SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Sage User

Unstable: Any Suggestions?

Hi,

At the end is my config:
The video hangs and the picture freezes however sage seems to keep running:
I am running OSD out on the 350. I will try the following tonight to see if it helps:

I Found the following tips scattered throughout the web and will try those.
Currently Hyperthreading on my cpu is disabled through BIOS.

1. TURN OFF LOCAL PLAYBACK:
When Video Out is enabled, turning off the local playback will lower CPU usage considerably. To access that option, click and hold right mouse button then go down to video out and uncheck Local Playback. You can also turn off Video out in the same menu selection.

2.CHECK Local Monitor Profile:
If You are using Default Monitor change it to Plug & Play or Set up with rigth
monitor profiles.

* not installed: You own WinDVD it can cuase problem the best thing is to uninstall it and use a different Soft DVD Player like PowerDVD or some other player. Update: Try new install new ver 3.0 MPEG decoder besure the old one where uninstall first before install new decoder from Add/Remove Programs look for "InterVideo SDK filter".
* not installedo you have Nimo Codec pack if so uninstall it and re-install the hauppauge software mpeg decoder driver.

3. SETUP AS Primary Display
You can set the WinTV to run in Primary display mode to get the video in the WinTV2000. You must have the latest version of the Hauppauge Software decoders and version 1.6 or higher of the PVR-250/350 drivers.

Open the Primary applet located in the Start - Programs - Hauppauge WinTV program group. Select Force Primary and close the Primary program out. Open WinTV and try adding a channel and see if the video and audio play. Also verify that you can change the MPEG quality settings in the Pref - Movies - MPEG settings.(Remember, this is just a workaround; the PVR 250/350 is designed and meant to work in Overlay. You may need to upgrade the video card drivers or change your video.)

4.Make sure that the Hauppauge Software decoders have been installed.
hese will be listed as Intervideo Filter SDK for Hauppauge in the Add Remove Programs section of Control Panel. If they are not listed here, please reinstallfrom the SMD folder of the WinTV Installation CD.

5. Check for later or beta soundcard drivers The drivers for your Sound card should also be updated and installed properly.

6. Try recording a short MPEG1 VCD file and play it back to see if the decoder is working properly. If you can record and playback a VCD file, then the problem would indicate a Conflict with pre-installed decoders. If you cannot set the MPEG Quality setting to MPEG1 VCD, this reg file hcwSagForceVCD.reg will set the PVR-250/350 to use MPEG-1 VCD as the Quality setting the next time you launch the WinTV2000 application. Make sure the WinTV app is NOT running when you install the registry patch.

7. Set Affinity and tun off yperthreading:
Random Lockups with Dual CPU or Hyperthreaded systems As a workaround, setting Affinity for the WinTV2k application to use only one CPU will sometimes work. To do this,
while the WinTV application is open, Press CTRL+ALT+Delete on your keyboard to open the Windows Task Manager. In here click on the Processes tab and look for the WinTV2K.EXE listing under Image Name. Right click on it and choose Set Affinity. In here it will list the active CPUs. Uncheck the highest number CPU. If they are numbered CPU 0 and CPU 1, uncheck CPU 1. This will make CPU 0 the only one the WinTV will work on.

Microsoft is aware of these types of issues with capture devices. If you would like to read the Microsoft Knowledge base article concerning the hyper-threading fix you can click the following link. There should be a fix for this in Service Pack2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Disabling Hyper Threading in the Bios should also allow the PVR250/350 to function properly. This should only be
tried as a last resort.

-------------------------------------
Running WINXP SP1
DirectX 9.0b
All Win Security Patches
512MB Ram
2-Seagate 200GB 7200.7 HD's
Intel 865Perll MOBO
PCI S3 video (PC monitor out)

Input Video:
DTV Reciever Svideo to H PVR-350
Input Audio:
DTV Reciever to PVR-350

Output Video:
PVR-350 Svideo to TV
Output Audio:
Onboard MOBO digital out

SOFTWARE:
*No extraneous software installed
Followed the instructions here for a clean install:
http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5455

SAGE

PVR-350
hcw1_8_22170

IR
ir32_2.42.22180

MPEG DECODER
hcwsmd_4.0.22021.exe

SCHEDULER:
scheduler_1.09.22092.exe

WINTV2K:
wintv2k_4.5.22173.exe
---------------------------------

Any thoughts on how to resolve the lockups are appreciated! I will reply back and document whatever combo "if any" works

Thanks!!

Last edited by tharpers; 08-05-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Sage Icon

I would suggest you try the drivers listed in my sig. I did not try the 22170 drivers but did try the 22168, which caused new problems for me. I am currently using the 22162 drivers.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Sage User

Thank you I will and I'll post the results!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Sage User

I have been relatively stable (not 100% but much better) using
1.18.21.22162 drivers.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Sage User

Update

I'll have to check the version of MPEG decoder I'm running, It should be the latest from the FTP site (shspvr.com).
The most stable driver I've been able to find for the 350 is called pvr250-350_retail_1.18.021.22162_mix.zip
and you can find it here:
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/wintv-...omize_drivers/

Now I sometimes experience UI/Overlay lockups, but the program itself is pretty stable, and if I VNC to my windows box and turn of the OSD and then turn it back on it seems to fix the problem immediately.

After I installed that driver, the latest mpeg decoder and MLBDudes addon it is much more stable (and with the weather plugin pretty damn cool)

Its of note though that I had a lot of other issues which I thought were video card related but ended up be settings related (digital out on my mobo would lock up the box when I was using the wrong setup in audio settings)