SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Sage User

Computer to Use

I am seriously thinking replacing the computer I bought to support SageTV as it does not have enough card slots for what I want to do. In searching around - I think I found the ideal computer . . . HP Media Center PC 864n Desktop Computer. Anyone familiar with this computer? Will it do the trick? Or will it compete against SageTV software?

It looks like the perfect computer from its specs . . . but don't want to get something that conflicts with SageTV.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

yeah you are wasting money on the media center edition if you are going to use SageTV

and those are overpriced and under powered graphics cards are common

build it yourself

and if it is a refurbed computer
I would be careful
Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Ditto,

If you're uncomfortable with building your own, check out some of the smaller companies like [RUL=http://www.monarchcomputer.com]Monarch Computer[/URL]. They'll build you a system exactly to your specs, and they only charge a small fee for the assembly/testing.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

I'll definitely give Monarch two thumbs up, I've NEVER had a problem with those guys, and their prices are reasonable (though not always the cheapest), and you get excellent customer service. They are also pretty fast shippers, as we usually get our stuff either 2nd day, or at the longest 3rd day after order (and once had the stuff the next day).

As for it being a media center PC, you're actually paying for Windows MCE, which you really won't need (I'd reload it with 2k or XP), so unless your getting it for a really good price, I'd go with a prebuilt clone PC (or build yourself if you're so inclined). Also, 90% of all the HP/Dell/Gateway/etc prebuit MCE machines have fewer slots on them than you'd most likely get on a built clone machine, so if slots are a concern, go clone .
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Sage User

Why not refurbished? Is there a special glitch about them?