SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Exclamation WARNING: SageTV Android Client and Android 11

I upgraded my phone last night to Android 11 and the SageTV client no longer has images or fonts loading. I am pretty sure that this is an issue with the upgrade.

I am going to need to look into this. Not sure what is going on. It might take me a little while to figure out. This is an area of the code I am not very familiar with. So, if you do not want it to break, you may want to hold off on upgrading.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I upgraded my phone last night to Android 11 and the SageTV client no longer has images or fonts loading. I am pretty sure that this is an issue with the upgrade.

I am going to need to look into this. Not sure what is going on. It might take me a little while to figure out. This is an area of the code I am not very familiar with. So, if you do not want it to break, you may want to hold off on upgrading.

Josh
Did you re-install the app after upgrading? The miniclient will cache textures and fonts (which are textures as well) and I've seen where sometimes these can get corrupted. Do you see any images or just blackness?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Did you re-install the app after upgrading? The miniclient will cache textures and fonts (which are textures as well) and I've seen where sometimes these can get corrupted. Do you see any images or just blackness?
At first I was getting some objects that did not have images or fonts. Then after reinstalling I get just a black screen. I was thinking that maybe there is a error loading images.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Stuckless I think I stumbled upon the issue by luck. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on this code block, and why you added this change. It seems like it was working perfectly until Android 11. It looks like Adroid 11 does not like Bitmap.Config.HARDWARE. Kinda odd.

Code:
public ImageHolder<GdxTexture> readImage(InputStream fis) throws Exception {
        long st = System.currentTimeMillis();

BitmapFactory.Options options = new BitmapFactory.Options();
        if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.O)
        {
            // this appears to work better since Android O (documentation says it's prefferred
            // for bitmaps that are only used to render to the screen (immutable)
            //options.inPreferredConfig = Bitmap.Config.HARDWARE;
            options.inPreferredConfig = Bitmap.Config.ARGB_8888;
        }
        else
        {
        }
        final Bitmap bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeStream(fis, null, options);

long time = System.currentTimeMillis() - st;
        totalTextureTime += time;
        longestTextureTime = Math.max(time, longestTextureTime);

final GdxTexture t = new GdxTexture(bitmap);
        invokeLater(new Runnable() {
            @Override
            public void run() {
                t.load();
            }
        });
        return new ImageHolder<>(t, t.width, t.height);
    }
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-10-2020, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Josh
Thanks for the warning, as I usually upgrade too soon....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-10-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage Icon

Edit - well apparently I'm an idiot. I took the Android 11 OTA update, but something must have gone wrong and the phone must have rebooted into the old Android 10 partition. I didn't notice I was still on Android 10 for a couple of days. (I was killing myself trying to root the phone and every time I booted the Android 11 modified boot image, I got a bootloop. Once I realized it was still on Android 10, I manually upgraded to 11 and rooted the phone just fine).

Long story short, this post of mine was made when I was still unknowingly on Android 10.

Quote:
I've also upgraded to Android 11 and I don't have any font/display issues with either version (1.54 or the older 1.4) of the Mini-client.

Everything (menu, guides, live TV, etc) looks normal and works as expected.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 09-22-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Stuckless I think I stumbled upon the issue by luck. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on this code block, and why you added this change. It seems like it was working perfectly until Android 11. It looks like Adroid 11 does not like Bitmap.Config.HARDWARE. Kinda odd.

Code:
public ImageHolder<GdxTexture> readImage(InputStream fis) throws Exception {
        long st = System.currentTimeMillis();

BitmapFactory.Options options = new BitmapFactory.Options();
        if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.O)
        {
            // this appears to work better since Android O (documentation says it's prefferred
            // for bitmaps that are only used to render to the screen (immutable)
            //options.inPreferredConfig = Bitmap.Config.HARDWARE;
        }
        else
        {
        }
        final Bitmap bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeStream(fis, null, options);

long time = System.currentTimeMillis() - st;
        totalTextureTime += time;
        longestTextureTime = Math.max(time, longestTextureTime);

final GdxTexture t = new GdxTexture(bitmap);
        invokeLater(new Runnable() {
            @Override
            public void run() {
                t.load();
            }
        });
        return new ImageHolder<>(t, t.width, t.height);
    }
I vaguely remember doing this, and likely it was done an as optimization when I moved to Oreo, but, I guess gess 11 doesn't like it. I assume you commented out the HARDWARE is is using ARGB888 and it works? If so, then I'd just remove the HARDWARE flag entirely and always use ARGB888
Old 09-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I vaguely remember doing this, and likely it was done an as optimization when I moved to Oreo, but, I guess gess 11 doesn't like it. I assume you commented out the HARDWARE is is using ARGB888 and it works? If so, then I'd just remove the HARDWARE flag entirely and always use ARGB888
Thanks Stuckless That is exactly what I did. I see why you added that code. It is supposed to be a good performance enhancement. I am going to push a fix to play store.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I've also upgraded to Android 11 and I don't have any font/display issues with either version (1.54 or the older 1.4) of the Mini-client.

Everything (menu, guides, live TV, etc) looks normal and works as expected.
Interesting. What hardware are you using? I am using Pixel 3xl. It might be specific to that hardware.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Interesting. What hardware are you using? I am using Pixel 3xl. It might be specific to that hardware.
I have a Pixel 3aXL. EDIT - that was apparently still on Android 10 (the Android 11 OTA must have failed and unknowingly rebooted into the old Android 10 partition).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)

Last edited by sic0048; 09-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I have a Pixel 3aXL.
They are really similar, but there is hardware differences in GUP/CPU. I wonder if this is a driver bug on my phone.

Regardless, I fixed the issue and pushed a new release just in case someone else has the issue I had.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

I just wanted to update my original posts with an idiotic mistake I must have made.

Long story short, my phone was still on Android 10 when I posted that I didn't have any issues with the app. My only guess is that the OTA update failed, or something else caused the phone to reboot into the Android 10 partition. It may have been when I was trying to root it.
OpenDCT
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I just wanted to update my original posts with an idiotic mistake I must have made.

Long story short, my phone was still on Android 10 when I posted that I didn't have any issues with the app. My only guess is that the OTA update failed, or something else caused the phone to reboot into the Android 10 partition. It may have been when I was trying to root it.
Thanks for the followup. Just out of curiosity, did you see the issue? Were you able to get your phone updated.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

I experienced the issue after upgrading to Android 11 on my Pixel 4a. The issue was fixed for me in the newer release.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
I experienced the issue after upgrading to Android 11 on my Pixel 4a. The issue was fixed for me in the newer release.
Just out of curiosity, when you say fixed in newer release, you are talking about the android mini client, and not a patch to android 11?

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 10-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when you say fixed in newer release, you are talking about the android mini client, and not a patch to android 11?

Thanks,
Josh
Yep, your newer release of the android mini client (that you said includes a fix for this issue on 9/10) did, indeed, fix it for me on my Pixel 4a. Prior to updating to your fixed version of the mini client, I was just getting a black screen.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K