why it was nice having the Editorials screen, which didn't seem to rely on those flags in the EPG data.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
One thing that I liked about the Editorials screen was that it gave descriptions that were different from the episode description from the main EPG. Sometimes when trying to determine if a new show is worth recording, I like to read little more than I can get from just the episode description or the series info description.

Also this Editorials screen often had more than just season or series premieres. It sometimes includes specials that you might otherwise miss (like parades, award shows, holiday classics, etc.).

Hopefully the new replacement ENE mentioned above will provide similar functionality.

By the way, the Malore menus already include a Premiers/finales/specials screen. I have mine configured with 4 tabs for Series Premiers, Season Premiers, Finales, and Specials. This screen works pretty well, but it relies on the EPG data being accurate and complete. I've noticed that most shows I watch no longer bother marking series or season finale in their guide data. So there can be some holes, which is why it was nice having the Editorials screen, which didn't seem to rely on those flags in the EPG data.
From what I can tell, the best bets feed (Editorials) is based on a generalization of all TV viewers. What I did will be more specific to you and what you appear to like to watch. In a way it will be a little like intelligent recordings, but it should have different shows that might equally interest you.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Does that mean that you will be releasing a new build soon since you say it's working in the latest unreleased builds as I don't mind the new way you say it is working since I have my sagetv set to record new pilot episodes and other normal shows I like watching weekly.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Does that mean that you will be releasing a new build soon since you say it's working in the latest unreleased builds as I don't mind the new way you say it is working since I have my sagetv set to record new pilot episodes and other normal shows I like watching weekly.
It will be included in the next release build. I don't usually request them unless the thing I just put in is somewhat urgent for one reason or another.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It will be included in the next release build. I don't usually request them unless the thing I just put in is somewhat urgent for one reason or another.
Appreciate the reply and was just asking as no need to worry as I appreciate the reply.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
Appreciate the reply and was just asking as no need to worry as I appreciate the reply.
Sorry if I implied any tone in my response. It was not intentional. I'm just saying that the releases come when they come and I don't usually ask for one unless something really bad has been fixed.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry if I implied any tone in my response. It was not intentional. I'm just saying that the releases come when they come and I don't usually ask for one unless something really bad has been fixed.
I can push out a build on Saturday morning, if people want it. It's been a couple months, but I haven't noticed much activity, so I haven't put out any builds, and I don't want to put out builds if it includes partial features, etc. Just let me know, and I can push a build on Saturday.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I can push out a build on Saturday morning, if people want it. It's been a couple months, but I haven't noticed much activity, so I haven't put out any builds, and I don't want to put out builds if it includes partial features, etc. Just let me know, and I can push a build on Saturday.
I don't think we have anything that's a partial implementation in the main repo right now. There was a problem with some data being returned by SD for sports tracking, but that has not been determined to be something we are doing wrong so far. I know there are a few fixes in there that will interest some people such as the teams imported through SD were broken in the last release build and have been fixed.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I always love new builds but don't want you busting butt to get it out.

No offense Taken EnterNoEscape as I was just trying to make sure you knew that I don't need an update since I don't want you or Stuckless busting butt to get them out and can wait like all of us is what I was trying to say.

If you both get an update out that is up to you guys as make it a surprise so that way we appreciate them more when they do come out and not pressuring you guys to release and make you both feel not appreciated that you walk away in frustration as none of us want that.

Thanks for all you guys do and if you guys still have a tip jar now is the time to share it so I can send some tips to you as I did support one of the campaigns on indiegogo or kickstarter a person had about SageTV a while back and can't support in code but can help out by tips now and then
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just discovered that TV Show Editorials is back in some fashion. Am I limited to only 25 editorials at a time or is there a way to have it go on beyond this like it used to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Editorials.jpg (709.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukmandutty View Post
I just discovered that TV Show Editorials is back in some fashion. Am I limited to only 25 editorials at a time or is there a way to have it go on beyond this like it used to?
The limit is 50 by default. The number you got was just how many it was able to put together using the Schedule Direct suggestions for shows you have recorded and will be recording. You can up the limit by changing the value of sdepg_core/editorial/import_limit in Sage.properties, but in your case, you're unlikely to see more suggestions.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm a little confused. I just updated to v9.1.4.676 and added Schedules Direct. The Editorials have not changed or updated from v7.

Is there some action that I need to take?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
I'm a little confused. I just updated to v9.1.4.676 and added Schedules Direct. The Editorials have not changed or updated from v7.

Is there some action that I need to take?

Thanks!
No. They will either slowly disappear until you have nothing or they will gradually be replaced.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No. They will either slowly disappear until you have nothing or they will gradually be replaced.
Yeah for me, whatever had been retrieved previously using the old EPG data stayed visible for a couple weeks until everything in there was already in the past, at which point they disappeared. I haven't seen anything new appear since then - it's just been empty for me.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
They will either slowly disappear until you have nothing.
Quite a profound phrase that could apply to a lot of dire situations...retirement funds, memory, food rations, life support supplies, libido...

Seriously, thanks for the info. I hope the editorials do come back. I find them more useful than I had originally thought they'd be.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
Quite a profound phrase that could apply to a lot of dire situations...retirement funds, memory, food rations, life support supplies, libido...

Seriously, thanks for the info. I hope the editorials do come back. I find them more useful than I had originally thought they'd be.

Since they are based on if there are any recommendations we can get from Schedules Direct and you won't see anything that's already a favorite, there's a chance you won't see anything. It uses a combination of current recordings, scheduled recordings and will even use intelligent recordings if it doesn't get enough recommendations based on the first two.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:

Since they are based on if there are any recommendations we can get from Schedules Direct and you won't see anything that's already a favorite, there's a chance you won't see anything. It uses a combination of current recordings, scheduled recordings and will even use intelligent recordings if it doesn't get enough recommendations based on the first two.
Sounds smarter than me. Looking forward to seeing what it comes up with from my Three Stooges, History of Neptune, How to Shoe an Ox, and 12 Ways to Cook a Gopher recordings.

Thanks again.