SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Minimum possible hdd size and Max Buffer size in Sage Client?

While I am very new to posting on the forum, I have been looking in from the sidelines for a while. I am currently using the demo of sagetv and client. I am trying to determine what the absolute smallest storage space required for sage client is. I've read a few different posts, one saying that sage doesn't use buffers and another saying that it buffers the entire show, the latter makes a bit more sense. Does anyone out there know the maximum size that the buffer would reach is? 500mb 1000mb 2000mb 10gb? I'm building a highly customized hardware and OS configuration for the client, where the smaller the storage space the better.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
I've read a few different posts, one saying that sage doesn't use buffers and another saying that it buffers the entire show, the latter makes a bit more sense.
Sage records everything on a per show basis (liveTV too). So you need enough space to hold 1 show. However that is on the Sage server, AFIAK, SageClient stores no video on the HDD it's just streamed directly from the Server. All video is stored in the recording directories set up on the server.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

so there is no buffer retained on the client? when it rewinds it has to go back to the server and re-obtain the data? With this being the case, I should be able to install sage client on a 1-2gb drive?(still need room for the OS)
Old 10-08-2004, 11:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Yup.