SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Any chance ijkplayer will get Dolby Digital passthrough or have you given up on that?
I don't expect to happen. There's nothing I can do to make it happen. My hope is that exoplayer gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed, maybe I'm searching for the wrong term -
with the Android Mini Client, how can you select a channel directly, i.e. type in the number, for example 1200, and go to that channel? With 1,000's of channels, swiping up seems pointless.
Surely there's a way to just type in the channel and I can't figure it out?
Thanks
If you bring up the android keyboard then I would expect that you could do that.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't expect to happen. There's nothing I can do to make it happen. My hope is that exoplayer gets better.
Alright, but Exoplayer plays MPEG2 TS files recorded in other programs just fine but for some reason still chokes on my Sage MPEG2 PS recordings (plays for 2 seconds, then freezes for 2 seconds, plays for 2 seconds, ...). Has anyone been able to get solid playback for MPEG2 PS with ExoPlayer?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Alright, but Exoplayer plays MPEG2 TS files recorded in other programs just fine but for some reason still chokes on my Sage MPEG2 PS recordings (plays for 2 seconds, then freezes for 2 seconds, plays for 2 seconds, ...). Has anyone been able to get solid playback for MPEG2 PS with ExoPlayer?
This is the reason I use OpenDCT to transcode everything to mpeg4. Problem solved with very little overhead.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Connecting from OUTSIDE the lan

Connecting within the LAN, DANDY, not so outside.

It appears port 31099 is where it's coming in on, so just to be sure, forwarded that to the server, but fails.

Anyone done this?
Tips?
Ideas?
Curses?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
2 HD-100 Placeshifters - not connected.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
Connecting within the LAN, DANDY, not so outside.

It appears port 31099 is where it's coming in on, so just to be sure, forwarded that to the server, but fails.

Anyone done this?
Tips?
Ideas?
Curses?
How does it fail? Do you see the connection in the logs? I use this quite a bit and just had to forward the port to get it working.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
How does it fail? Do you see the connection in the logs? I use this quite a bit and just had to forward the port to get it working.
What did you forward? It simply fails after xxxxxxx ms.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
What did you forward? It simply fails after xxxxxxx ms.
TCP port 31099.

Are you using an IP address/locator ID/DNS name for your connection? You can't use the auto-populated server entry from your LAN.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
TCP port 31099.

Are you using an IP address/locator ID/DNS name for your connection? You can't use the auto-populated server entry from your LAN.
Naw, a fixed IP of the server.

Let me ... um, here's what I doning as a tsdt:

Tge 'server' (a single computer), on the LAN and the Tablet on a VPN, then circling back to my WAN IP.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Naw, a fixed IP of the server.

Let me ... um, here's what I doning as a tsdt:

Tge 'server' (a single computer), on the LAN and the Tablet on a VPN, then circling back to my WAN IP.
What do you mean that the tablet is on a VPN? Are you making a VPN connection to your home network? If so, try using the LAN IP of the server for your connection.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Sage Expert

Does the miniclient have support for SageTV, WMC or other remotes via the built-in IR receiver on (for example) NV's Shield? If not, how about using USB MCE/WMC receivers (supported in Linux Kernels (MCEUSB)) with WMC (or other) codes?

I know it supports FLIRC, but that's a keyboard emulator I'm not interested in.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 10-17-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Does the miniclient have support for SageTV, WMC or other remotes via the built-in IR receiver on (for example) NV's Shield? If not, how about using USB MCE/WMC receivers (supported in Linux Kernels (MCEUSB)) with WMC (or other) codes?

I know it supports FLIRC, but that's a keyboard emulator I'm not interested in.
The mini client accepts keyboard commands (what I do with my Harmony) but the actual Android TV device doesn't recognize the MCE USB adapters. At least the two I have didn't work.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen too many people posting results, but the sheer lack of anyone actively discussing it lead me to believe they weren't working. Shame and strange at the same time, since all the code for it is already in a basic linux install.

Original Shield has an IR receiver but I also haven't found evidence of at least headers or a way to wire one into the new logic board. No one talking about this either.

Right now it looks like the only solution may be keyboard emulation with my URC controller (works with my URC MX-980 remote) or with a Flirc. Then in addition, installing a custom keyboard mapping via software to try and cover some of the shortcomings in default key bindings for the base system and general app use.

For Sage, I expect the smoothest sailing because almost everything can be redefined within the app itself.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Sage User

I hate to say this but my smoothest control has been via a harmony remote via bluetooth/wifi. I need to fix a few button mappings but it just works...

Hate working with Harmony but it works...
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

I wont step down to a Harmony remote for any reason. Already been through a few of them and not interested to step there again.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
What do you mean that the tablet is on a VPN? Are you making a VPN connection to your home network? If so, try using the LAN IP of the server for your connection.
BOY that sounded/read HORRIBLE. That's a tablet alright ....

The one Sagetv machine is on the lan, as is the tablet. THAT connection works. Same subnet. Now if I use a VPN on the tablet, giving me me an "outside" IP, that does not work.
Basically a phones data connection to my WAN's IP, then into the LAN, then into the Sagetv w/s.
Basically on those rare occasions when I'm in a hotel room, getting into my shows.

I know the last bit probably confused everything ....
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Basically on those rare occasions when I'm in a hotel room, getting into my shows.
I know how I'm planning to handle it. Pointing Plex Server at my recording folders. Then the shows just show up in Plex with everything else that's already outside of SageTV.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
BOY that sounded/read HORRIBLE. That's a tablet alright ....

The one Sagetv machine is on the lan, as is the tablet. THAT connection works. Same subnet. Now if I use a VPN on the tablet, giving me me an "outside" IP, that does not work.
Basically a phones data connection to my WAN's IP, then into the LAN, then into the Sagetv w/s.

I know the last bit probably confused everything ....
Well, I'm in a hotel right now and what I do is:

* Placeshifter on my tablet points to my WAN IP
* Firewall / Router for my home network passes TCP port 31099 to the LAN IP of my SageTV server

Now, for giggles, I opened a VPN connection to my home network from my tablet and tried again. This time I could connect to the entry with my WAN IP as well as the entry with the LAN IP.

I'm using OpenVPN and set it to tunnel all traffic through my LAN, (to get around pesky regional settings when overseas). But I would expect it to work with split tunneling as well.

Not helpful for you, but it can work. Maybe try taking your tablet to a place with a WiFi hotspot and see if you can connect from there? I'm still not clear on your use of the VPN.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen too many people posting results, but the sheer lack of anyone actively discussing it lead me to believe they weren't working. Shame and strange at the same time, since all the code for it is already in a basic linux install.

Original Shield has an IR receiver but I also haven't found evidence of at least headers or a way to wire one into the new logic board. No one talking about this either.

Right now it looks like the only solution may be keyboard emulation with my URC controller (works with my URC MX-980 remote) or with a Flirc. Then in addition, installing a custom keyboard mapping via software to try and cover some of the shortcomings in default key bindings for the base system and general app use.

For Sage, I expect the smoothest sailing because almost everything can be redefined within the app itself.
Keyboard emulation should work just fine. That's all my harmony does, just bluetooth and IR as opposed to just IR. Either way should be just fine.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Well, I'm in a hotel right now and what I do is:

* Placeshifter on my tablet points to my WAN IP
The mini-client? So that we're talking apples and apples?

Quote:
* Firewall / Router for my home network passes TCP port 31099 to the LAN IP of my SageTV server
Here too.

Quote:
Now, for giggles, I opened a VPN connection to my home network from my tablet and tried again. This time I could connect to the entry with my WAN IP as well as the entry with the LAN IP.

I'm using OpenVPN and set it to tunnel all traffic through my LAN, (to get around pesky regional settings when overseas). But I would expect it to work with split tunneling as well.
You are doing exactly what I want to do. I used openvpn as you did, then opened the mini client, had my WAN IP in and it times out.

Quote:
Not helpful for you, but it can work. Maybe try taking your tablet to a place with a WiFi hotspot and see if you can connect from there? I'm still not clear on your use of the VPN.
I'm sitting in my living room staring at the HTPC. It's on and I have a tablet in my hands connected to the home LAN. I use the VPN to give me a different IP then my "standard" IP from the ISP. Make more sense?

BUT, never the less I'm trying to do exactly what are/were doing and can not.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 11-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The mini-client? So that we're talking apples and apples?
Yes, mini-client == Placeshifter to me. If you are on your LAN and try to hit your WAN IP from the tablet does it work?

If on the VPN and you try to hit your LAN IP from the tablet does it work?

I'm still not sure why you want to use the VPN for the mini-client if you're doing port forwarding. I don't use the VPN when doing the mini-client/Placeshifter remotely. I only use the VPN to do things like remote desktop to my home PC or HTTP to my unRAID servers, i.e. things I don't want to open up to the Internet...