SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Sage User

Android Mini Client on Oreo

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but since updating to Android 8 SageTV MiniClient has been unuseable. When going to all recordings only one item is displayed even though there should be multiple. After finding what you want to watch, the video is very distorted. Images to show what is happening are attached. Everything worked fine before the upgrade for me. Is this a Google bug or does something need to change in SageTV?

https://imgur.com/a/x7ssV
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCS View Post
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but since updating to Android 8 SageTV MiniClient has been unuseable. When going to all recordings only one item is displayed even though there should be multiple. After finding what you want to watch, the video is very distorted. Images to show what is happening are attached. Everything worked fine before the upgrade for me. Is this a Google bug or does something need to change in SageTV?

https://imgur.com/a/x7ssV
I haven't played with oreo, yet, but I suspect that google has changed some things and now this isn't working

Have you tried clearing app cache?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Sage User

Yeah, cleared all data hoping that would fix it but no change.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 AM
SageTVaholic

with the UI being composited on the server, I'm curious what sort of android change could cause just a single item to be displayed in the list.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
with the UI being composited on the server, I'm curious what sort of android change could cause just a single item to be displayed in the list.
i agree, it's unlike Oreo changes the content of what is being shown, but, there may be glitches in the GL layer (combined with bugs in the code) where it's showing the wrong artifacts.

interestingly enough google pushed Oreo to me last night, so, I'll see if I can get some time this weekend to validate things.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Sage User

Oreo definitely breaks the miniclient I wish I would have seen this post before allowing the update. Now I need to figure out how to downgrade my Nexus. Curiously, my Firestick with the latest updates works better with the miniclient.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayto View Post
Oreo definitely breaks the miniclient I wish I would have seen this post before allowing the update. Now I need to figure out how to downgrade my Nexus. Curiously, my Firestick with the latest updates works better with the miniclient.
Any information on "breaks". I can't work with "breaks" and attempt to fix it, unless I can understand what you are thinking is broken. Certainly the original post, looked like an issue on the server... but not sure that was ever determined.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Sage User

Sorry, for the cryptic bug report. As old as this thread is I thought you had had time to experiment with it. The Program Guide displays very erratically showing nothing at first then displaying different bits and pieces of the guide as you scroll up and down. The recordings menu is the same way showing nothing on the screen when first selected then displaying different pieces of the page when you scroll around the menu. I will try to get some pictures posted this weekend showing this. This bug is the same whether using sageTVv9 or Gemstone. Pheonix is worse it will not display anything in the menus at all.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayto View Post
Sorry, for the cryptic bug report. As old as this thread is I thought you had had time to experiment with it. The Program Guide displays very erratically showing nothing at first then displaying different bits and pieces of the guide as you scroll up and down. The recordings menu is the same way showing nothing on the screen when first selected then displaying different pieces of the page when you scroll around the menu. I will try to get some pictures posted this weekend showing this. This bug is the same whether using sageTVv9 or Gemstone. Pheonix is worse it will not display anything in the menus at all.
To be honest, I do have Oreo on my phone, right now, but I've never actually opened the miniclient on my phone

I may have some time this weekend to look at the miniclient... I've been wanting to get a build out with a newer ExoPlayer, IJKPlayer, and compiled again newer android libraries, etc. Hopefully I can find time to do this, and test why Oreo may be causing display issues.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Sage User

Did anyone find a resolution or workaround to the oreo issues? It's still a problem on my nexus players.

Thank you for the excellent work and support.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 PM
Sage User

With Nvidia Shield and MiBox both receiving Oreo updates recently, does this issue still exist?

I'm expecting it will
Old 06-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would like to know this as well. My Nvidia ShieldTV just got pushed the Andriod 8.0 update. I declined it until I know if this issue is fixed. It wouldn't be good for the wife to have to deal with those issues.

Thanks for any update!
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

well, here is some good news with Oreo on the shield.

first, after installation it asked me to choose a wifi connection but failed at each attempt to connect.............so i hit the back button a few times, and when i went forward ("continue") again,
the problem was gone.

also, after installation of Oreo and upgrade of remote, i was able to open sage client and see all my files. however, when i played a tv program recorded with sage, i could not fast forward at all.
the pointer moved forward, then went back to where it had been.
when i played torrented files, the fast forward worked as expected........strange, went back and forth and it was consistent.

then i did a restart (twice) on the shield and the problem went away

so my suggestion is to do a couple of shield restarts and see if your problem(s) go(es) away.

the other thing i can suggest is to uninstall and re-install sagetv client, but i'd go with the restarts first.
good luck!

Last edited by cat6man; 06-27-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Sage User

Thanks Cat6man,
what STV are you using that worked? I was playing around with Nexus Player Oreo tonight . Did a factory reset and still the same issues.
The sage7 standard stv works was my discovery but Gemstone and Diamond still have the issues. Didn't test Phoenix this time but believe it has the same issues.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Shield updated tonight, and I can confirm behaviour is quirky. It seems that anything involving a list of items (Recorded TV, favorites, etc.) does not display...I just get a blank grey screen . Menu navigation works fine though. This is with Gemstone.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisch View Post
Thanks Cat6man,
what STV are you using that worked? I was playing around with Nexus Player Oreo tonight . Did a factory reset and still the same issues.
The sage7 standard stv works was my discovery but Gemstone and Diamond still have the issues. Didn't test Phoenix this time but believe it has the same issues.
i only use standard STV and am having no issues now.

by the way, if i don't care about fancy images, only basic functionality, do the other STV have any advantages i'm missing out on? never have even looked at them............

Last edited by cat6man; 06-27-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post

I may have some time this weekend to look at the miniclient... I've been wanting to get a build out with a newer ExoPlayer, IJKPlayer, and compiled again newer android libraries, etc. Hopefully I can find time to do this
bless you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

So I got some screenshots. I have gemstone running on mine. I tried to get logs but even though I had it to log to a file, no log materialized anywhere so I'm not sure what I did wrong there.

Also, apparently, Google in their infinite wisdom killed the screenshot tool, so I had to take pictures with my phone. The screenshots are mostly self explanatory, with the exception that the only item visible is usually the last item selected, except in the menus. Note in the first that the toolbars at top and bottom are missing. Also, I fortunately, haven't had issues with video playback itself (ironically, it seems to actually be a bit better than it used to be)

main screen

TV menu

options menu

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 06-28-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixed image links
Old 06-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Images though not as pretty are consistent with my obervations after upgrade.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, I finally got the Android 8 update (Shield)... and I have to say, this is not good. Android appears to throw errors loading the various images from the server (and everything is an image in sagetv). Not sure what to make of this, to be honest. I've spent some time researching but I've come up wtih nothing. In the mean time, I have to move to Plex for my viewing, and I hate to say it, but it might be the end of road for me with SageTV

I don't know what would change from android 7 to 8 that would cause this. I found one thread saying that 16bit pngs were failing to load since upgrading.