SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

No recordings being scheduled because tuners were not functioning

SageTV has been working find for a while now, but suddenly I'm having an issue where nothing is being scheduled to record. I first noticed this over the weekend, but figured that nothing much was airing. I went to check this morning, but I found that the entire recording schedule is blank! I checked the EPG and it's populating normally by what I can tell on my phone screen, but then when I go back to the schedule, it's definitely blank. I have three functioning, active tuners, so not sure what the issue might be. I even tried to manually mark something to record via the web interface and.... nothing. Nothing is on the schedule whatsoever. So I happen to pop over to the video sources and the HDHR tuners are all look ok, until I go into the deeper settings and see that it's saying "not functioning" for the tuners. Turns out OpenDCT wasn't running for some reason and that caused the issue...

Anyway, TLDR; Shouldn't SageTV have sent out a system message saying something about tuners not functioning?

Anyone have any tips for checking to see if OpenDCT is running, or automatically restarting it if it goes down?

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 05-09-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage Icon

Just curious, did this happen after a reboot? My Win8 machine couldn't tune whenever I'd do a reboot. I finally tracked it down to SageDCT (older than openDCT, but still did the tuning).
For whatever reason there was a timing issue and on a reboot SageDCT was running, but SageTV somehow either didn't know about it, or couldn't communicate with it.
I would go into the control program for SageDCT and simply stop and restart the service and it would then tune just fine.

I finally resolved the issue by going into Windows services and setting SageDCT to delayed start. Never had an issue like that again on reboots.

I would see error messages in the system messages for all the failed recordings though. Since you are using OpenDCT you may want to post in that topic. They are a very helpful bunch and can probably find out why it wasn't running.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Just curious, did this happen after a reboot? My Win8 machine couldn't tune whenever I'd do a reboot. I finally tracked it down to SageDCT (older than openDCT, but still did the tuning).
For whatever reason there was a timing issue and on a reboot SageDCT was running, but SageTV somehow either didn't know about it, or couldn't communicate with it.
I would go into the control program for SageDCT and simply stop and restart the service and it would then tune just fine.

I finally resolved the issue by going into Windows services and setting SageDCT to delayed start. Never had an issue like that again on reboots.

I would see error messages in the system messages for all the failed recordings though. Since you are using OpenDCT you may want to post in that topic. They are a very helpful bunch and can probably find out why it wasn't running.
I'm pretty sure it hadn't rebooted, which is the funny part. Just found that the service wasn't running - so when I started that, Sage picked it up just fine and scheduled a bunch of recordings almost immediately.

You bring up a good point about OpenDCT, just figured it would be nice if sage kicked up a message if a tuner was set to not functioning - it would have saved me some time for sure. Hopefully the logs haven't been overwritten since it was shut down...
Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

I've seen this problem occasionally with SageDCT too. In my case it worked flawlessly for probably a year, then out of the blue it started having issues where it wouldn't start properly after a reboot (some sort of timing issue I guess where The Sage service started before SageDCT was ready?). This would happen randomly, but frequently (maybe 30% of the time). It went on like this for a couple months and then no more problems for another year or so. I never figured out what caused the timing issue or what resolved it (maybe a Windows update or some other software update?).

Still I am now in the habit whenever I restart Sage the first thing I do is go to the info screen and check status on all tuners to make sure all are listed as functioning.

I also had a similar problem with a completely different cause. I had the SageDCT service quit without warning and take the tuners offline. That turned out to be caused by running out of space on my boot disk. Replacing with a larger drive stopped that.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Still I am now in the habit whenever I restart Sage the first thing I do is go to the info screen and check status on all tuners to make sure all are listed as functioning.
Hm... You know, I'm wondering if there's a way to have SJQ check to see if the tuners are marked functioning and if they're not, trigger a restart of the service... Unfortunately, something like that would be beyond my skillset, I'd have to poke around and see if it's even possible.