SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question Closed Captioning V2.1

Closed captioning is available in V2.1, although it is experimental and unsupported. See the last page of the manual for details.

I'm currently updating my STV file and am wondering if I need to keep the CC support I added or if everyone prefers the CC that SageTV 2.1 provides.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Are you going to create modules or just a full STV refresh?

I would say let's try the "native" cc since it is there.

Are you going to make a STV module for ComSkip for 2.1?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Sage Expert

so, can i update to 2.1 and still use my STV (nielm)?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

The current SageTV 2.1 implementation of CC can't be displayed through pvr-350 and some mpeg2 video decoders. So, I want to know if anyone who uses closed captioning regularly needs me to keep my implementation because of this or they just prefer it. I don't use closed captioning, so I'd prefer to dump the extra code, but I'll keep it if need be.

Yes, my next release will be a continuation of the STV file with commercial skip support.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
so, can i update to 2.1 and still use my STV (nielm)?
That's something you'll have to ask nielm. Old STV should, for the most part, still work, but some of the changes to SageTV might effect functionallity and you won't have any access to much of the new features 2.1 adds.

Last edited by malore; 10-14-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Sage Expert

thanks for the answer malore.

BTW, I guess you are going to be first out of the gate with a customized STV with 2.1 support (unless the ever active laurenglenn has somethign to say about it). But kudos to you for working on it.

Also, if I understand whats going on (which I don't know if i do), can't you just make a CC module for 2.1 and then jsut forget about it?

EDIT: I guess this applies to ComSkip as well. I guess I don't understand the modularity yet. Doesn't this mean you no longer have to include everything into the STV and you can separate out things like ComSkip and CC from the main part of the STV?

Last edited by abasu2003; 10-14-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
Closed captioning is available in V2.1, although it is experimental and unsupported. See the last page of the manual for details.

I'm currently updating my STV file and am wondering if I need to keep the CC support I added or if everyone prefers the CC that SageTV 2.1 provides.
Malore ~

I'd appreciate it if you'd keep that code in your STV until they're able to support the output on the PVR-350. I just got it working for my wife, and she was so happy.

Either way though, kudos to you for both all of your hard work so far, and your continued efforts. You are appreciated.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 10-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

In 2.1, I see the Closed Caption option in the Recording options screen. But pressing it does nothing. As if it wasn't a button or selection at all. What does that mean? (I had trouble with Malore's nice solution, too. I could generate the caption file, but I could not get it to display.) I'm back to the OriginalV2 SVT.

My display card is an ATI 9600XT, the encoders are PVR250s, and I use the Sonic video decoder. I'm using 2.1 client on the same computer that the server software is running. Other that for closed captioning, everything else seems fine.

Last edited by David Lawrance; 10-15-2004 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
thanks for the answer malore.

BTW, I guess you are going to be first out of the gate with a customized STV with 2.1 support (unless the ever active laurenglenn has somethign to say about it). But kudos to you for working on it.

Also, if I understand whats going on (which I don't know if i do), can't you just make a CC module for 2.1 and then jsut forget about it?

EDIT: I guess this applies to ComSkip as well. I guess I don't understand the modularity yet. Doesn't this mean you no longer have to include everything into the STV and you can separate out things like ComSkip and CC from the main part of the STV?
The *everactive*?

Narflex made it quite simple to do CC in 2.1..... I did like the custom CC support Malore had though. It worked well on my PVR-350.

Although, the 2.1 Closed Captioning has been in mine for weeks now, and it didn't seem advantageous to put custom CC in mine with 2.1 being released when it was.

But, I agree... Kudos for the CC and the Comskip implementation! Very nice features.

Lauren

Last edited by laurenglenn; 10-15-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:16 AM

Please keep your CC code in your updated STV.

I for one would like to humbly request you keep "your CC code" in your updated STV. Given the current state of support/limitations of Sage's unofficial CC, I feel your code is the best bet. The 350 support is something that would make your version the only good CC option for me. Hopefully Narflex will improve the CC implementation over time and you can drop your code(if you wish) without anyone losing any functions.

If nothing else then it would be great if you could at least make you CC code available as a module. Although I fully admit not knowing the difficulty/practicality of this, as I'm just starting(this is my first post in a LONG time) to try and catch up with all the changes that have occured since I've been absent.

Either way thanks for all your efforts on the CC front. You've made Sage very usefull to me and my wife, without your CC support SageTV would have never replaced our Tivo as our main PVR.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Hey justme -- Welcome back!

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
Either way thanks for all your efforts on the CC front. You've made Sage very usefull to me and my wife, without your CC support SageTV would have never replaced our Tivo as our main PVR.
You're welcome and I left the code in. My family's main PVR is still our Tivo, that leaves SageTV all for me.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Sage Expert

I couldn't find a better place to post the question, but for CC, why are there 2 files generated (an smi and an srt)? most have both but some only have an srt, and i can't seem to use the srt file for closed captions. any help or point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

.srt and .smi are just different standards for representing CC data. I chose to support the .smi format, because I found it to be the easiest to parse. You can also try using them with a media player like ZoomPlayer or Microsoft Media Player.