SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
These are errors being thrown directly by ExoPlayer. In my latest release I am exposing them to the end user so you have a better idea what is going on.

My best guess would be that there are issues with the files you are sending to ExoPlayer. Some other players may fix these issues, ExoPlayer may not. If you use OpenDCT and apply stream fix these issues would most likely go away.

Edit: It also could possibly be an unsupprted audio codec... Although I think that may be unlikely.

Josh
How do you apply stream fix in OPENDCT.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

Google Play Store release has been pushed to production. I assume it may take a while until it is available. The original listing is still present. This is a new listing under my user. I am also posting releases to the GitHub repository for those that want/need the APK file.

Play Store

GitHub APK

This is version 1.5.0 of the original repo. There are no real changes from the last posted release, but this uses the original icons. I will attempt to publish on the Amazon App Store next.

Josh

Last edited by jvl711; 06-26-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

EXOPLAYER is used in EMBY and I play the files Direct with no transcoding and it plays fine SageTVMiniClient has a problem. I will try the OPENDCT fix if you post what I need to set never used it.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Thank you, jvl711, MiniClient once again runs on my Chromebook. The new apk picked up the old settings and just started working. It may be my imagination but it seems to be a lot snappier than before. I will get this sideloaded to my Firestick and see how that works next.

You need to start a beer fund like Fuzzy used to do. I would certainly donate to it.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
EXOPLAYER is used in EMBY and I play the files Direct with no transcoding and it plays fine SageTVMiniClient has a problem. I will try the OPENDCT fix if you post what I need to set never used it.
This is the setting I am thinking about. This sends the stream through ffmpeg as OpenDCT is processing it. This will repackage the stream into the container. It fixes a lot of issues.

consumer.ffmpeg.fix_stream=true

I would assume that you may have this setting already.... So if this does not work can you start sharing with me details of your setup. I am looking to purchase some new hardware for testing, so I would like to try and repro if I can. So far I am just using the one SonyTV. My other TVs still have HD300s on them. I am thinking of getting a FireTV 4K and a Shield TV. I think that will cover a large portion of users.

I know you shared some of these already, but I want to make sure I got them all

1. Tuner
2. What is your live TV files like (h.264,mpeg2,.ts,.ps) Any other important info you can think of
2. OpenDCT?
3. Hardward Client (Sheild, Fire Stick, etc...)
4. Wired/Wireless
5. Speed of networking (10/100, Gigabit, Wireless N, Wireless AC)

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayto View Post

Thank you, jvl711, MiniClient once again runs on my Chromebook. The new apk picked up the old settings and just started working. It may be my imagination but it seems to be a lot snappier than before. I will get this sideloaded to my Firestick and see how that works next.

You need to start a beer fund like Fuzzy used to do. I would certainly donate to it.
Thanks for the feedback! I may start a beer fund at some point to keep me motivated

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-26-2020, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This is the setting I am thinking about. This sends the stream through ffmpeg as OpenDCT is processing it. This will repackage the stream into the container. It fixes a lot of issues.

consumer.ffmpeg.fix_stream=true

I would assume that you may have this setting already.... So if this does not work can you start sharing with me details of your setup. I am looking to purchase some new hardware for testing, so I would like to try and repro if I can. So far I am just using the one SonyTV. My other TVs still have HD300s on them. I am thinking of getting a FireTV 4K and a Shield TV. I think that will cover a large portion of users.

I know you shared some of these already, but I want to make sure I got them all

1. Tuner
2. What is your live TV files like (h.264,mpeg2,.ts,.ps) Any other important info you can think of
2. OpenDCT?
3. Hardwired Client (Sheild, Fire Stick, etc...)
4. Wired/Wireless
5. Speed of networking (10/100, Gigabit, Wireless N, Wireless AC)

Thanks,
Josh
I have a full testing system ... Support non technical folks
1. Connects and Primes
2. h264 from Prime Mpeg2 from Connects. (OPENDCT)
3. FireTV Stick 4K ... Shield ...
FireTV Cube 2 main system connected to Echo Studios.
4. Wired and Wireless ... My Players are all hardwired.
5 Gigabit ... Wireless N, Wireless AC.

So whatever you need I will be able to provide .. The problem of slo mo started with the old miniclient when they released the new EXOPLAYER and continues with your Client.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-26-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

@Josh.....

I have some good news it appears the MiniClient has a problem when FireTV players are connected to the Amazon Echo Studio Home Theater (it does correct itself eventually)... When I switch the audio output on the FireTV from Home Theater System to my sound bar it plays fine....

I had the same problem with Channels DVR but they corrected it... I am sure that most users use sound bars... It is minor to go to firetv audio settings and switch back and forth. The Amazon Echo Studio Home Theater has Atmos ... so I have it setup to use it.

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...glitches/22149

This Video shows a similar setup to what I have ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6ZUz353Iw

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-26-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I may start a beer fund at some point to keep me motivated
I'm sure that there are plenty of folks here ready to throw cash at you to continue work on the Android client, and if you decided to work on the remote use at some point, more power to you. You made my heart jump a little bit when you mentioned the transcoder.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I may start a beer fund at some point to keep me motivated

Thanks,
Josh
yeah, it’s work worth beer
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-26-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I'm sure that there are plenty of folks here ready to throw cash at you to continue work on the Android client, and if you decided to work on the remote use at some point, more power to you. You made my heart jump a little bit when you mentioned the transcoder.
Sign me up!

--John
Old 06-26-2020, 10:27 PM
Sage Expert

I tried 1.5.0 on my FireStick 4K and didn't have good results. MPEG2 recordings were playable but the audio (AC3) was a bunch of chirps and buzz sounds (even though the FireStick says it supports AC3, see attached screenshot). H264 recordings weren't usable.

Also tried on my Shield. MPEG2 looks great! FF and REW and SKIPs behave very well. (See codecs for Shield, second attachment).

However, H.264 recordings just show a black screen and eventually stop with the error in the third attachment. (I think the FireStick has the same error but I didn't catch the error in time to get a pic.)

Most of my recordings have Dolby Digital for sound, many with 5.1 (aka AC3), and AC3 is not supported on the Shield. This weekend I'll try to convert some recordings to use AAC audio to see if that works better. (I'd be happy to have OpenDCT transcode AC3 -> AAC if that works.)

--John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FireStickCodecs.jpg (108.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg ShieldCodecs.jpg (130.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg h264error.jpg (61.2 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by jpwegas; 06-26-2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: more details
Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
I tried 1.5.0 on my FireStick 4K and didn't have good results. MPEG2 recordings were playable but the audio (AC3) was a bunch of chirps and buzz sounds (even though the FireStick says it supports AC3, see attached screenshot). H264 recordings weren't usable.

Also tried on my Shield. MPEG2 looks great! FF and REW and SKIPs behave very well. (See codecs for Shield, second attachment).

However, H.264 recordings just show a black screen and eventually stop with the error in the third attachment. (I think the FireStick has the same error but I didn't catch the error in time to get a pic.)

Most of my recordings have Dolby Digital for sound, many with 5.1 (aka AC3), and AC3 is not supported on the Shield. This weekend I'll try to convert some recordings to use AAC audio to see if that works better. (I'd be happy to have OpenDCT transcode AC3 -> AAC if that works.)

--John
I noticed on your screenshot the out of memory error ... I thought everything was running fine ... but after using the MiniClient for a while it will stop playing ... I think it has a real bad memory leak.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks everyone for their support!

@jpwegas that is interesting and I have a theory. I have been a bit lazy in keeping up with the ffmpeg audio extension. I wonder if that might the cause of these issues that you are seeing. My TV decodes most of the audio formats. AC3/DTS etc... so I do not think I am using it all that often. I am going to make that my next priority to recompile a newer release of that.

@nyplayer thank you for continuing to look into that issue. Do you know if the audio was being passed to ffmpeg in the case you were seeing the issues? I would think no, since it was probably passing thru the audio.

@all I am kinda shocked that the shield does not decode ac3/dts natively. What is the deal with that? I though it stated on the packaging that they decoded dts and dts-hd. Am I wrong. If it does state that, what does it mean? Maybe the shield is not the ideal replacement for the HD300??? Native codec support is probably the most important factor for use with ExoPlayer going forward.

I have ordered the fire stick 4k to have for additional testing. I only have the one SonyTV for Android TV testing, so this should help. Trying to decided on the other testing device. I was going to go with the shield, but now I am thinking to wait and see what the new Xiaomi Stick looks like when it comes out, or the new Google Android TV stick. I think they may both be around the corner, and may be at a nice price point for a replacement. Thoughs?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Except for the fact that it's a native Amazon device, the fire stick 4k doesn't really get much fanfare, but it typically does the job very well, and it's very easy to travel with.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

These are my findings comparing the old mini client with the new on.

The best Setting for my system is using the old Mini Client on my firetv cube 2 is EXOPLAYER for Video and EXO: Disable Audio passthrough use FFMPEG Instead. I cannot test that with yours because that option is not available.... of course seeking is not as good yours is much better.

With FFMPEG decoding the audio it plays perfectly using my Echo Studios.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-27-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

I sideloaded your version to my Sony TV a few days ago. When you said you published it to the Google Playstore I went looking for it. It does not show up on my search but the original 1.4.4 version does ...

Using the Playstore link you posted takes me to your app but it says it is incompatible with my device:

My TV is a Sony XBR-55X850D and I am in Canada - if that helps ...

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 06-27-2020, 03:58 PM
Sage Expert

@jvl711 Just FYI I'm using the 2017 Shield I believe, not sure if the pre-2019 version supports Dolby. Or maybe it's related to the Android version on each device?

On the main TV (which has a receiver to do the audio processing), I tried 1.3.5 and the passthrough audio is enabled I still don't get sound. When I disable it, the movie won't even play.

With 1.5.0, I can't change that option, but I get no sound out of my receiver when the miniclient is running (other than the Shield sounds).

I let one of the movies (MPEG2) play longer and after a got a Java "out of bounds" error.

--John

Last edited by jpwegas; 06-27-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: clarify audio
Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
I sideloaded your version to my Sony TV a few days ago. When you said you published it to the Google Playstore I went looking for it. It does not show up on my search but the original 1.4.4 version does ...

Using the Playstore link you posted takes me to your app but it says it is incompatible with my device:

My TV is a Sony XBR-55X850D and I am in Canada - if that helps ...

Dwight
Hi Dwight,

Can you please try again. I did not have distribution turned on for any other country than the US. It is now set to US and Canada. I should probably open this up world wide.... I may do that next release.

Josh
Old 06-28-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Here is a beta version for you guys to try out. This has the 2.11.5 version of the ffmpeg extension. I am hoping this will fix some of the issues that we were seeing. Let me know what you guys are seeing.

1.5.1_beta

Thanks,
Josh

P.S. Compiling that extension is a real pain in the butt...