SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

PVR250 Drivers.. worth an upgrade?

Hey everyone,

I've got two of the PVR250's V16 in my PVR using the drivers that have been around since I set it up in March (back in the days when a 250 v16 and a 350 v15 were big no-no's).

Since I still don't plan on putting my PVR350 card into this system, should I consider upgrading the drivers, or since it is stable, should I leave it alone?

Is there any type of benefit from the newer drivers?

Thanks!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh
Hey everyone,

Since I still don't plan on putting my PVR350 card into this system, should I consider upgrading the drivers, or since it is stable, should I leave it alone?

Thanks!!!
It it is working, leave it alone, I say. I made the mistake once of upgrading video drivers and it cause a problem. I decided to treat my HTPC as an appliance. It it is working, leave it alone and enjoy!

I've been stable ever since...
Old 10-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
It it is working, leave it alone, I say. I made the mistake once of upgrading video drivers and it cause a problem. I decided to treat my HTPC as an appliance. It it is working, leave it alone and enjoy!

I've been stable ever since...
I respectfully disagree. I say, back it up, and hack and slash. Specifically, if you don't keep changing the system, you could miss a completely unknown feature that might make the system even cooler than it was before.

Now, after having said that, I keep a weekly image of the entire OS drive (the only thing on the OS drive is the OS and the SageTV app) so that I can restore if I really mess something up.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 10-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
I respectfully disagree. I say, back it up, and hack and slash. Specifically, if you don't keep changing the system, you could miss a completely unknown feature that might make the system even cooler than it was before.

Now, after having said that, I keep a weekly image of the entire OS drive (the only thing on the OS drive is the OS and the SageTV app) so that I can restore if I really mess something up.
Certainly an option. But I would ask this? What is cooler than a well-tuned, working system? If something isn't working, by all means, try to fix it. But it it is working, sit back and enjoy watching TV.

I would ask myself the question, Did I put this PC together with Sage to tune, or to watch TV?

Krutaw definitely made an important point. Backup. A crashed hardware(or bad driver) is a trap easily side-stepped by backing up.

Take a look at CasperXP.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Certainly an option. But I would ask this? What is cooler than a well-tuned, working system? If something isn't working, by all means, try to fix it. But it it is working, sit back and enjoy watching TV.

I would ask myself the question, Did I put this PC together with Sage to tune, or to watch TV?

Krutaw definitely made an important point. Backup. A crashed hardware(or bad driver) is a trap easily side-stepped by backing up.

Take a look at CasperXP.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm saying break it just for the sake of breaking it. I'm saying.. the journey is the fun part. It's all about learning from my mistakes personally. Thus, the backup. hehe

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm saying break it just for the sake of breaking it. I'm saying.. the journey is the fun part. It's all about learning from my mistakes personally. Thus, the backup. hehe
I won't. I agree with you that if tinkering can also be fun. Getting that perfect systems is right up there with all of us as a major reason for going this route. After I finish a work related project I'm working on, I'm going to finish some tweaking with myHTPC and the SendMessage Utility.