SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Docker Containers updated to 1.0.3

A couple of things to note here...

1. Java 7 Container is not updated and will be removed at some point. Java 7 is no longer supported, and as a result, it can't be installed into the container. The container, as is, will continue to work though.

2. Java 8 Container is updated to the latest Java 8

3. There is a Java 9 Container.

4. Comskip is updated in the Java8/9 containers to the latest build.

Regarding the Java 9 container. Java 9 was released some time ago, and I finally got around to actually building a container using it. I'm running Java 9 on my server. SageTV appears to run fine, no issues that I have found so far. The only change in Java 9 that I can see having an impact on the server is that in Java 9 the default garbage collector is G1, which was introduced in Java 8, but not on by default.

In Java 9 there are some memory improvements especially for Latin1 strings (of which sagetv uses a lot). And there are some improvements in the way string concatenations are handled, but, we may need to recompile with Java 9 to see that, not sure.

If you are running the Java8 container and you want to switch to the Java 9 container, it's pretty easy. Just stop the container, and then edit the configuration. The repository will show something like, stuckless/sagetv-server-java8, and just change the 8 to a 9 and save. unRAID will pull the new container with Java 9. Once it's done, just start it up.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for this, it's running really well with Java9.

BUT:
BMT has stopped matching program names with tvdb. I updated last night, and stuff that was matching before is no longer matching. "No Result" when searching manually. Any ideas? It'll be later tonight before I can downgrade it to check.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Same for me too - SageTV seems great - I also have the same issue with BMT and TV shows - Movies seem fine though

Thanks for your work with this docker Sean - much appreciated!
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 03-11-2018, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I'm seeing a problem in java 9 has removed some libraries I'll have to investigate how to resolve this.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

So, I found the problem, and the fix is going to require an update to the sagetv startsagecore script.

In my environment, I updated my script, and I discovered that I check for java 9 doesn't work

My script changes in were to replace the current java 8/9 checks with the following code.

Code:
JAVA_VERSION=$(java -version 2>&1 | awk -F '"' '/version/ {print $2}' | tr '.' '\n' | head -1)
if [[ "$JAVA_VERSION" == "8" || "$JAVA_VERSION" == "9" ]] ; then    
    JAVAOPTS="$JAVAOPTS -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UseStringDeduplication"
fi

if [[ "$JAVA_VERSION" == "9" ]] ; then
   JAVAOPTS="$JAVAOPTS --add-modules java.se.ee "
fi
The changes here are the JAVA_VERSION check is different, and, when java 9 is used we need --add-modules java.se.ee to bring in the missing xml libraries.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any idea when this change may take place?

I think since BMT doesn't work with TVDB then imports are failing to be recognized and defaulting to be assigned as 'movies' instead of 'tv'.

Not too sure if it is an easy process to revert to the java8 docker - don't want to mess up my server.

Thanks again for all your work!

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
Old 03-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
Not too sure if it is an easy process to revert to the java8 docker - don't want to mess up my server.
Just edit the docker and change the 9 back to an 8. No dramas.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Just edit the docker and change the 9 back to an 8. No dramas.
Great - I have done that for now - thanks for the advise ...

I know absolutely nothing about Java but googling around I saw this:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/doc...e-summary.html

Not sure how this would affect Sean's fix above ...

Dwight
Old 03-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Out of curiosity I looked into Docker and noticed they claim to run on Windows as well and say that the container should run the same. Has anybody set this up/know if the SageTV docker works on docker running on Windows?

I could always spin up a VMware Linux VM to host Sage but thought this might be a light weight option.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked into Docker and noticed they claim to run on Windows as well and say that the container should run the same. Has anybody set this up/know if the SageTV docker works on docker running on Windows?

I could always spin up a VMware Linux VM to host Sage but thought this might be a light weight option.
I've not tried to run SageTV on Docker for Windows, however I believe it should run. That being said, Docker for Windows is, IMHO, a kludge. Since Docker is at its core a Linux technology the server runs on Linux from within a Hyper-V VM. While Docker containers on a Linux system such as unRAID, unless specifically limited, have access to all hardware resources of the host system. Docker on Windows is limited to the resources assigned to the VM.

Running the SageTV Docker might be a good theoretical exercise but I doubt it would be a viable production environment.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick to my current Windows SageTV Server then.