SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help - No 2.1 Client Connection!?!

Hi,

I just installed the new 2.1 server and updated my client machine as well... Now, the server (service and UI) seem ok, but the client won't connect. I'm running WinXP SP1, and the built-in firewalls are currently disabled while i'm working on this. The 2.1 client states that it's sagetv_port=42024, which is the same as 2.0. Is this correct? Do I need to change anything?

very frustrated at the moment, but i know it's something silly.

thoughts?

thanks!
Old 10-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
I have the same exact problem after upgrading my 2.0.20 to 2.1 RC4. Any ideas why?
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm. So I seem to have solved the problem by *not* running in Service mode. As soon as I disabled the service, rebooted, and ran the SageTV 2.1 app, the client found the server.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Well if you are running WinXP SP2 then go to control pannel and then to Windows Firewall. Then add SageTVService to the list of allowed programs or add its port to which connections could be established. Client will then be able to connect.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

you might want to try changing the user name and password for the Service to logon as in the SageTVServiceContol program. It kind of sounds like you might have a security issue.

John
Old 11-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Sage Icon

I had the same problem and had to add SageTVService.exe to the exceptions list. SageTV was already there, that is what you get when you run the app and not the service. I just added both.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok. So I somehow have the main UI starting in service mode on a fresh reboot. *But*, if I exit the main UI and try to restart it, it will freeze on "Initializing Service..."

This is driving me a bit nuts. It's great that the service runs with the UI and continues recording if the UI crashes, but it's of only limited use if a reboot is required to get back the UI.

I did add the service, main UI (sagetv.exe), *and* client (sagetvclient.exe) to the firewall exceptions in XP.

thoughts?

thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

I tried to connect with my clients for 2.1 and they were unable to connect.

Also I get a java runtime error when trying to do the sagetv service.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have another clue, possibly. If I change parameters in detailed setup or which STV I'm using and quit Sage and reboot, the changes are lost if I'm running in Service mode. In non-service mode, quitting and restarting keeps the changes.

still no idea why.

thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Those of you having trouble, what account are you running the service under, and does it have Administrator privilages?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:37 AM
SageTVaholic

... and is the sage.properties file and the wiz.bin (and what the hell, the whole sage DIR) security settings allow full control to the service user...
Old 11-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm. I'm running the service under Local System default right now, and I am logged in as an administrator (different account, with admin rights). As for nielm's suggestion, how would I check?

thanks for the quick replies!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotuitdan
Hmmm. I'm running the service under Local System default right now, and I am logged in as an administrator (different account, with admin rights). As for nielm's suggestion, how would I check?

thanks for the quick replies!
There is one problem. Set up another user account for the SageTV service. I called mine SageTV - it must have a password. Just make sure it is an administrative account. You may have to set the password on the SageTV service for this account from the Windows service manager (I did anyway).

What nielm is saying, I believe, is that you need to set the permisions on the Frey Technologies directory for the service user account I mentioned above to allow full access. If you set the service user account above to be an administrative account it will have full access so the change in permissions should not be necessary.

Hope that helps.
BobP.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've now tried the following with no success:
1. Enable service to "interact with desktop" while service logged in as "Local System" and I'm logged in as Administrator.
2. Enable service logged in as an administrator user while I'm logged in as an administrator.

no luck yet.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I'm curious... did you ever submit a tech support request? (I may have just missed that comment.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

I submitted a support request just before the final 2.1 was released, at dkardatzke's suggestion. Support e-mailed me that they don't support Beta builds and I should try the final build. I, as you know, have the same problem with the final build, but I haven't had the time while home to dig up the support reply, copy out my logs, and resubmit the request. Of course, it's *exactly* the same problem, so maybe I don't need to send new supporting docs.

thanks!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Just so you know: during the beta process, you would file a bug report (the link was in the post for each beta release); after the full release, you would file a tech support request.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, Andy,

I'll try to resubmit the request tonight or tomorrow, time permitting.

:-)