SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage Expert

Attempt to move to Plex

I have been testing Plex for a few months now and have come to this conclusion that the DVR functionality is not ready for Primetime.

I only started looking at Plex because of all the Clients it supports. That support is pretty good, light years ahead of our Sagetv client support.

But I think I have found a way to combine the two to get the best of both worlds. I will keep Sagetv for its DVR functionality and setup Plex for playback of the SageTV recorded shows on its plethora of current clients.

That seems to work fine. Just make the Plex TV show library the same folder as the SageTV recording folders.

The one thing I do miss with this setup is Plex cannot use a photo library when paused. You have to manually start the photo gallery.

All in, Plex is still missing an amazing amount of DVR functionality that SageTV already had back in 2005 and I personally use constantly. My conclusion is their DVR functions are an afterthought, not really part of their design goals.

Hats off to Narflex! -Bill
Old 02-17-2021, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I haven't bothered trying out the DVR functionality of Plex yet and I don't really have a reason to do so right now. Plex looks prettier and, as you mention, it is nice that it has clients on almost any platform. But I have SageTV extenders for all of my TVs and I have a bunch of spares, so I am good when it comes to that. It would be easier to have everything on one source but I don't find it to be a big hinderance to switch inputs to a Roku or whatever, and I now have three TVs with built in Roku functionality.

In my mind I can see two reasons to move away from SageTV
1 - Getting rid of cable and going to all streaming services
2 - Wanting everything to be in 4K and not being able to do that very easily in SageTV. But I might be able to do the latter with Android TV clients and newer encoding devices.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, I find my 200 & 300 devices just don't play any of the newer video formats, they are fine if all you want to do is watch the sage recorded shows, hence the need to newer clients. Also, I don't have any spares and my hd300 has this annoying problem of extremely loud static sometimes when skipping ahead. I have not figured out the pattern to them, they are very annoying but the worst thing is the dog runs and hides each time.

Also, the Shield Android TV has problems with both versions of the Android mini client. After watching something for about an hour, maybe longer the screen goes nuts so the Sagetv menu cannot be read anymore. Luckily muscle memory allows me to delete the just finished show. I have to exit Sagetv, which is difficult when it menu can't be read anymore. It usually back to readable after getting out and back in for the next hour. I was thinking the new builders mini client would fix it. But it didn't, it too has the menu go into never never land. -Bill
Old 02-18-2021, 10:54 AM
Sage User

I agree that Plex leaves a lot to be desired as a DVR. And, my biggest issue with using Plex to play shows recorded by SageTV is that it does not respect Comskip files.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Another problem with Plex for watching recorded TV, especially sports, is the slower response to skipping forward compared to SageTV. That doesn' really matter for movies or TV shows with no commercials, but it makes a HUGE difference to me for sports, which is pretty much the only time I ever watch linear TV.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyth View Post
I agree that Plex leaves a lot to be desired as a DVR. And, my biggest issue with using Plex to play shows recorded by SageTV is that it does not respect Comskip files.
I agree with you on that!

The only solution i've seen to this is to have your video file be re-encoded using the comskip file to pull out those sections of video.

I really don't like that solution as once the video is pulled out, you can't get it back if Comskip misfired. It also doesn't help for live TV streams.

I haven't tried Plex DVR yet, but this thread is confirming the reading i've done and the thoughts i've had on the subject so far.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Another problem with Plex for watching recorded TV, especially sports, is the slower response to skipping forward compared to SageTV. That doesn' really matter for movies or TV shows with no commercials, but it makes a HUGE difference to me for sports, which is pretty much the only time I ever watch linear TV.
i have not seen that to be any difference than my sagetv, maybe it was fixed prior to me testing, I started sometime in November. It is missing a way to change the length of skip though. You only get 30 ahead and 10 back. Now if you are using a Roku device, they don't appear to allow skips, unless you setup chapters and who is going to do that more than once. -Bill
Old 02-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
I agree with you on that!

The only solution i've seen to this is to have your video file be re-encoded using the comskip file to pull out those sections of video.

I really don't like that solution as once the video is pulled out, you can't get it back if Comskip misfired. It also doesn't help for live TV streams.

I haven't tried Plex DVR yet, but this thread is confirming the reading i've done and the thoughts i've had on the subject so far.
They fixed that, you now have a choice to cut the section out or leave it in to skip commercials. I was kind of surprised when I read they originally had it cut the section from the file, seemed like neophytes thought that one up, no one that has ever used a commercial skipping tool would have let that get into the design. -Bill
Old 02-19-2021, 04:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I've been using plex for a couple of years, but, I still haven't done much with the DVR part. I keep toying with the idea of using it, but, the limited tuner support is a challenge for me.

Some things I do like about plex...
1. I use different users for myself, my wife, and my kids
2. I use the "sharing" section with filters to create a list of shows that I watch/monitor
3. I like that plex has added the "skip intro" button on shows
4. I used the web interface quite a bit when I would travel (you know, when travel was a thing)
Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
They fixed that, you now have a choice to cut the section out or leave it in to skip commercials. I was kind of surprised when I read they originally had it cut the section from the file, seemed like neophytes thought that one up, no one that has ever used a commercial skipping tool would have let that get into the design. -Bill
I have not seen that. Can you point me to the instructions?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I have not seen that. Can you point me to the instructions?
Click on DETECT COMMERCIALS. There are now 4 options in the pick list. Tried to get a screen shot. But the pick list closes when I do that. One of the choices says to use DVR Settings, so I am guessing you can set it globally. -Bill
Old 02-19-2021, 10:06 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've been using plex for a couple of years, but, I still haven't done much with the DVR part. I keep toying with the idea of using it, but, the limited tuner support is a challenge for me.

Some things I do like about plex...
1. I use different users for myself, my wife, and my kids
2. I use the "sharing" section with filters to create a list of shows that I watch/monitor
3. I like that plex has added the "skip intro" button on shows
4. I used the web interface quite a bit when I would travel (you know, when travel was a thing)
I wouldn't bother testing the DVR functionality, Sage is light years ahead of it. Luckily I switched all my tuners to HDHR's many years back. Heck I even have one in my motorhome for recording. I even suggested to the Plex folks they could probably use some of the sagetv code now that its in the PD. Even if they just looked at the Service feature of sage. If the plex server reboots, you will miss recordings as they say that a service cannot record shows. Kind of hilarious until you realized its not. -Bill
Old 02-19-2021, 02:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Click on DETECT COMMERCIALS. There are now 4 options in the pick list. Tried to get a screen shot. But the pick list closes when I do that. One of the choices says to use DVR Settings, so I am guessing you can set it globally. -Bill
Open the Windows Snip tool, then when a drop down menu is visible, push CTRL+PrintScreen on your keyboard. It should freeze the current state of your windows with the drop down open and allow you to snip it.

It's not an easily discoverable feature, but its saved me soooooo much time when communicating through email with people about how to use software features etc.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Open the Windows Snip tool, then when a drop down menu is visible, push CTRL+PrintScreen on your keyboard. It should freeze the current state of your windows with the drop down open and allow you to snip it.

It's not an easily discoverable feature, but its saved me soooooo much time when communicating through email with people about how to use software features etc.
I’ve always used CTRL+PrintScreen without opening the snip tool. I think it’s just natively supported. Then open “paint” and paste.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another quick screen grab (don't know if it is specific to Win10) or not.

Press the following keys at the same time: Windows+Shift+S

This also freezes the state of the screens. Pretty much all I use these days.
OpenDCT 0.5.32 (64 bit)
Clients: HD300 (x2)
HDHR3-CC Prime 20220822 (Comcast CableCard) - 3 Tuners
HDFX-4K Flex 20220822 (OTA) - 4 Tuners
Old 02-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I’ve always used CTRL+PrintScreen without opening the snip tool. I think it’s just natively supported. Then open “paint” and paste.
Yes, that works too, but then you get the entire screen. The snip tool allows you to snip an area of the screen. On my work computer, I've got 3 monitors plus the Surface, so it makes it easier to start with a smaller piece of the screen
Old 02-19-2021, 07:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

Sweet! Thanks, those pesky drop downs drive me nuts trying to capture them. I used to do Alt PrintScreen but with 3 monitors it just got out of hand.. Thanks. Bill
Old 02-19-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage Expert

[QUOTE=CptKirk;629013]Another quick screen grab (don't know if it is specific to Win10) or not. Press the following keys at the same time: Windows+Shift+S
This also freezes the state of the screens. Pretty much all I use these /QUOTE]

That works too. If only it put it directly into Snip, not that would be awesome.
commercials.JPG
Old 02-20-2021, 05:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

[QUOTE=bigbill;629016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
Another quick screen grab (don't know if it is specific to Win10) or not. Press the following keys at the same time: Windows+Shift+S
This also freezes the state of the screens. Pretty much all I use these /QUOTE]

That works too. If only it put it directly into Snip, not that would be awesome.
Attachment 17774
I remember looking at this now. It only works if you record using the Plex DVR. You are not able to use Plex's detect commercials on videos recorded with SageTV.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage User

Ended up with NextPVR and Emby

I had a long and happy relationship with Sage through a range of Analog, DVB-T and DVB-S tuners. Finally made a decision to try something else when I moved country and my server seemed a bit unstable and the rented house I’m in had no Ethernet wiring.

My requirements were simple - record Terrestial TV with an electronic program guide, skip commercials and allow access to my collection of music and videos.

As well as my sage extenders, luckily I had a few Roku and FireTV laying around which would give me Wi-fi access to the live TV and stored media.

I tried both Plex and Emby’s paid versions but they didn’t support my old TV capture cards. If you have HDHomerun you should be ok.

In the end I landed on Kodi v19 installed on FireTV sticks (Wi-fi) with latest Kodi NextPVR clients and the FireTV Emby (non premiere) clients for my music and video. NextPVR was very easy to setup on the server with Comskip and EPGcollector for over the air EPG parsing. The time shifting is not as slick as SageTV but the UI is nice and crisp. Fanart works well too. Apparently there is going to be an Emby plug-in for NextPVR, but it won’t support Comskip.

I found Emby to be better at organising my media and downloading metadata than Plex, but your mileage may vary.

So all happy now and no big subscription for Live TV options on Plex or Emby.