SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge tuner card listed as Sumsung

Hi Group,
I am working on setting up SageTV Open Source on a Linux box.
I have made some great strides in getting things setup and working.
The one thing that is puzzling / problematic to me is how my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 card is showing up. It is listed as "Digital Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend 0000@03@00.0-0QAM" It does appear to be working properly.
What I am trying to do is use 49studebaker's "Import/Export" plugin to get the channel mapping from my old V7.x setup into this new V9.x setup.
But, the name of the tuner has an "/" in it and it won't work unless the name matches exactly. (Illegal character "/")
I'm not sure why my card has this odd/different name or where it comes from and can be tweaked or changed.
Does anybody have any thought on how to get around this so the import/export plugin will work?
Thanks...
Scott

[EDIT:] I see from some additional research that Samsung makes a decoder chip that is in use on this card, hence "Samsung" in part of the name.
I am still wondering if the name can be changed/tweaked somehow - somewhere, either in SageTV or a Linux driver to get rid of the "/".

[EDIT:] I was able to HEX edit a Linux kernel module for the tuner card to change the "/" to a "-". See more detail below.

Last edited by SVinzant; 05-01-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Updated info RE: Edited the .ko file to have a - instead of a /.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 AM

Keep in mind that Windows and Linux are diff layout
You can't unless you modify the drivers
Old 05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Understood that Windows and Linux are different.
I need to know how or where or who to talk to about getting the "/" out of the name of the card.
Or shorten the name somehow.
Scott
Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Seems like the right solution would be to get the plugin changed to handle the forward slash. That probably won't happen in the timeframe that you are looking for, however.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I am wondering is you could edit the name in the Sage.properties file to get rid of the /.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Sage User

I don't think that the "/" is coming from the Sage.Properties file.

I DID find a Linux kernel module for the tuner card and made an edit with a HEX editor to change the "/" to a "-".
It is now showing up with the dash in the tuner name.
So, that part worked.

NOW I can't seem to get the Import/Export tool to work properly.
It's not exporting the current lineup or importing my older lineup file that I am try to bring over.

I thought it might be a permissions thing in Linux, but after giving the /opt (and all folders below Read/Write permission, it is still not working.
I am assuming I did it correctly.

Still playing / learning here.
If anybody has any other ideas about the Import/Export tool, please let me know.

Thanks again...
Scott
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Sage

I'm not sure why the import/export tool would even be using capture device names. The only link between capture devices and lineups is the provider ID, which is just a number.

I'd just do the export/import manually. Just copy all of the entries under epg_data_sources from the old properties file to the new one. If you already configured it for that provider, then the capture devices should already have that provider id linked into them and then it should just work. Of course backup your Sage.properties file before you do this in case I missed something else that I'm not thinking of.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

It has been several years since I wrote the plugin. Just like all other SageTV plugins, my plugin can be modified in SageTV Studio. I modified my plugin to replace / with - . I am not sure if this will fix the problem.

Download the attached plugin.
Put the downloaded plugin in the SageTV/SageTV/STVs/SageTV7 folder.
Disable the Import/Export plugin in the Plugin Manager.
Go to Setup, Detailed Setup, Advanced, and select Import UI Modifications (.stvi File)
Attached Files
File Type: stvi ImportExportChannelLineupNew.stvi (336.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies Narflex and 49studebaker!
I am a bit sidetracked this week with outside projects.
I should be able to circle back around to this in a week (or less, I hope) and will report back my findings of what I discover.
Scott
Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Sage User

ImportExportChannelLineup Plugin

Current System: WINXP, SageTV v.7.x, Path to .exe = C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\
Test System: Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS, SageTV v.9.x, Path to .jar = /opt/sagetv/server/

On my Current System, the ImportExport plugin seems to work fine.
Choosing "Export" creates a file with the name of my tuner card (as listed in the "Sources" section) and has the proper data contained within.
Choosing "Import" (No existing *.import file) creates a file with the name of my tuner card and has the notations and base level data as designed.
As you can see in ScreenShot-01, the filename and path statement is functioning correctly.

On the Linux test system, the driver file (s5h1409.ko) for the tuner card has a forward (/) slash as part of the name of the tuner device; "Digital Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend".
I have verified that the Import/Export plugin does NOT work with this particular driver as the "/" is preventing the file system from creating the <tuner_name>.export or <tuner_name>.import files.
Please see Screenshot-02 for the details of how the tuner card is named.

I have used a Hex editor to change the "/" to a "-" in the Linux driver file for my tuner card.
After this change (and a reboot), I can now see tuner card showing up as a selection to install with the "-" in the name.
Additionally, the creation of the <tuner_name>.export and <tuner_name>.import files is working. (sort of...)

BUT!....

If you look closely at Screenshot-03, you will see that the path statement (where the file can be found) is listed as /opt/sagetv/server\
That trailing back (\) slash is causing the issues with the plugin not working.

The actual filenames that are showing up are: "server\Digital Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend 0000@03@00.0-0-QAM.[export|import]"
Please see Screenshot-04 for the detail.

The filename has the word "server" where it should actually be stored in the location as "/opt/sagetv/server/Digital Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend 0000@03@00.0-0-QAM.[export|import]"

NEXT STEPS:

49Studebaker, I would like to thank you for taking the time to tweak the .STVi file with the "/" to "-" change, but in this case, I don't think it will help or work as this appears to be more of a file system issue.
(Could it also be a Java path issue???)
That being said, would you be willing to take a bit of a deeper dive into the inner workings of your plugin to see what issues might be causing the "\" to show up in the filename of the resulting .import/.export files?
I'm not familiar with SageTV Studio enough to start digging into it to see if I can solve it myself.

It would also be good to hear from anybody else that may be trying to use the ImportExportChannelLineup plugin if they are having a similar experience to myself on a Linux system.

And as always, if anybody has any other thoughts or ideas to try, please don't hesitate to reply here.
Thanks!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot-01.jpg (504.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot-02.jpg (206.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot-03.jpg (552.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot-04.jpg (369.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage

If you want to post your old Sage.properties file and your new one, I can post you the updated properties file with the lineups copied. It's easy for me to do it. Just tell me the mapping between the capture device names in the properties file since I don't think I'll know them between different operating systems.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage User

Narflex,
Sorry, it has taken me a bit to get back to you, lots going on around here.

I have finely moved forward and built a dedicated Linux box with new drives for my SageTV setup.

As you mentioned above, I am hoping you can "fix" my new Sage.properties file to have my old channel lineup in it.

Attached are the old and new Sage.properties files.
I'm not totally sure what info you need.

The OLD tuner was called "Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture".

The NEW tuner is called "Digital Samsung S5H1409 QAM-8VSB Frontend 0000\:04\:00.0"

I have also switched to Schedules Direct for EPG data in my new setup.

I am also attaching the "exported" channel lineup from 49studebaker's plugin from my old (working) setup.

If you need additional details, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thank you!
Scott
Attached Files
File Type: txt OLD-Sage.properties.txt (303.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: txt Hauppauge WinTV 418 TS Capture-0-QAM.export.txt (6.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: txt NEW-Sage.properties.txt (36.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage User

Narflex,
I think I got it all sorted out.
My channels all seem to be set up and tuning correctly.
I have just a couple of channels that I need to deal with manually.

Now I need to figure out ComSkip under Linux (hopefully without using WINE).

Thanks again...
Scott
Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage

You don't need wine to run comskip under Linux...I do it without using Wine. There's a comskip binary built for Linux in the Docker container that many people are using....and likely other ways to get it too.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
You don't need wine to run comskip under Linux...I do it without using Wine. There's a comskip binary built for Linux in the Docker container that many people are using....and likely other ways to get it too.
Here's the binary
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...base/comskip.d

There's also containers in that repo that can be used to rebuild comskip from the latest sources.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Sage User

Stuckless,
Thanks for the link.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I download or use Comskip in this "Linux" format?
Is it a daemon?
What ensures that it runs and does it's job?
(I have enough Linux knowledge to be dangerous)
I am not sure what a "docker" is. I set up a Linux server and used a script to get SageTV set up and mostly running.
I do think I have Comskip running under Wine. But if I could get it running without Wine, that would be even better.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott