SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

View Poll Results: Is SP2 a worthy upgrade for Sage Servers?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

side tracking a bit

Too bad the poll question was "Is SP2 a worthy upgrade for Sage Servers?"

If we were to throw out the VMR9 stuff (which barely works right anyway even on high end equipment), then I would see the question somewhat redundant.

A more honest question might be "Is XP a worthy upgrade for a dedicated SageTV machine?"... and SP2 for XP wouldn't much matter then.

For "normal average" SageTV usage there really is no need of an overblown OS like XP. Windows 98 works fine (as long as we forget about VMR9).

However, since the question was worded "for Sage Servers"... there's a bug in v2.0.20 were it will not function properly as a "server" under Win98 (been told may be fixed in next release).

Assuming that bug does get fixed, I will most likely redo my Sage Server back to Win98 (and also throw out the Roslyn card in that machine too), since neither actually provides anything I need for my own usage.

Now, before everyone starts jumping on my about bashing XP again... I'm not saying there aren't a few nice extra features or advantages to using XP.

All I'm saying is that for my own use I haven't found a need for XP yet (that, of course, could change in time if I decide to get any other fancy newer software).
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 PM
SageTVaholic

what about the FAT32 file system(win98)
do you not want NTFS?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
what about the FAT32 file system(win98)
do you not want NTFS?
Not really. Even in my XP setup I still use FAT32.

As I said, there are some nice features in XP. For the most part the only real one though is the fact that you can have over 4gig files with NTFS. That really don't matter to me (at this point) though.

And, of course, everyones been told to use 64K cluster size which can only be done with NTFS and not FAT32.

But, that really doesn't solve anything as far as stuttering or fragmentation goes. It just takes longer for things to get fragmented.

The 64K cluster size to me seems like only a temporary work around other system problems. Since I don't have any of those playback stutter problems with FAT32, I haven't found any real need for NTFS (yet).

Again, don't get me wrong here. I know other people don't have as good of luck with Win98 as I do, and for those maybe XP is a better choice.

All I'm saying is for me XP just seems to be overkill for something as simplistic as "average" PVR usage, but I know others don't have as good of luck with Win98.

If I had any need for any of the Microsoft Office stuff (which I never will), then I'd have to run XP.

As I said, maybe in time if/when I change to other newer software I'll have to go with XP. Till then, XP is only a play toy on the side for me. For anything serious I'll usually still use 98.

But hey, that's just me
Old 09-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Sage Icon

Hmmm ... So far on the votes we're in a dead heat ... 50/50 !!

Interesting ...
Old 09-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Getting back on topic (from my side driffing above). My own thoughts or opinion are that SP2 really is not of any importance as far as SageTV usage. The bulk of SP2 is security fixes which should not even be a concern for using SageTV (as long as a firewall is in use...either external or Windows own).

However, for those that might be doing other Internet access from the same machine they are running SageTV on... then SP2 definately should be installed.

I'm not sure just what you are trying to find out in this poll since there are other threads relating to problems with or without SP2. In that regard, SP2 has not seemed to have solved any other SageTV problems (that I'm aware of). Only added some kind of DirectX problem (which only some people seem to be having).

Although interesting, I do still wonder exactly what you are trying to find out with this poll that wasn't covered elsewhere?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by mls
I do still wonder exactly what you are trying to find out with this poll that wasn't covered elsewhere?
Thanks, I was afraid we were heading down that rabbit trail ... I was really not looking to fond out all of that is wrong with SP2 or what it can do. I already know that from the trades.

Simply put, SP2 has been available for over a month now and I am sure some here have taken the plunge. I have not for my Sage Server. Since I have no current Sage / OS issues, I wanted to know, as I am sure others would, what the experience of others who have upgraded was. How, if at all, did SP2 impact the Sage Server. Such as, "I installed SP2 on my server and ... this happened." Also I wanted to just take an overall vote on "Is SP2 a worthy upgrade for Sage Servers?" at all.

So, the point is to leverage what others have experienced as to not repeat what was already known about any problem areas and secondarily, is it even worth going there at all or just hang with SP1a for a while.

I call this taking advantage of lessons learned and leveraging this forum for what it is very good at ... advice ...

Make sense?

T.

Last edited by mightyt; 09-23-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

well with a 4GB file size limit
that must mean you are using low recording qualities
personally I prefer higher ones
why not use 2000 PRO if you hate XP so much
Old 09-25-2004, 02:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
well with a 4GB file size limit
that must mean you are using low recording qualities
personally I prefer higher ones
why not use 2000 PRO if you hate XP so much
Actually, the file size limit works out nicely since it splits any long show into sections that I can burn to a DVD. Otherwise, I'd have to manually split larger files to burn to DVD's (single layer of course, can't find any dual layer disks cheap anywhere yet).

As for Win2K... I have considered it, but haven't found a cheap deal on it. If I do I WILL give it a try though. Otherwise, I'll continue my learning efforts with Linux, or move on to an Apple. Hey, I like "playing" with many operating systems. Many of the other ones I've "played" with I like. The only 2 I don't like just happen to be WinME and XP, but that's just my own personal taste I guess
Old 09-25-2004, 04:55 AM
SageTVaholic

If you don't like XP you're not going to like Win2k. They're pretty much the same OS, although XP comes with a silly skin enabled by default and has better multimedia and device layer.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
If you don't like XP you're not going to like Win2k. They're pretty much the same OS, although XP comes with a silly skin enabled by default and has better multimedia and device layer.
It's easy enough to get rid of the default XP "Candyland" theme. Right click on the desktop and change the theme to windows clasic. You can also right click on the taskbar->select properties->start menu tab->classic start menu.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

It was supplied to me via the MCE 2005 update beta. If you're looking at getting 4.0 of NVDVD, your best bet will be TT2 (I think it's version 2), it's going to be included with that DVD system, and I think it's really worth it, since TT is the best Dvd player for the PC around.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Sage Icon

Talking THANKS YOU ALL !!!

So ... The poll closed and out of 16 responses we got 9 yep ... and 7 not ... I am surprised it was so close and that the Yeps took off slowly and eventually took the lead.

Still, it leaves me with the same quandary ... the results tell me it's not a clear yes or no ... no resounding do it or don't so it.

Then for me, I will probably hold a short while longer until I make some big change to my system and do it then. Doesn't appear to require me to rush and do it. This may give it a little more time to stabilize.

Lastly, I appreciate your taking the time to vote and even post your thoughts and comments ...

Regards, T.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
So ... The poll closed and out of 16 responses we got 9 yep ... and 7 not ... I am surprised it was so close and that the Yeps took off slowly and eventually took the lead.

Still, it leaves me with the same quandary ... the results tell me it's not a clear yes or no ... no resounding do it or don't so it.

Then for me, I will probably hold a short while longer until I make some big change to my system and do it then. Doesn't appear to require me to rush and do it. This may give it a little more time to stabilize.

Lastly, I appreciate your taking the time to vote and even post your thoughts and comments ...

Regards, T.
Well...Is it worth upgrading? If you have your sagetv box behind some kind of firewall (including a dsl modem that does NAT for you) and you use it only as a PVR. Then the answer is no. Installing SP2 will not improve the performance of SageTV. It may or may not cause problems for you. If you use said computer for things other then sage, then I'd say give it a try. If it causes problems, you can always uninstall it.