SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

How to prevent automatic list cleanup?

I store my Sage files on another machine on the network. Lately I've noticed that Sage appears to be removing entries from the list of recorded shows. I think this is because power outages have caused the remote computer not to be on when Sage is running, so Sage thinks I've deleted the files. Is there some way to prevent Sage from automatically cleaning up the recorded shows list?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is the second time I've heard of this recently. There was another recent thread about this type of thing. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional behavior. Are the files actually being erased? That's what the other person who had this problem reported. If you email Sage for technical support and find out anything, I would like to know what you find out because, even though I haven't had this problem, I would want to try to prevent things being erased.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yes, there's another thread regarding this subject, and I find that one rather illogical also to some extent.

To use a network storage device is similar to using a network file server. That machine MUST always be there! It can not come and go.

If it did, here only a few things that might happen if a file is being sent to it for storage... file not closed out properly, missing endpoint, file wasting space but showing a 0 byte filesize, file deleted since it was not fully transferred, etc.

On the other side of things, since SageTV keeps its data base of what files were stored on the same machine that it is running on.... if that network device is not there later it can assume the files were deleted by some other means and therefor remove them from its database.

As such, the network storage device MUST always be there... meaning it has to have a battery backup, be in a protected area where nobody can turn it of (especially kids), preferably have a fixed IP, and to make sure the network link never goes down have the router (or in this case preferrably a Hub) also on the same battery backup.

CLEARLY, the easier way of doing things is to simply put SageTV on the machine with the largest amount of storage, or to put larger hard drives in the machine that SageTV is running.

From there, client machines can access whatever they need to play back and can come and go whenever.

Quite honestly, I have no idea why so many people want to do this network stuff backwards. No network administrator would ever set things up that way.

No disrepect for anyone or the unknowing here. Just trying to point out that things just won't work right when set up that way unless the storage device is ALWAYS there. Think that should be simple enough to understand.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by mls
On the other side of things, since SageTV keeps its data base of what files were stored on the same machine that it is running on.... if that network device is not there later it can assume the files were deleted by some other means and therefor remove them from its database.
That's exactly what I think is happening.

Quote:
CLEARLY, the easier way of doing things is to simply put SageTV on the machine with the largest amount of storage, or to put larger hard drives in the machine that SageTV is running.
There are lots of good reasons to do things this way. For example, my machine with Sage is an HTPC with limited hard drive space. My network machine is a file server with 6 hard drives in it. If I wanted to, I could also do RAID on my file server, but I can't on my HTPC.

Quote:
Quite honestly, I have no idea why so many people want to do this network stuff backwards. No network administrator would ever set things up that way.
Actually, in most organizations NFS access to a remote file server is exactly how things are set up. Among other things, it makes backups a lot easier.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by coppit

Actually, in most organizations NFS access to a remote file server is exactly how things are set up. Among other things, it makes backups a lot easier.
Yes, but as I pointed out the file server is set up to ALWAYS be there (on-line) and the clients can come and go.

Your setup seems to indicate that the client would always be there, while the file server comes and goes. That's what I mean about being set up backwards.