SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help with V9 over V7

FIXED: 4/25/2017 4.44pm see end of thread:

I need help troubleshooting install. Did the install yesterday over V7. Everything went fine with the installer and V9 came up no problem. I run as a client and the service started fine although I did notice the extended delay on the SageTV splash screen as others have noted. All my recordings were there and played, EPG was intact (waiting for a good install before the switch to SD). All functions were working in Detailed Setup.

I went to play Live TV to check channel changing (I use a serial setup to DirecTV box) and all hell broke loose. Upon trying to tune a channel, I got the SageTV has lost service...waiting for service to be reestablished. Go back to main screen and the TV is not there. Videos, Music, etc. is there but no TV. If I go to Setup >Detailed Setup>Server all the configuration options are gone.

Bringing up service control the service is still enabled and started with LocalSystem.

Any ideas? I'm running Phoenix core services for the metadata. Gemstone is installed but not enabled. Java is V6 b10.
I'm back to V7 (I'm obsessive about backups) but need some ideas on where to start troubleshooting this install.
Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by markds; 04-25-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

v9 requires java 7 at minimum. Phoenix core services requires java 8.

May not be your issue but you should upgrade java. The windows installer should have installed java 7 at least.

k
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Day 2 no luck

So I uninstalled the Gemstone plugin. I uninstalled Java v6 b10. Rebooted and installed SageTV v9 over v7. SageTV v9 installed Java v7. Opened Service Control and was set correctly and service running. Checked with Win7 services module and Sage running as service. Opened SageTV 9 and it opened correctly. Same as yesterday, played recordings. As soon as I tried to tune a LIVE channel from the program listings the service would drop and I would get the message service had stopped waiting for reconnect. Toggled to main page of SageTV and TV again is missing. Toggle to Detailed Setup and all options missing from Server configuration.

Tried doing different sign-ins with Service Control: LocalSystem and my UserAccount. Same results.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking the only thing left to do is a wipe of SageTV7 and fresh install of V9 and then rebuild (yuck) if it works, or stay in V7 and use the v7 SD plugin.

HELP!

edit 2.38pm pacific Ok, I am back to v7 with Java8 and everything is good again. I can't figure out what is causing the service to drop when tuning into a live watch. I am running DirMon as a service for comskip, but I even stopped the DirMon service for the install of v9.

Does anyone know if I can run v9 concurrent with v7 if I place it in a separate directory and even separate hdd if necessary?

And Will the SDirect plugin still work for v7? Is there anything elese I need to get it going in 7? I really don't want to go that route but if the fresh install don't work or if I can't figure this service problem out in the next 2 months it might be my only choice.

Last edited by markds; 04-24-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly with how easy it is to get sagetv up and running I'd just copy your wiz bin and start all over again. With the amount of effort you've already put in you could already be done.

I had to do it when I moved to the docker version of sagetv and it wasn't difficult at all. My sage install had been running for about 6 or 7 years before I did that.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm in the boonies and I'm lucky my DirecTV still works, amazing how much Doug Firs in a forest can grow in 30 years. So, I have a legacy DirecTV box that I connect with a serial cable (Prolific chip) in order to tune channels. That cable setup with RCA to SVideo hookup is very fussy and doesn't like me much, it's always a full day ordeal in setting up Sage from scratch. I'd really like to avoid screwing with the DTV box again.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage Icon

Well, if you could post your logs from when the problem occurs, someone might be able to figure out what's happening.

My guess is some sort of conflict with an old plugin that's not 100% compatible.

If it were me, I'd try to get a plain vanilla install working first before playing with any plugins.

Also, I'd try playing back an existing recording first to make sure playback works before trying to watch live tv.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

yup, that's my plan tomorrow. Uninstall all plugins and try a v9 install over a plain vanilla v7. I thought it was a java thing and that's why todays plan was to get a clean java v8 in there and try, but no luck.

Recordings play just fine.
And I'll remember to turn the logging on.
Thanks.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markds View Post
yup, that's my plan tomorrow. Uninstall all plugins and try a v9 install over a plain vanilla v7. I thought it was a java thing and that's why todays plan was to get a clean java v8 in there and try, but no luck.

Recordings play just fine.
And I'll remember to turn the logging on.
Thanks.
Logging should already be on in the later versions of V9.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage

And if there's any hs_err_pid_xxx.log files created in the SageTV folder, post those as well (since SageTV is actually dying, which generally doesn't occur from a Java level crash).
Old 04-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

FIXED

I did another attempt at a v9 install this afternoon and had a positive result. Don't know exactly how it happened because after the install it still exhibited the same behavior of knocking the server out. So on a whim I took all the files of v7 except for the v9 .exe's and muscle schupted them into the SageTV v9 directory, rebooted and magic, all is working as should now. In this instance I don't care about the why anymore, just the end result. Hoping to get the SD plugin setup over the weekend if the PNW weather won't allow me to do the first cut on the lawn in the forest.

Thanks to all who pointed me to some idea on this install.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage

If you took all the files from V7 except the EXE...then I would expect that you are still running SageTV V7 (since the Sage.jar file determines the version). Check what version it says it is in System Information.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's the thing, I don't get it.. Splash says v9. Setup:System Status: Software Version: SageTV V9.0.14.568.

/JARs show lucene-core-3.60.jar, and packager.jar :file date 9/24/2016.

No other /JARs directory nor /JREs.

In Plugins the most recent SD plugin show compatible, old show not.

It doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas. Logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_1.zip (477.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (242.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage

From the logs, you are running V9...so if it's all working fine now, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Jeff. Yes, that is my attitude. It's working, it's v9, I'm not going to worry how I got there. Have a great weekend.