SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhorer View Post
You're right. I did a power/restart and got the update screen. I selected "remind me later" but was afraid that it did the update anyway. Luckily, it did not. I went with this setup because one of my HD300s died. I replaced the HD300 with a Shield and, later, added a harmony Hub because of the horrible Shield remote. Anyway, this Oreo update issue has me worried.
At some point, I think that either the issue will be fixed (by google), or, we end up simply "fixing" all the bad images so that they load correctly. (JOrton has already done this, but it may take some to get the images updated in the plugin, etc). I suspect that the same is happening with SageMC as well. In the mean time, I'm going to open a bug with Google to see if they can fix this.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
Justto pile on, my shield upgraded to Oreo and the miniclient acts very strangely with SageMC - the home screen displays fine, but when I initiate playback, I hear audio but no video is displayed. Very odd.

Thx
mike
Yes, sadly I experience similar audio / video sync issues. The worst I have seen is 1-2 sec offset. The audio is ahead of the video. It is usually bad on local network channels (e.g. news, sports, etc...)
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Yes, sadly I experience similar audio / video sync issues. The worst I have seen is 1-2 sec offset. The audio is ahead of the video. It is usually bad on local network channels (e.g. news, sports, etc...)
The newest update also included updates to ExoPlayer and IJKPlayer. ie, with every release I try to update the underly libraries as well. I have not experienced any negative side effects of the play upgrades.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
At some point, I think that either the issue will be fixed (by google), or, we end up simply "fixing" all the bad images so that they load correctly. (JOrton has already done this, but it may take some to get the images updated in the plugin, etc). I suspect that the same is happening with SageMC as well. In the mean time, I'm going to open a bug with Google to see if they can fix this.
I hope you can make that happen. When the Chrome browser was fairly new, I remember it refusing to open many pages that IE was fine with. The issue was the pages themselves didn’t adhere to the standard, however Chrome was unwilling to load those “unfit” pages. If the images are actually “bad” they may still have that same (unhelpful) response.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I hope you can make that happen. When the Chrome browser was fairly new, I remember it refusing to open many pages that IE was fine with. The issue was the pages themselves didn’t adhere to the standard, however Chrome was unwilling to load those “unfit” pages. If the images are actually “bad” they may still have that same (unhelpful) response.
I did submit a bug report to Google along with images and test code to reproduce the issue. And I get what you are saying about Google's attitude when it comes to "working around" problems. I run into that with ExoPlayer as well... They attitude is "fix the media", whereas ffmpeg based players will around issues to better support their customers. That's just Google overall attitude, I think
Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have looked at this a couple times, but, the solution isn't a simple one I can't just change the name on the Android side (which would be easy), but instead I have to keep all the names in a database, since later, I need to send back to sagetv, all the names that we have, and sagetv uses this for caching.
I actually started to have that issue and a minor work around I found was to turn off the setting on the server that places the episode name in the file name. Season and episode number works fine for me.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
I actually started to have that issue and a minor work around I found was to turn off the setting on the server that places the episode name in the file name. Season and episode number works fine for me.
Yeah, I did that too, but still caught the issue. Older files, I guess.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 07-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The newest update also included updates to ExoPlayer and IJKPlayer. ie, with every release I try to update the underly libraries as well. I have not experienced any negative side effects of the play upgrades.
i also have had no major issues with the oreo OS and client on shield.
thanks for the player upgrades!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Sage User

It seems that on both my Mi Box and Shield that ExoPlayer now has issues with starting a video at a previously stopped position.

I think it did this with just the OREO update.

I have upgraded the client on both boxes and now use IJKPlayer because the latest version fixed the problem of pausing too long and stopping the video when playing again.

It still has the initial stuttering at the beginning but I just do a quick back button press and all is well.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

So, is there a consensus on Oreo? My setup is very basic -- the only change/addition is Gemstone.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackb View Post
It seems that on both my Mi Box and Shield that ExoPlayer now has issues with starting a video at a previously stopped position.

I think it did this with just the OREO update.
That's not my experience. The previous miniclient build worked well with ExoPlayer on Oreo while the current miniclient build has issues like you describe.

Maybe stuckless can comment if this is more likely due to the latest version of ExoPlayer used or if it could be attributed to other commits that he made to the code.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhorer View Post
So, is there a consensus on Oreo? My setup is very basic -- the only change/addition is Gemstone.
The latest release works great on my Miboxes, worlds better on my nexus players (some minor graphical glitches). Both are on oreo, different releases and architecture ex. one is x86. I don't use Exoplayer.

I use Gemstone. Thank you for the update and fix!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage Expert

I picked up an Oreo-loaded tablet this weekend, and the app runs very well on it ...
Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

not sure what it is related to, but over time i think i've seen a few things:

1. i get occasional stops while watching programs, video stops playing and it drops back to selection menu. hit watch and it picks up where it left off.

2. occasional lip sync issues, fixed by skip ahead/back

3. occasional garbage screen, probably the image issue everyone else was seeing previously. exit sage client (not trivial with screwed up screen image) and restart solves problem. i have latest load but have not tried clearing cache or detected any specific trigger

overall, still works well though
Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Bandage it!

In my case I'm finding I'm missing quite a few icons from the Gemstone UI. Most annoying was missing recording and other indicators from the guide and various flows. As a bandage I did the following. Only obvious thing is check boxes that are checked still disappear completely from the UI instead of showing a check, but otherwise it seems everything else is back to normal.

BEWARE - The following is performed at your own risk and your own risk alone. Do not attempt if you do not know what you are doing!

My setup is Ubuntu with Docker for the SageTV server and that is what the following directions are designed around.

1) First you need to create a backup of your Gemstone UI. From the Gemstone "side bar", choose Utility Functions | Import-Export | Select all Exports | Export.

2) Although I did the following changes "live", it would be wise to stop your SageTV server instance first. Do so now.

3) Get to a command prompt on your SageTV server.

4) The following assumes the image files are located at /opt/sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Themes/Gemstone which should be the default locaiton. To verify:
$ ls /opt/sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Themes/Gemstone

You should see a large quantity of .png files with a few directories

5) Install optipng:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install optipng

6) Run Optipng on all .png files, creating a backup in the process.
$ find /opt/sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Themes/Gemstone -type f -name "*.png" -exec optipng -keep -force '{}' \;

This will locate and rebuild all .png files in /opt/sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Themes/Gemstone and all subdirectories. The original png is saved as a .bak file.

7) The optimized files are owned by the current user, but must be owned by the SageTV user. To correct this, use 'chown' where <STV user> and <STV group> correspond to the SageTV user and group (this should correspond to the user and group for all other files in this directory which is also the user/group SageTV is ran as).
$ chown -R <STV user>:<STV group> *.png

8) Restart the SageTV docker.

9) You may need to clear the image cache on the Oreo client for the updated graphics to show. Close the mini client and find the Oreo settings panel. From here go to Apps, find the SageTV mini client. Stop it if it is running, then clear the memory cache and data.

10) Relaunch the SageTV mini client and restore Gemstone menus from the backup. Icons should now (mostly) work.

11) At a later time if the conversion is successful you can delete the png backup files:
# cd /opt/sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Themes/Gemstone
# rm -R *.png.bak

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

Here is a link to the updated Gemstone images if it helps,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P2...L_mPl-h73jnuS2

Replace the files and folders in Sagetv\STVs\Sagetv\Themes\Gemstone\ with these.

I get all nervous when I see "chown" or "sudu" cause I'm a windows guy

J
Old 08-01-2018, 07:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
Here is a link to the updated Gemstone images if it helps,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P2...L_mPl-h73jnuS2

Replace the files and folders in Sagetv\STVs\Sagetv\Themes\Gemstone\ with these.

I get all nervous when I see "chown" or "sudu" cause I'm a windows guy

J
I will try to find time to put out a gemstone release that includes these soon

k
Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks jusjoken!

J
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Gemstone update has been released with the updated PNG files JOrton produced.

Hope this helps.

k
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

A second update to gemstone 1.0407 posted to fix 2 images (checked and unchecked).

k