SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Optimal Architecture - How To use Sage.Server, Sage.Client and Sage.Recorder together

I currently have 4 Clients and one Server(3 encoders), and have been thinking about what the right architecture for this is.

My SageServer is currently the machine in my media room, I also use that machine to play games, surf, etc...

So My thought was this. Take the Media Room machine and covert it into a client, Move the SageServer(w/encoders) into my wiring closet.

Then I had another idea, What is the downfall of leaving the Sageserver in the media room, removing the encoders from it and putting them in my wiring closet on a machine running SageRecorder. What are the Pros/Cons this way.

What is the best way to get everything to play together. Where is the scheduling done from if I use the Sage.Recorders w/Network Encoding? Can Sage.Server run only using network encoders and nothing local? Can the SageRecorders record locally or where will the recordings go? What advantage does moving the Sage Server into the wiring closet have over just running a couple copies of SageRecorder??

Thoughts? Help? Suggestions? Leasons Learned?

Last edited by edbmdave; 08-24-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

I haven't set up network encoders, so take these comments with that in mind.

You can do all your scheduling from a client; you don't have to be on the server to do that.

Unless someone gives a good reason to do otherwise, I would _prefer_ (unless system capabilities prevent it: such as too many encoders) to have all tuners on the server and also store all recordings on that same PC. That way, you don't need to worry about using the network for recording/storage and you only need to keep 1 PC running to still have all your shows recorded. All setup, viewing, and control can be done from a client after that. One downside for the client, though: if there is no tuner with IR remote capability on the client, you'll need another receiver for your remote.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Could I not use a USB-UIRT for that on the client?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Sure you could -- I was just pointing out something not to overlook.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: Optimal Architecture - How To use Sage.Server, Sage.Client and Sage.Recorder toge

Quote:
Originally posted by edbmdave
I currently have 4 Clients and one Server(3 encoders), and have been thinking about what the right architecture for this is.

My SageServer is currently the machine in my media room, I also use that machine to play games, surf, etc...

So My thought was this. Take the Media Room machine and covert it into a client, Move the SageServer(w/encoders) into my wiring closet.
IMO that is the best way to go, mainly to pitfalls of the other possibilities, see below.

Quote:
Then I had another idea, What is the downfall of leaving the Sageserver in the media room, removing the encoders from it and putting them in my wiring closet on a machine running SageRecorder. What are the Pros/Cons this way.
The biggest downfall IMO, especially since it's not a dedicated Sage machine, is that if you manage to crash it, playing games, messing with settings, etc. You loose/interupt your recordings, viewing, other clients. Plus you'd have to buy a SageRecorder license.

Quote:
What is the best way to get everything to play together. Where is the scheduling done from if I use the Sage.Recorders w/Network Encoding? Can Sage.Server run only using network encoders and nothing local? Can the SageRecorders record locally or where will the recordings go? What advantage does moving the Sage Server into the wiring closet have over just running a couple copies of SageRecorder??
All the scheduling is done on the SageTV server, the server can be accessed from a Client (as you already know) but all the background, "record this show on this encoder now" processing is done on the server, network encoders dumb (not as in bad idea) in that they rely on the server to tell them when to start/stop.

Quote:
Thoughts? Help? Suggestions? Leasons Learned?
Like I said, I think your first idea is the best, it isolates the backend recording/scheduling functions from the user so even if a user breaks something it keeps going.