SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
100% CPU utilization at User Interface Manager is initializing

I've recently installed the latest beta client available 2.1.7 RC4. When I would initially launch the application (it didn't work even as a service) it would peg the cpu at 100% utilization.

After some digging, it appears that my existing wiz.bin and wiz.bak files were the culprit. Annoying that I have the choice of losing my favorite STV and all historical data in order to upgrade to the beta.

I personally think I'm going to be reverting to the 2.0.20 build and waiting until the wiz.bin corrupts itself, or until one of the commercial advance STV's comes out for 2.1.

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 10-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
I've recently installed the latest beta client available 2.1.7 RC4. When I would initially launch the application (it didn't work even as a service) it would peg the cpu at 100% utilization.

After some digging, it appears that my existing wiz.bin and wiz.bak files were the culprit. Annoying that I have the choice of losing my favorite STV and all historical data in order to upgrade to the beta.

I personally think I'm going to be reverting to the 2.0.20 build and waiting until the wiz.bin corrupts itself, or until one of the commercial advance STV's comes out for 2.1.
I would like to make sure that everyone understands that it's not a matter of not being grateful for advancements, but having a WAF that has to be met. ;-) hehe

- Walt Disney
Old 10-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
I have the same feeling, but I like SageTVservice a lot... no more missing recordings because of the sage crashed...
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutaw
I would like to make sure that everyone understands that it's not a matter of not being grateful for advancements, but having a WAF that has to be met. ;-) hehe
They can not fix a problem unless they know about it. Make sure to send a bug report and let them know that the wiz.bin was the cuprit. I suspect they will ask you to send the Wiz.bin and Sage.properties files so they can try and reproduce it in house to fix it for others in the final release. Since the Wiz.bin does not cause problems in 2.0.20 then it is most likely a bug in 2.1 that is the problem and not corruption.

John
Old 10-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
They can not fix a problem unless they know about it. Make sure to send a bug report and let them know that the wiz.bin was the cuprit. I suspect they will ask you to send the Wiz.bin and Sage.properties files so they can try and reproduce it in house to fix it for others in the final release. Since the Wiz.bin does not cause problems in 2.0.20 then it is most likely a bug in 2.1 that is the problem and not corruption.

John
You know, I really should have noted that I filled out a bug report before posting in the forum. Mind you, I did search the forum first. hehe

- Walt Disney
Old 11-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
I think Sage has corrected this problem, in my 2.1.9 it seems I dont have such problem anymore... I'm loving it
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Sage Icon

I'm having similar problems now with the 2.1 release. Everything started out fine, ran overnight without problems, then I check it this morning, and it was crashed.

Fine I said to myself, so I restarted sagetv (the instance, not the service) and it hasn't worked since.

The sage service started getting pegged at 100%cpu, then I turned it off, and then without the service, it got stuck at full cpu, then I repaired the installation, still same, brought back my 2.0.20 folder, that got the same error, repaired that, same thing.

I'm very frustrated right now, this is the first day sage has been down for more than 10 minutes since I started using it in January.....going to reinstall sage clean next chance I get, and try from scratch.

I'll post a bug report too. I think it may be service, pvr350, and end of file related, as I got the same problem with RC4, and abandoned an installation. That time it was fixed by reinstalling 2.0.20 over my RC4 installation. That didn't fix things this time. Last time, 2.1RC4 was fine until I got an end-of-file crash, and then I got the same behavior. Both times running as a service, and using the 350 output.

I wonder if there's an advantage to running as a service when using the 350 output. If the card is being used to output, and it crashes, it will obviously crash the recording too. I like the idea of a service a lot, but I haven't had much luck with it yet.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aberson
possible solution?

This thread is a pretty old, but I've just run into this problem (100% or 99% CPU Utilization, Sage locks up either at "User Interface Manager is initializing" or "SageTV Core is Initializing")

I THINK the problem actually was due to a corrupt recording. I tried various combinations of deleting my win.bin/bak and sage.properties/bak.

Once I eventually got sage to load (I think it was wiz.bak and no properties file), but with a default sage.properties, I started adding back in my Video directories. I have 5 different partitions (long story). A few seconds after I added the last one (c:\recordings), sage jumped to 99% utilization.

So, I went back to square one and repeated the above with a fresh properties file. This time I restarted sage in between each directory - just to make sure I wasn't being caught by some weird delay. I eventually narrowed it down to c:\recordings being the culprit.

I looked in c:\recordings and found a 100MB mpg file, when most of my files are 600MB... suspiciously, I think it had the same timestamp as when Sage crashed while I was using it. So, I deleted that file. In addition, I deleted a bunch of orphaned .xml files, AND I tried to free up some space. While I was at it, I freed up some space in all of the recording directories by deleting some old stuff.

I then restored my original wiz.bin (I think) and sage.properties, but I manually removed the c:\recordings from the sage.properties. Once sage seemed to be running correctly, I then went back and added c:\recordings from the setup menu.

So, while the culprit could have been just a general amount of clutter and no-space-left sorta problem, I think it really was this partial recording.

Adam
Old 06-22-2005, 02:52 AM
SageTVaholic

You should report this to support -- sage should be able to cope with corrupt MPG files... If you still have that 100Mb file (it may be in the recycle bin) you might want to keep it somewhere out of the way, in case support might want to run some tools on it.

In the future, you can use NTFileMon from www.sysinternals.com to detect what files a process has open -- you may be able to see that Sage has opened an MPG file, and is stuck while reading it.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

And, I know this is off-topic, but how do you get 600MB MPG files? Mine generally run about 3GB for an hour-long show.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Thats aberson's point: Sage probably crashed leaving a corrupt MPG, because it is obviously too short...
[edit] ignore me... it was the 100Mb one that was too short!

Last edited by nielm; 06-22-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

It all depends on your quality setting. I run DVD Extra Long Play and it runs ~800/half-hour and a full hour runs ~1.6GB. So, I assume that he is running a slightly lower quality setting.