SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Sage Expert

Please define " First Runs" and " Reruns"

At least how they pertain to SAGE.

When setting up favorites, does recording "First runs" mean first runs as reported by EPG data or as to whether or not I have watched a specific program or have it as "Set watched"???

I'm curious cause this effects a few things. Suppose I want to record "seinfeld" Well, since it's no longer in production, then they are all RE-RUNS so if I set SAGE to FIRST RUN, I'l never record an episode.

Or does this refer to the watched status of the prograqm?

Understand what I mean?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 07-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Administrator

"First Run" refers to the EPG data showing that it is the first showing of a show, or at least the first few showings in the week or so time frame when the show is first aired. (Some series' episodes are aired multiple times over the course of a week.) In your example, you would need to set Seinfeld to record reruns (or all airings) for it to record the ones you have not yet watching in SageTV.

"Watched" is completely different & pertains to whether you have watched a show in SageTV, or at least have marked it as watched. You could watch the first airing of a First Run on Monday & have it set as watched. If that show is repeated later in the week, it will be marked as Watched & will not be recorded again.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Sage Expert

Thats what I thought. Maybe this should be a feature request. It would be nice to have it work both ways. Seems pretty easy as the data is there, and SAGE seems to know WHAT I've watched already.

I'm gettinig bombarted with 30 episodes of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND every week!!

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 07-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
Thats what I thought. Maybe this should be a feature request. It would be nice to have it work both ways. Seems pretty easy as the data is there, and SAGE seems to know WHAT I've watched already.

I'm gettinig bombarted with 30 episodes of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND every week!!
?? I don't get what you mean: you can set up a fav to record first runs, reruns, or both. Then, as long as episodes have unique episode IDs (see the FAQ thread & search it for 'showid'), SageTV will only record the ones you haven't seen. Since you haven't used SageTV that long, this could still be quite a few episodes. You can hgave the fav only keep a certain number of episodes & delete the rest.

Finally, you could use the MlbDude2 or MalDude STVs and use the fav's "timeslot" feature to limit the favorite to record episodes that only fall within that 1 hour timeslot -- that will reduce the # of episodes recorded. I know you don't seem to want to use a custom STV, but they do have their advantages.

What feature are you still looking for?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Administrator

I saw your feature request to have a pop-up when video is done playing... how are you playing your videos? I always highlight a show to watch, use the Right command (or Info) to get to the recording details screen & watch from there. When the video is done, it returns me to the details screen, where all thosed options you are requesting are already available. But, if you simply click on a show to play it from the recording list screen, it should return there when it is done & again: you can go directly to the details screen from there to get those options.

Edit: Sorry, but what I wrote is wrong! At the end of the show, you are returned to the SageTV Recordings list, at least as of version 2.0.20.

Oh, the recording list may auto-resort & you won't have the same show highlighted when you return to that screen after playback... do what I do & always start playback from the details screen.

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 07-18-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I saw your feature request to have a pop-up when video is done playing... how are you playing your videos? I always highlight a show to watch, use the Right command (or Info) to get to the recording details screen & watch from there. When the video is done, it returns me to the details screen, where all thosed options you are requesting are already available. But, if you simply click on a show to play it from the recording list screen, it should return there when it is done & again: you can go directly to the details screen from there to get those options.

Oh, the recording list may auto-resort & you won't have the same show highlighted when you return to that screen after playback... do what I do & always start playback from the details screen.

- Andy
I just tried that, and my system returns me to the main SAGETV RECORDINGS list, so I have to select and get the info again. That would be perfect if it worked that way for me. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just tried that, and my system returns me to the main SAGETV RECORDINGS list, so I have to select and get the info again. That would be perfect if it worked that way for me. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
It looks like I'm going to have to kick myself for this one, since no one else has yet -- I was wrong. I thought that was what happened, but I must be using the Back command on every show before it gets all the way to the end... and, since I started playback on the Recording Details screen, that is where Back returns me. Personally, I think it should return you to your previous menu when the show is done.

So, your current problem is that it returns you to the list of recordings & I'll bet it is using Intelligent sorting, which will put the watched shows at the end of the list, so you aren't returned to the list with the same show highlighted -- right? Perhaps try a differnt sorting style & you should at least be returned to the list with the just-watched show highlighted. Or, use Back before the show ends -- but you'll have to remember to mark it as watched. (I added the Watched command to the playback screen & set it there before using Back.)

Sorry for the mis-statement in my previous post!

- Andy
Old 07-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Sage Expert

Thought I was going crazy~

I forgot about sorting the list, your right, it moves the watched show to the bottom of the list, I forgot I can adjust that. I'll try a new sorting to see if it helps.

It still would be nice if it would pop up a small window (a "mini" info screen) at the end before goingback to the main listing!

As far as my FIRST-RUN vs RERUN issue....I think your correct. As I have just started to use it, I'm getting bombarded with shows. As I watch them, or set them as watched, and delete them, hopefully they will not show up again. The only control I need is that I wish it would only record ONE episode of the same, reguardless of watched status. I get the same episode recorded 2-4 times, either at different times or different stations. An option to allow this or deny this would be good.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The only control I need is that I wish it would only record ONE episode of the same, reguardless of watched status. I get the same episode recorded 2-4 times, either at different times or different stations. An option to allow this or deny this would be good.
See this FAQ entry, which dicusses SageTV's use of the ShowID to determine whether to record a show. It sounds like those episodes don't have unique IDs -- that is a guide provider problem that SageTV can do nothing about, since it can only work with the data it receives.

Again, though, as I mentioned above, you could use the favorite Timeslot feature, available in either the MlbDude2 or MalDude STVs. That will limit when the show can be recorded.

- Andy