SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

Some things that would be nice

After using SageTV now for a week or so, I've noticed some things that would be welcome additions (I'm used to TiVo so maybe it's just me).

A single button to delete! I spent 15 minutes deleting shows last night after being gone for three days.

Multi-use buttons (IE in one menu they do X, in another menu that they would normally not function in they now do Y - this could allow for more functionality with the remote).

The ability to use the left arrow to back out of ANY screen, including live TV and setup.

Separate the My Favorite recordings from the IR recordings somehow (it seems IR records shows 24/7 instead of picking and choosing and can clutter-up things and make it difficult to find your Favorites).

A transparent details screen over live/recorded playback - and remove the menu option of Detail or Close - with only one option it seems strange to bring up a menu instead of just displaying the detail.

The more I use the program, the more I like it - Great Job... it may eventually replace my TiVo as my main PVR.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Sage User

Another thing I'd like to see is the actual filename of the recorded show in the program details. Some shows I'd like to archive to DVD and I have to go through the files looking at the file time stamps to figure out which one it is that contains the show I need.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

or even better, being able to launch an external command to deal with any file directly from the user interface..... Now, if there was just some commandline DVD authoring utility available...
Old 05-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

i'd love to see the following options make an apperance in the future

*) disable localPlay, especially handy for miniITX users where processor usage needs to be kept down. And if i have a 350 i use the tv-out on there so no need for localplay

*) OSD support for the 350 so i can see the epg on my tv when using hte tv-out on the 350

*) Ability to record a program i'm actually watching, kinda like a one key record. I appreciate sage is constantly recording but it's annoying if a program i want to record is in the middle of the stream it's recording i have to manually edit it. I'd much rather just have a button that i can press which will record the program i'm watching until i press stop or something. Then add it to the library

that's it

appart from the above i'm a happy (registered) sage user
Old 05-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Sage

If there was a way to author a DVD from the command line...I'd be all over that. Let me know if one surfaces.

Currently the easiest way to see what the file is for a show is to watch it. While you're watching something, the System Information displays what the actual file is.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Sage Expert

I agree... the one-touch record would be a nice addition as well. Although if a PVR is good enough (SageTV is the closest you can get on the PC) you are never surfing channels, as there's always something good to watch.

After looking at the system again during lunch, it does appear the My Favorites are at the top, and they have an outline around them.

Will there be eventual improvements in IR? It seems that it thinks it has to record something every minute of every day (I understand the live TV buffer, but why add the show to my recorded programs selection)? For example, it recorded about 15 Paid Programming segments over the weekend. I'm not sure how "intelligent" it is If nothing is on that I'd be interested in (based on my viewing habbits and My Favorites) then why record it??
Old 05-28-2003, 05:56 PM

Narflex said:
Quote:
Currently the easiest way to see what the file is for a show is to watch it. While you're watching something, the System Information displays what the actual file is.
This may tell you the information. But there is no way to easily copy it, and typing the info gets very tedidius for 3 shows a day. For me that's at least fifteen a week, alot of work. This method also allows for user error ie typos or switching show descriptions.

I again request an export feature for recorded shows. PLEASE I know you are working on a long term solution to the metadata issue, but many of us archive our shows. SageTV should have an option to export a recorded show with the title and episode discription as part of the file name.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Sage

How about if I add the ability for you to run an EXE that SageTV will pass the list of file(s) (if that show is made up of more than one file) for a selected file in the EPG?

So you'd have to add something to the properties file like:

file_options_exe\0\name=Export Files
file_options_exe\0\launcher=MyExportProgram.exe
file_options_exe\0\confirm=true

Then you'd see the 'Export Files' option for any Files in the EPG. and if you selected it, first it'd ask you to confirm what you just did since that's set to true and then it would run something like:
MyExportProgram.exe E:\Video\Simpsons-132123-0.mpg

Would that make everyone happy?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

FYI,

I've been playing with DVDLAB as a DVD authoring tool. If you drop the SageTV file into it, it will break down to audio / video streams. You then drag them to the default movie. Delete the default menu and set the movie as first play & compile. Very simple and it works [YMMV]. ($79) [I'm not associated with DVDLAB at all].

Its not exactly a command line authoring tool, but the author is like Jeff and has a load of features promissed over the next 6-12 months. One feature is a scripting language....

-Stan
Old 05-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Sage User

I use DVDLab, but have audio sync problems. I have to massage the file in Womble first. What's your setup (bitrate, VBR/CBR, audio, hardware, etc)?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:53 PM

Are you using DVD or Program stream dervari
Old 05-29-2003, 01:07 AM

Narflex said:
Quote:
How about if I add the ability for you to run an EXE that SageTV will pass the list of file(s) (if that show is made up of more than one file) for a selected file in the EPG? .....Then you'd see the 'Export Files' option for any Files in the EPG. and if you selected it, first it'd ask you to confirm what you just did since that's set to true and then it would run something like:
MyExportProgram.exe E:\Video\Simpsons-132123-0.mpg

Would that make everyone happy?
If it had the ability to pass(say as arguments) show title, episode title and maybe even show discription I would be very happy. I'm mainly after the show title(already a part of SageTV's naming convention) and episode title(currently a number that SageTV's database matches to the show's detailed info).

Like I said in another thread I archive(after editting out the commercials) alot of my shows to Divx/xvid and then burn them onto CD/DVD. Or if I really like a show, I burn the editted MPG straight to CD/DVD. So "Duckman-Bonfire of the Panties.mpg" instead of "Duckman-202292-0.mpg" is all I really want. I got this example by openning a file manager and comparing the time/date stamp to the time/date stamp for a Duckman episode in SageTV. I can easily copy the title to the clipboard with the file manager, it's in SageTV that I need a way to copy the episode title to the clipboard.

I realize that SageTV would not recognise this file's detailled info, if I later added it back to the library folder. But for most of my stuff the export format of "ShowTitlte-EpisodeTitle.mpg" is all I reall need. If the method you describe at the top, would allow EpisodeTitles to be passed to the external program. Then I guess I,or a real programmer, could find a way to parse this data into a new file name.

I'm sorry if I'm a pain in the butt. It's just that the ability to export a show in the "ShowTitle-EpisodeTitle.mpg" filename format would make my life so much easier. Thanx for listening and contunuing to improve an already great product.

Last edited by justme; 05-29-2003 at 01:14 AM.