SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Sage User

S/PDIF...can't get it to work with SageTV

Ok, I've searched throughout the forum and some similar issues, but I think mine might be a little different. Hoping the experts out there can help me out with this.

Playing DVD's via Sage, I cannot seem to get S/PDIF to work at all. I've tried using WinDVD5 and PowerDVD5 without luck. I've seen a lot of reference to Sonic's decoders, but the trial version is unavailable at this time.

I have a Prodigy 7.1 soundcard which is set as default in MME for sound playback and recording. The Prodigy is also setup as the Audio Renderer in Sage. PowerDVD is currently setup as the Audio Decoder.

I initially had a problem with S/PDIF output to my Denon 3803 with both PowerDVD and WinDVD. After getting the Prodigy drivers settings corrected with Audiotrak's help, I was able to get S/PDIF output for DD/DTS with PowerDVD and only DD with WinDVD (DTS would cause an error with WinDVD. That's why I'm using PowerDVD as the decoder for now.)

So S/PDIF works outside of SageTV with PowerDVD(DD/DTS) and WinDVD(DD ONLY). However, I cannot get S/PDIF in SageTV. Any suggestions or advice with further troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Well I know WinDVD (the filter) never outputs S/PDIF without going registry diving. Just curious have you tried in any other apps? Like Zoomplayer. I ask because WinDVD for sure doesn't use the "filters" (or at least no the same settings) as other Dshow apps, PowerDVD may be the same way.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Sage User

Stanger89, thanks for your reply. I'll give Zoomplayer a try. I should only need to download the Freeware version of ZP, right? Or do I just need to download and use an AC3/DTS decoder such as AC3Filter?

Last edited by Esrsa4; 08-10-2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:20 AM
SageTVaholic

no powerDVD is not a registry pain like winDVD
it is very similiar to sonic when adjusting the filters
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Ok, I installed AC3Filter and have some partial success.
With everything set as follows:

AC3Filter set as the prefered/default AC3 audio decoder/filter and set to S/PDIF
DVD- audio decoder in Sage set to Default (no option in Sage to actually choose AC3Filter)
Audio Renderer in Sage set to Prodigy7.1

I now get Dolby Digital to my Denon3803 (DD light is on and Dobly Digital displayed on Denon. However, when I select DTS for the audio soundtrack, it seems to be out of sync (no sound and picture jittery or more like a slow ff) and the display on the Denon shows Pro Logic II.

I installed Zoomplayer, but I there wasn't an option in Sage to select it as an audio/video decoder so I don't think that would help me any. I'm going to try WinDVD again if I can find the registry fix for getting S/PDIF to work. Cyberlink still works fine passing DD/DTS, but not through Sage.

Last edited by Esrsa4; 08-11-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry, I just meant try zoomplayer to see if PowerDVD decoders work in it. It works essentially the same as Sage, but has some more detailed options. You'll need the Pro version, but you don't need to buy it just to test.

I'm guessing you need to set the Cyberlink filters to S/PDIF, Zoomplayer lets you get at the filter properties to do that. But so does graphedit, or the Radlight filter manager.

AC3Filter:
Which version did you get? And do you have AC3 and DTS selected for PDIF passthrough?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
Sorry, I just meant try zoomplayer to see if PowerDVD decoders work in it. It works essentially the same as Sage, but has some more detailed options. You'll need the Pro version, but you don't need to buy it just to test.
No problem.

Quote:
I'm guessing you need to set the Cyberlink filters to S/PDIF, Zoomplayer lets you get at the filter properties to do that. But so does graphedit, or the Radlight filter manager.
I've set PowerDVD to S/PDIF, but I think what you're saying is that the filters are not accessible through the application interface?

Quote:
AC3Filter:
Which version did you get? And do you have AC3 and DTS selected for PDIF passthrough?
I think the latest version v0.70b which has S/PDIF selectable in the options menu under the Main and Mixer tabs for speaker output.

From searching the help forum for AC3Filter, I found that someone wrote a patch to enable DTS passthrough over S/PDIF, but I have no clue on how to implement it.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Esrsa4
I've set PowerDVD to S/PDIF, but I think what you're saying is that the filters are not accessible through the application interface?
Yeah some apps (WinDVD for sure) use different settings (different filters too?) then when you use them via Dshow (Sage or Zoomplayer).

Zoomplayer (or Graphedit, Radlight) will let you change the filter settings directly (this doesn't work for WinDVD but sounds like it does for PowerDVD).

Quote:
I think the latest version v0.70b which has S/PDIF selectable in the options menu under the Main and Mixer tabs for speaker output.
You might want to try 1.01 RC5 then, it's got many more options than .7.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Quote:
From searching the help forum for AC3Filter, I found that someone wrote a patch to enable DTS passthrough over S/PDIF, but I have no clue on how to implement it.
Give RC5 a try.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89

You might want to try 1.01 RC5 then, it's got many more options than .7.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Give RC5 a try.
Yeah, looks like I downloaded a beta version. I'll give 1.01 RC5 a try let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Sage User

Ok, 1.01 RC5 was a no go. I couldn't get anything but PLII on the receiver.
Just to be sure, I had shut down Sage, uninstalled v0.07b, rebooted and installed RC5. The configuration was a little confusing for 1.01 RC5 in that on the Main tab there is a check box that is labeled []SPDIF (disabled). On the last tab there were check boxes for selecting what signals (DD, DTS, Mpeg Audio) to pass through for S/PDIF.

I initially didn't have the []SPDIF (disabled) checked and had DD, DTS, Mpeg Audio checked on the last page, but I still wasn't getting DD/DTS passed to the Denon. If I checked the []SPDIF (disabled) box and started a DVD movie (dvdshrink ripped files), Sage would hang and I'd have to End Task it. I unchecked, rechecked to be sure that that was what was causing Sage to hang. Also, I had tried changing Audio decoders in Sage with 1.01 RC5 to see if that had any effect, but no luck. Not the quite what I was looking for. So...

I uninstalled 1.01 RC5 rebooted, installed v0.07b again and I'm back to only being able to get DD passed through and not DTS. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get the above patch installed and see if that works.

I still have yet to try WinDVD (with registry changes) again.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Sage User

Well, looks like there are some issue with S/PDIF Passthrough and AC3Filter 1.01 RC5 which has been discussed in AVSForum and the Doom9 forum for anyone who is interested.

Last edited by Esrsa4; 08-11-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:28 PM
SageTVaholic

In that case, I'd get the Radlight filter manager:
http://www.radlight.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

And try and set the PowerDVD decoder to S/PDIF passthrough.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage User

Finally got DD/DTS passthrough it working!

Got it working with WINDVD5 that came with my Asus P4P800-E MB and a registry key change as posted by Stanger89 here.

However, on my version of WINDVD the registry key is located here:
HKLM\Software\Intervideo\WINDVD5\AUDIOOUTPUT= change value from 0 to1.

In Sage I have Audio Decoder set to Intervideo and Audio Renderer set to Prodigy7.1. That was it. Guess I should have tried this sooner than later.

Stanger, thanks for all your suggestions. They are much appreciated.